I Want To Breed Wakins

Guest kane123

Guest kane123

Hello every one, I'm from Thailand, my name is Kane. I plan to build a new house next 3 months and I want to make a very big pool for my lovely Wakins.

BUT!!! I have only 2 Wakins, what should I do??? I don't want to buy 1,000 Wakin for my pool. I want to breed it. I guess I will buy more large adult Wakins,but I don't know the sex of the Wakin, how to breed them, how to take care of them (and It's fry).

I have 1 months to collect the information, after that I'll start to breed them. NEED HELP!!!!

(Please, it's my dream with my Wakins!!!!)

Hi Kane! Breeding stars are white spots that a male goldfish gets on his gill covers and pectoral fins when he's ready to breed. The most common time for goldfish to breed is in spring when the cold water starts to warm up. That's when I get the most fry anyway. Some goldfish breed all spring and summer depending on food availability, water quality, average temperature, and even weather conditions. It's not something you have to really think hard about. Just provide a spacious, well planted environment with high quality food and water and the fish will do the rest.

Guest kane123

You mean it's only appear at large adult wakins right? And what if I try medium adult, is it a bad thing? (breed young hedgehog = bad, is it equal to the fish?) my wakin now is about 4-5"

do I have to breed only 8" fishes?

Most goldfish can breed successfully at about three yrs. Breeding attempts younger than that often (but not always) result in infertile eggs and/or unhealthy or deformed young.

Actually it's just based off of probability as a three year old goldfish should produce more fries thus giving a higher yield of higher quality fishes. As with most batches of fry only a small percent would be a standard fancy goldfish.

Also it's hard to see the stars in smaller fishes as well, so breeders would wait for the fishes to become bigger. Add, picking a quality fish to match up with may require 3 years (the minimum time needed to achieve the ranchu's Yokozuna status by several divisions in Japan for ranchus) thus making a very distinct blood line.

As for a wakin which is namely a double tale common, it would probably be a lot easier to breed a standard wakin then it would be a fancy.

Good luck in breeding Kane.

Cool learn some thing new every day! All of my fish breeding younger than three always turned up infertile eggs or if any hatched they were such poor quality that I culled them. I never got any even pet quality stock from fish younger than three. Clearly I don't know every thing! :D

Cool learn some thing new every day! All of my fish breeding younger than three always turned up infertile eggs or if any hatched they were such poor quality that I culled them. I never got any even pet quality stock from fish younger than three. Clearly I don't know every thing! :D

Yeah, it's just luck. I've managed to get a few short tail ryukins (1 to 1 height to length ratio with a good symmetry) in the past from two 2 year old ryukins.

Of course you really need to cull those which are bad.

Edited by maniacholic

2 is the minimum number of tanks/ponds/tubs you need to breed fishes with, as 1 is for the parents and 1 is for growing the fries to a good size. If you're into quality however, you need 3 as you need a tank which would be easy for you to pick out bad specimens for culling.

Guest kane123
2 is the minimum number of tanks/ponds/tubs you need to breed fishes with, as 1 is for the parents and 1 is for growing the fries to a good size. If you're into quality however, you need 3 as you need a tank which would be easy for you to pick out bad specimens for culling.

I love fishes with quality (Healthy) for sure, but why I need 3?

1. Parents

2. Fries

3. for??

(sorry for a lot of questions but I really don't know) :krazy:

You need a smaller (10-20 gallons) glass tank so you can see which fish is deformed from the side view. After picking out all that would just produce unwanted ammonia you need to transfer the fries to a larger container to grow them out.

Usually the third container is a tub which would be placed outside to grow green water, but is deep enough to stay cool.