Gender?

Guest Gunner

Its hard to tell whether a small goldie is male or female but as they reach sexual maturity the boys will get white specs on their fill covers and leading edge of their pectorals called breeding stars. The girls don't get these.

You can also tell my vent sexing (looking at where the poo comes out). Think about innie and outie belly buttons when you're looking. Females look they have an outie and males have an innie. This method is kind of hard and takes practice though.

you can tell by looking at the vent. or i guess i should say SOME can tell by looking at the vent. i can't tell very well, or at all, but thats supposed to be a good way to tell especially when theyre young. there is a comparison picture on another forum showing how the female one sticks out and the male one doesn't, and it was very good, but when i actually tried to tell on my fish, i had zero luck. you might have better eyes than me though.

• 4 weeks later...