Sign in to follow this  
disaster999

My 55gal Tank Is Leaking

about 6 months back, i bought a used 55gal tank and its been running strong. no leaks no nothing. up until this morning, i woke up to a leaking tank. around 5-10 gals of water is emptied on the carpet. i moved all my fish into my 30 gal tank...theres 10 goldfish in there right now i think they must be :krazy:

ive never patched up a tank before so what is the best way of doing it? im suspecting the bottom is leaking because i checked all the seams on the side and its not wet, but the bottom is gushing with water on one side so im thinking the bottom seams is bad. should i take off that plastic ring around the bottom of the tank? should i remove all the old silicone and put new one in there?

also, since i have an overflow sump wet/dry filter setup, and since my tank is down, i was thinking i could take this opportunity and drill my tank and make a build in overflow. question is, how hard is it to drill glass? is it worth it to do it?

:help:

Im not sure about that, just wanted to say, that before u drill it make sure that its safe, cause some tanks cant be drilled, my 46 gallon for example has a sticker on the bottom that says not to drill it, cause the glass will crack

You really cannot drill glass that is not "tempered". Usually, a tank with tempered glass is a far more expensive one than a "normal" glass tank.....

I would suggest putting the tank on a bed of dry newspaper. Fill it with only about 1/2 inch of water - that way you should be able to find the leak really closely - not where the water has run along the frame or anything.

Take a knife and carefully cut and remove all the sealant all along the seam that is leaking. You can clean up the left over sealant with solvant, if you are careful and wish to.

Then let the tank dry completely. I usually give it a good day at least - more in humid weather. When it is throughly dry, add a thick bead of sealant along the seam, pushing the bead ahead of the tube - which will force it into the seam and smooth out the top.

Let the sealant cure for at least 2 days - or until you smell absolutely NO vinegar smell. Sometimes that can take days if it is humid.

Good luck. It is not hard work - but can be a bit fussy.

thanks daryl, i actually found someone local that repair and fixes tanks so im gonna have him do it.

if that doesnt work out, then i guess a new tank is in the works

gonna go fill it up and check for leaks after work today. the guy said he used silicone use on perfecto tanks. takes 24 hours to dry. hopefully it would hold.

anyone know of a good way of drying carpet? its soaking wet