White Cloud Mountain Minnow Fry!

Hi guys, well for the last few weeks we've been noticing what we thought was breeding behaviour in the WCMM tank and then now and again we've seen what we thought were eggs on the plant leaves.

The tank is pretty much fully stocked so I decided not to actively save them as I don't have the space for any more, so I thought the eggs would just get eaten up soon enough.

Anyways, I was doing the weekly water change on the tank today - I'd changed the first bucket and as I was siphoning up water into the second bucket I noticed a little black dot with a tail swimming around inside the siphon on it's way upwards!

Before I could do anything about it he was gone - down the tube and into the bucket! I checked the bucket carefully and to my surpirse I found two fry swimming around. I put them to one side and went to clean the filter - as I opened the filter to rinse the sponges out, another fry appeared - presumably he'd only recently been sucked up by the filter or maybe he'd been in there for a while? I checked the rest of tank carefully and spotted another three fry!!

As I was trying to scoop them out of the water I could see the minnows chasing after them too - to eat them, and there were a few near misses!

So, I managed to save 6 in total. I expect there were a lot more, probably the vast majority got eaten and I may have inadvertently poured some away when I did the water changes before I spotted the rest :(

So, for now they're in a 2.5 gallon tub with a small airstone - I'll try to find something a little bigger tomorrow and they've eaten some Hikari First Bites! I think they must be a few days old, I guess they're about 2 mm or so in size! I don't think I'll be able to keep them so I'll try to grow them out a bit then rehome them with a friend locally :)

In a 1 litre plastic jug just after I caught them

Picture010-7.jpg

Picture005-14.jpg

I'll try to get some better pictures as they grow! :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well OH MY GOODNESS how exciting :rockon !!! 6 little lucky ones and all the fun of fry raising :bingo: Your clever minnows :heart . They have such a gorgeous set up and you look after them so well I suppose it was just a question of time. Congratulations bumble and you are going to enjoy this new adventure I promise! Happy for you!! and looking forward to their story from now..

Thanks Trinket! :heart

It was a complete surprise - I assumed the eggs must have been eaten, although I've been reading tonight that apparently Minnows are less likely to eat their young, it didn't look like that earlier when they were chasing them around the tank though!

Still, it will be fun looking after them. I found some Liquifry food so I'll start them on that tomorrow. Also, I'll try to get them a bigger tub to keep the water quality good. They're free-swimming, so should I add a sponge filter now too do you think? (I've got the sponges ready seeded in my canister filter) :)

It is cool. Minnow fry :heart I've never seen what they look like...must be tiny.

Do you think they are about 3 days old bumble? They would have been eating the egg sac for the first few days right? and then because they ate the first bites(how cute) they were clearly ready to eat and hungry...day 2 or 3??? So I think certainly you can start setting up the sponge filter now they are free swimming and eating :) Remember slow motion movements in that water..backs are damged permanently by any swirl!

You were well prepared with the fry food at hand and that filter ready seeded weren't you (ha! Let's hope all your tanks don't start producing fry at the same time now!!-it can be the way things go! :goodluck )

Thanks guys :)

Yeah, they sure are teeny weeny - even armed with a magnifying glass it takes me ages to spot them in a 2.5 gallon tub let alone anything bigger! I suppose you get a good indication of size when you consider that in the picture they are only in a small 1 litre plastic jug - compare their size to the number markings on it and you'll get an idea.

Do you think they are about 3 days old bumble? They would have been eating the egg sac for the first few days right? and then because they ate the first bites(how cute) they were clearly ready to eat and hungry...day 2 or 3???

Yeah, I guess only a few days old - they are free swimming. I fed a teeny pinch of Hikari first bites (it's like a very fine power) and they immediately came to the surface for it and then as it sank followed it around the bottom of the tub so I'm guessing they've eaten some - they're too tiny to tell! I found some Liquifry so I'll feed that today as I gather it's more beneficial at this stage. I wanted to wait until the filter was set up because I heard it can cause a slight white cloudiness and I don't want to lose track of the fry!

You were well prepared with the fry food at hand and that filter ready seeded weren't you (ha! Let's hope all your tanks don't start producing fry at the same time now!!-it can be the way things go!

Yeah, I had most things ready in my "fry box" for the goldies and the filter sponges have been seeding in the canister for months. Typical though 'aint it - I wait months for the goldies to spawn then the minnows start :rolleyes: I'm actually hoping the goldies don't do anything now! Still, it'll be good fun and good learning for me!

Edited by mrbumblebee

OK, the choice was between a 2.5 gallon tub or a 20 gallon!! Ones too small and the other too big even half filled! I found an 8 gallon sized tub too, so thats a good compromise for now I think and it's the right size for the sponge filter to fit. I put a single sponge in for now, I can always add the other one later if needs be. They seem to be doing OK, I started them on Liquifry today, presumably they're eating it as it's hard to tell the way it disolves almost instantly in the water, I expect there are millions of micro particles floating about for them though, right? I'll see how they get on with that for a few days anyway. Thanks everyone! :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

Well, I'm relieved to say that all 6 are still alive! They seem to be doing OK. Goodness, those sponge filters are noisy aren't they?! Unfortunately, the fry tub is on the floor in the hallway next to my main goldfish tank as I'm sharing the double airpump to run the sponge filter - the noise seems to reverberate around the hallway and right through the house! Still, we don't mnd! I've ordered a new another airpump just for fry/sick/QT purposes so when that comes we'll move the fry tub back next to the WCMM tank so the parents can keep an eye on their offspring! I'll try to get some more pictures today :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

OK, got a new double airpump to run the sponge filter today so I've moved the fry tub back next to the WCMM tank in the other room - a lot quiter! They look visably larger in 3 days! I'm still feeding Liquifry, they're probably too small for baby brine shrimp yet, right? Tested the water today and that's good what with the cycled filter sponge I put in :)

Oh yeah, and I've noticed the Minnows have laid more eggs on the plants leaves now too!

Edited by mrbumblebee

Another update! :rolleyes: (You'll have to excuse me - I'm obsessed with them..) So, I've still got all 6 fry. They've visably grown - I think they're coming up to 7-8 days old now (5 days since I found them). Still feeding Liquifry several times a day. I read that they should accept newly hatched brine shrimp after the the first week, so I've set up a brine shrimp hatcher - should be ready by Sunday, thought I'd try that with them too :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

Oh they weren't big! But so are goldie fry too in the beginning. And I excuse you for beein obsessed, I am too with my goldie fry, especially my special ones!

Thanks Anette :)

The brine shrimp hatcher is still bubbling away nicely, they should be ready by sunday. I bought some coffee filter papers to drain them on to. If the fry don't like them/are too small for them, I'll feed the brine shrimp to the parents as a treat.

Still difficult to get close-up pictures as they're so small it just blurs out - although, I can see they've grown and filled out - the bodies and tails appear longer, I can see their eyes too with my magnifying glass!

Picture002-14.jpg

Picture005-15.jpg

Edited by mrbumblebee

They are tinier than goldie fry (well of course :wa:) )and those are really good clear pics of them. Know how they lurve to move!

They also look a litle different shaped. I am so looking forward to hearing all about these little 'uns and seeing their progress :D . Great that all 6 are still doing well and you've got the seeded sponge filter set up now less noisy.

Will you save any more eggs? And have they eaten any babybrine yet..? those bb's are so tiny too.

Thanks Imogen :)

I keep having to remind myself that they're actually minnow fry too - I keep thinking they're too small, but when you consider they're the fry of a fish that only grows to 1.5" I think they're doing fine. I wish I could get clearer pictures, but I can see their eyes and body shape forming - they look more like tadpoles in the pictures! Brine shrimp should be ready by tomorrow evening, so I'll check on them then. Water parameters are good - the cycled filter sponges helped what with the heavy feeding (Liquifry) as the fry themselves must be producing miniscue amounts of ammonia in a 8 gallon tub, still, I've done a few water changes and airline-tubing-vacs on the bottom to keep things fresh. I'll try to resist the urge to post any more pictures until theres something more interesting for you guys to see :rolleyes: I can't guarantee it though as I'm obsessed by them! :rolleyes:

When I do this weeks water change in the minnow tank I'll check carefully for any more fry :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

In my experience wcmm fry tend to be about half the size of goldfish fry when they are born. Mine were small enough to slip between the netting of my fry net for the first week of their lives. Good luck with yours, I think fry are always interesting to hear about/look at.

Thanks Kusackaid :)

I fed the brine shrimp last night, the fry seemed very excited when I put them in anyway. Got another batch of brine shrimp eggs bubbling away now. Will be doing a water change on the WCMM tank today so will keep a sharp lookout for any more fry as we saw more eggs last week! :rolleyes:

Good! All seems well. It almost seemed like they could smell those bbs when they went in with mine. They would go crazy for them :D

that's cool you are hatching your own..is that complicated? I never did that.

that's cool you are hatching your own..is that complicated? I never did that.

Well, it's the first time I've done it - I modified it a bit, but it seemd to work out alright. I could see the brine shrimp dots moving around with a magnifying glass ater 48 hours so I guessed they hatched.

I got one of those in-tank brine shrimp hatchers only I did it in a bucket instead. I filled a 10 litre bucket with water, added a heater to 24C, put in the hatcher (basically a small plasic cyclinder with suction cups - at one end you attach an airline and the other end is sticking just out of the water surface).

I filled the hatcher with some of the dechlorinated heated water from the bucket, added a salt rock - it says to aim for a salinity of 35g per litre, let that disolve and then put in 3-5 drops of decapsulated eggs.

The airstone is to keep the the eggs free-floating (decapsulated eggs lose their ability to float and will clump together at the bottom, however they are supposed to yield better results than shelled eggs).

Keep the water heated and provide at least 3-12 hours of light - daylight is fine, but I added a lamp for a while. After 24-48 hours they hatch out and are clearly visable as little redish dots. You drain it out (I didn't have a brine shrimp net so I used coffee filter papers) and feed them to the fish.

It's trial and error I think - I'm going to try it wil shorter and longer times, more and less salinty and more and less light. The kit I got was ?7 on Ebay and will last a very long time , I'm gonna use aqaurium salt when the salt rocks run out. So, no it's not complicated. I think I'm doing it right... A bit of fun really :)

It's this one

http://www.ntlabs.co.uk/product_details.php?product_id=72

Edited by mrbumblebee

The second batch of brine shrimp went OK too, the fry seemed to get excited when I put it in the water. I've got them on first bites now too, after feeding Liqiufry for a while it seems to get quite gunky in the water, I think it's good for the first few days though. Did a water change on the WCMM tank yesterday - I didn't find anymore fry, maybe that's just as well. I did find one of my Minnows dead though :(

Oh sorry about the minnow :( . It wasn't the fries mammy was it?

The brine shrimp hatchery you fixed up sounds neat.

I know that liquifry messes the look of the water- I only used it once because of that.

How are the little teenies doing today?

Well, they've certainly grown. Problem is I can only find 5 fry :( I can't find the sixth one, I've looked everywhere. It's frustrating because I've been sooo careful about counting them before and after water changes and at feeding times. I haven't seen the sixth one since yesterday. I think it's one of the three smaller ones that's missing, the other three are larger - but I don't think they are big enough to eat another fry. So, I don't know where he is :(

It's a miracle! Fry #6 Has returned! I have no idea where he went (if he indeed went anywhere at all!) - we scoured the tub throughly the last few days and there was no sign of him, not even around the sponge filter and then as if by magic he was back this afternoon! :rolleyes::D