White Cloud Mountain Minnow Fry!

That is totally incredible :thud !!! There I was getting ready to explain how we all lost fry mysteriously and then suddenly the little fella enters again stage left! How amazing is that! Where do you think he was hiding? I know they are small but where does a fry go?

Well it's very happy news and I hope you can put a ribbon on that little one and when he gets bigger give him a suitable name :hi5

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's a puzzle... he was definately missing, I had a few people look for him as well as me. He's now the smallest by a very long way - I'm wondering if he got stuck under the sponge filter or something - we looked under there but maybe he was really stuck? I don't know, but he was gone and now he's back - I need to try and feed him up now - the largest one is almost twice the size of him already :)

Fry update. Well, they're all doing fine - definately growing. Although, one of them is much, much bigger than the others. I managed to get them out of the plastic tub into an 8 gal glass tank instead - it's much better as I can keep a closer eye on them now and I can see them from a side view too which makes it more fun keeping them. Will try to get some pictures when I can :)

Thanks Frazer :)

Unfortunately, when they've grown out a bit I probably won't be able to keep them :( My minnow tank is already fully stocked, so I can't keep these guys permenantly as well. When it's time I'm gonna try and re-home them locally, maybe with a friend or relative.

I know exactly how it feels, I have too many fry but I want to keep at least 2... I want, I want...

I definately wanna see pics of those little ones, and how much they differ from goldie fry. How big is a grown minnow?

Yeah, I really wish I could keep them long term too.... :( Will see how things turn out.

How big is a grown minnow?

Usually 1-1.5 inches fully grown - very occasionally they can get to 2 inches, but generally speaking they're on the smaller side :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

Fry update! :rolleyes: I spent some time observing them closely today - they're starting to look like proper fish now! I can clearly make out their eyes now, they all have a blue-ish/silvery tone to their bodies and at least two of them seem to have fully developed caudal fin shape now, whereas the others still look a little bit tadpole-ish in body shape. I've switched to ready hatched baby brine shrimp now and they seem to be loving them too. Still trying to get some better pictures - I think I may have to wait a litle bit longer for those yet though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Another fry unpdate! :rolleyes: I can't believe it - it's coming up to 5 weeks since I rescued them already, and they must have been a couple of days old then. Anyway, they are doing really well. I'd say three of them are about 10 mm or so now - maybe the largest is slightly bigger again, there are two which around the 5-6 mm mark and one who doesn't seemed to have grown too much at all and is still only a couple of mm's long. All the others seem to have fully formed caudel fins now and are changing colour fast. All seem to be eating well, although like I said one of them isn't growing much :( Still trying to get half-decent pictures! :rolleyes::D

Still not got any good ones - I've been so busy this week. They've really grown though! The largest three have all developed colour - on one of them you can even see the distinctive red splodge on the tail fin! The other three are still very small and very slow growing :(

Color already!! They'll be having kids of their own soon :lol1 its all happeneing so fast MrB and we are not getting enough pix to see all the stages-but I know you've been very busy recently and understand completely. Just excited!! I'd love to see baby minnows with some color. And don't you worry about all the different sizes, theres not much you can do about geneteics and unless you separate them all there will always be one that gets most of the food..I found. You are doing great with them. Must be so delicate , more so than goldie fry even. :goodjob

OK, here are some pictures I've taken this afternoon - they are 6 weeks old now! You can clearly see the characteristic red splodges developing on the caudal fins. Three of the six look like this and the others still look like fry at the moment, hopefully they'll catch up soon :)

Picture004-12.jpg

Picture008-9.jpg

Picture009-10.jpg

Picture014-6.jpg

Picture015-9.jpg

Picture017-8.jpg

Here is a comparison picture from when I rescued them 6 weeks ago - what a difference!

Picture011-7.jpg

Those are some of the cutest fry I ever saw with their little red tails!!!! Oh they are soo sweet and what a difference. You are doing really good with them (hard work isn't it hehe)- and it's great you decided to keep them You can't give away all your own fry Bumble :tantrum I read your other thread and worked that much out ;)