Sign in to follow this  
Guest goldyworld

Extremely Bloated...

Guest goldyworld

Hi Everyone,

I'm in desperate need of help here!

My beautiful comet goldfish Cindy, who I have had for 7 years, started bloating over the past 2 months and now it's getting out of control!

Here are the only living conditions I can give you at this point:

- Tank size: 15Gal

- Water Changes: 35% every 2 weeks

- Fish Friends: She is the only fish in the tank

- Filter: Good, strong 150L internal filter

- Activities: 2 health plants

- Meds: I added 3 tablespoons of Epsom salt 2 days ago. (with a 50% water change)

- Foods: Frozen blood worms, peas and sometimes floating pellets (JBL Novo Pearl)

- Unusual findings: Cindy's fins and skin is as health as I've ever seen it...no signs of stress. NO PINECONING! :)

- Unusual behaviours: Since adding the epsom salt I've noticed that she's spending a little more time sucking air at the top.

Ok, now...I've never seen anything like this before. When I look from beneath her, up at the light, I can see through her skin because she is so bloated! I can see how she is so full of liquids that I fear she's just going to pop.

That brings me o my only thought of a solution...I have read as much as I can on what this disease might be and no one seems to have a good answer other than it's bloating because of an internal infect and she'll just dead soon. :(

All me crazy but I fear than if I don't do something soon...she's going to die. Do you think she would die if I made a small pin size hold in her side to release the pressure? I've never heard of anyone doing this before and I wonder if it's because it might instantly kill her? As long as it doesn't damage any internal organs...I don't see how it could hurt...the wound would heal once all the liduid is drained out, no? Scary to think about but I don't know what else to do!?

I'm attaching a video of her swimming happily around the talk...unfortunately bloated like a balloon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6fqpCg-qG8

Any help you can give me would be muchly appreciated!

Thanks,

Geordie

Hi, I have a goldfish that have a huge swimbladder, she's born that way. Sometimes she is extremely swelled and bottom sits. Once I was prepared with a needle but I couldn't puncture her... right now she is out in pond and do pretty well.

if it's not swimbladder it could be digestion problems or egg impaction, if it is a female.

But your fish is not bottom sitting?

Well that's all I know.

How long has she been like this? She may be full of eggs :) orrr, egg impaction :( .........If she just has eggs, she will lay soon, although if i is impaction, you may have to do the hand spawning- squeeze GENTLY where the bluge is, and the eggs shoul come out, impacted or not- if you have never done this before like me, go talk to the mods and the experienced breeders before you do ANYTHING. If that doesn't work, some people use salt dips to release eggs or impacted eggs........ummm, also try medicated food like medigold, macryn, or metromeds. Ask fish about medigold and mtromeds, he's been fighting a mysterious 1-sided bulge on his fantail for over 3 months now. Good luck, hope she improves!!!

Guest goldyworld

Hi and thanks for your replies.

I don't think she has egg impaction and it just appears to be clear liquid inside of her. Maybe it's eggs though and they just look clear. I've been tempted to try the gentle squeeze technique but again...like the needle, I'm afraid I'll do serious damage. She's already experiencing was too much pressure I'm sure.

She is definitely not bottom sitting...she actually swims around normally like you see in the video.

I really hope it's as simple as squeezing out the eggs because I'd hate if this was some weird form of Dropsy.

Mod's??? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again,

Geordie

I personally wouldn't attempt puncturing the fish myself,as there's just too many risks to doing something like that.You could very well damage a major organ,or worse. Was Cindy always sort of on the chubby side to begin with?

Any red sores on her under belly?Pine-coning is often a sign we see at the beginning of Dropsy,but that is not always 100%.Some fish can have dropsy and not pine cone.I'm not saying that she has it either way,just wanted you to be aware of that. :) Are you seeing any signs of poo from her,and if so,tell me is it normal- short, brown ,chunky,long brown, or white stringy,etc.

Has Cindy's belly decreased at all since adding the epsom?

Just an FYI,I'd start changing out her water on a weekly basis.Because of her tank size ,and the size that she is,her water can foul pretty fast.Do you keep close tabs on water params?

Guest goldyworld

Hey Devs. Thanks for your help!

You may remember me from years ago as Smalls or Gramps.

I'm currently living in Budapest, Hungary and the pet stores are pretty pathetic. I haven't been able to get the stuff I need for checking everything.

I've been doing the whole 35% water change thing for years now and it seems to have been working.

If ever I see small signs of something I always do a 50% water change and things clear up.

My biggest fear in doing more water changes is losing my great cycle. I don't over feed which keeps the waste down.

I'll try it in this case though for sure.

I fed her peas today and her poos were about 3/4 inch long and normal thickness. Currently, she's got a long thin white one coming out.

No red sores on here belly.

That's what I thought about puncturing her. It seems easy enough as I's sure fish can be given needles by doctors which would pretty much be the same idea, no?

The Epsom salt doesn't seem to be having any effect at all...she's still bloating more at a slow pace. She's still spending quick a bit of time at the surface.

She definitely has always been a little thicker than other fish I've had. I've always wondered if there is a touch of fancy goldfish in here, with her extremely long tail and all.

thanks,

g

Hmmm, the white stringy stuff can be an indicator of eggs, and if she is pooping normally, then I wuld just watch her closley and see what she does......Also, I would NOT puncture, because if it is eggs or egg impaction, that will only make things worse and you may loose your fish. Good luck!!! :heart

Guest goldyworld

I sure hope you are right Saiyori!

If you look close at the video you can see her white stringy poo actually.

Does anybody think it'd a bad idea to try and gently squeeze her to see if eggs come out?

thanks,

g

I would try gentle! to rub her belly towards her anal area, but often, if it really is an egg problem, eggs come out by just holding her a bit in your hand. She will wiggle of course, and we want her too, because it somewhat "massages" her belly that way, and that might just do the trick.

However, I wouldn't recommend puncturing anything without knowing exactly what you are doing. You don't know what the bulge consists of, so you might release toxic material into the fish's body, which is deadly fast. Kind of like a raptured appendix, defintely not a good idea. You also don't know what is around the bulge, and you might damage an organ. The reason vets can do it because they are familiar with the anatomy of the fish, and therefore know where everything is. With a goldfish's general very tight anatomy in its belly you just never know where you are at. Everything is so cramped inside the goldfish, its not like a streamlined comet or koi where everything is much less compressed.

Oh, and btw, I don't see that anybody mentioned that, but 3 tablespoons of epsom salt is WAY too much. This is not the same than regular aquarium salt, and the dosage for epsom salt is 1/8 teaspoon per 5 gl.

Any luck?

Guest goldyworld

Hi guys,

Just to give you a quick update on how Cindy is doing...I did a 75% water change last night after reading that I put WAY too much Epsom salt and she still looks like a balloon. I read somewhere that with the symptoms that she is showing, it sounds like her kidney or liver isn't working properly and there is absolutely nothing I can do to save her. :( Basically all I can do is clean her water extra clean and feed her a few peas here and there.

There is so sad and I wish there was something I could do...she has been such a survivor through the years and was once (4 years ago) so sick that she was flowing on her side with body infections and total fin rot and miraculously fought it all off and became completely strong and health.

Really, other than her bubble stomach, she looks so health and it breaks my heart to think she could just die any day now...CRAZY! :(

If anyone has ANY clue what I can do for kidney or liver problems, please write ASAP!

Geordie

Guest goldyworld

Well friends, here's your update on Cindy's condition.

We has slowly continued to swell and just today she has started swimming upside down. At this rate she will be dead in the next day or to.

This has been so hard to watch my favourite fish of all time just fade away. She has been so social and always eats out of my hand and lovingly swims through my fingers when I'm eating her or moving things around in the tank.

All I've been able to do is try to make it comfortable for her by keeping her water extremely clean and feeding her lightly.

I'm strongly leaning towards a "surgery" involving releasing the fluids because she's going to die anyways and I'd rather her die with me trying my best to save her than not doing anything at all...

I'll keep you updated...

All the best,

Geordie

Geordie, so sorry that Cindy seems to get worse despite all the things you are trying to make it better. Kidney problems are so very hard to treat, and often will come back, even if the initial treatment was successful. I still don't think that there is a longterm treatment for dropsy - one that will make dropsy go away and never return. Just not happening all that often, mostly the fish will always be sensitive and will become ill again after a while.

If you can find maybe a university in your area that specializes in animal veterinary, give it a shot, if you want to find out for sure. You also might want to contact Doc Eric Johnson, he has done surgeries very successful on koi and goldfish. I don't have his telephone number handy right now, but his website is Koivet.com. His contact info should be somwhere on there.

Is Cindy still with you, Geordie, and how is she doing? :)

Guest goldyworld

Hi again,

Well, i think this video I'm posting speaks for itself in regards to Cindy's current condition. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEa6psXsSLI

Thanks Ranchugirl for the words of wisdom...I'm living in Budapest right now so I don't know if I'll beable to find a college/university for vets but I'll do my best.

Sorry...I'm sorta short on words over all this. I always thought Cindy was going to be one of those fish that live 20-30 years. *hmmm* :(

all the best to you and your pets...

g

Dang, the poor thing is struggling hard! :( Sorry that I completely missed the part about you being in Budapest right now - that is tricky when it comes to recommending any medication. Did you see any Interpet medication at the stores you were in? Anything that at least somewhat mentions treating bacterial problems? Annette, who lives in Australia and also has lots of troubles finding appropriate medication, had good success in treating dropsy with something she found over there. I dont' know if that is something you might be able to get your hands on, but I'll mention it to you anyway ------> http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=33722. Its Triple-Sulfa, but again, it might not be something you can get over there.

One other thing that comes into my mind - how close are you to the Austrian border? I used to live there for two years (my in-laws are from there), and I remember them having good medicines. Of course that only helps if you aren't too far away from it. We used to live in south Austria (Carinthia), and it only took us a hop over the mountains to Italy and the former Yugoslavia for a few days of vaction and different foods. Again, might not be something if you are too far away, of course. :)

Is Cindy still hanging in there, Goldyworld? :unsure: