First Time Using An Aquaclear

br553

As long as I have had fish, I have been a die-hard fan of the Marineland and Aquatech HOB filters. Yesterday, I decided to try a different filter on my 10g tropical tank since the Penguin filter just wasn't working as well as I would like. So I thought I would try an Aquaclear filter that I have always heard people here talk about. I am amazed at how clear and clean it seems to keep the water compared to my old filter. And that is with just 2 of the foam blocks. Is it just me, or are the Aquaclear's as superior (in cleaning) to the Marineland's as they seem to be? I am certainly thinking about replacing the Emperor and Penguin filters on my other tanks, but am a bit reluctant to replace the Emperors because of how much I spent on them ($70 a piece). Are there any special notes or quirks that I should know about on an Aquaclear filter?

Although I am a huge fan of the Penguins and Emperors,I have owned many,many Aquaclears through the years,and in truth I feel as if they have always out performed the rest with the amount of actual filtration.They have always been a good "bang for your buck",until recently anyway as their prices have skyrocketed. :rolleyes:

As long as you keep the impellers clean,and you don't let the sponges get too mucked up,they seem to last for ever. :exactly JMO anyway. :)

Although I am a huge fan of the Penguins and Emperors,I have owned many,many Aquaclears through the years,and in truth I feel as if they have always out performed the rest with the amount of actual filtration.They have always been a good "bang for your buck",until recently anyway as their prices have skyrocketed. :rolleyes:

As long as you keep the impellers clean,and you don't let the sponges get too mucked up,they seem to last for ever. :exactly JMO anyway. :)

it really depends on where you buy them from. vvvv is having a discount on them. mmm just have insane price on them. you could always try ebay, prices is always lower than buying it in stores

They do seem to out proform any other filtration i have ever owned. I really wan an ac 70 for my 30 now because my wisper 60 is just so loud. And it has been getting louder. Ive cleaned it 3 dozen times too and it doesnt help with the noise.

Well, I did break down and buy an Aquaclear 70 for Boggles and Pip's 20g tank. The output is 300gph, about 30gph less than the Penguin that is on it now. The Penguin has been running almost continuously for 4 years and it's showing its age. Plus I saved $5 on the AC because I printed out the price on Pmart's website and took it into the store. I think it will be so much easier to reuse by squeezing out the sponges in tank water, rather than having to take filter pads outside to hose out with the sprayer.

I actually give the sponges a blast with the hose. It gets them nice and white again. Yeah, i may be killing lots of good bacteria, but thats why i have 2 packs of the bio rings, instead of 1. :D

Archived