Will Salt Hurt Snails?

Saiyori

Well, we all know that if you put salt on snails and slugs, it will dissolve them.....but what about the medicinal dose of salt(.3%) in water? Will they be okay, or will it hurt them?

I'm not sure if that dose is safe for snails or not. I have always been advised to remove the snails if the tank needs to be treated with salts or other medicines.

I've known people to use Melafix to help heal snail wounds, but in very small and controlled doses.

I would remove the snail from the tank if you need to treat the water with salt just in case. Hopefully someone will post soon to confirm if that dose is safe or not in case you are not able to remove the snail.

Salt is definitely not recommended for snails, even in smaller doses. They are very sensitive to it.

What are you salting the tank for? Is there another tank you can move the snail to?

I was dosing for ich, and was wondering if I could put the snails back.....They have been out the whole time :D Thanks, will a 100% change take care of the salt issue?

What is your salt concentration now? You should use the same principle taking the salt out as you did putting it in....gradually. Doing a 100% water change could shock your fish and make them sick again. Doing a series of 33% water changes every 12 hours or so is the safest way to bring it down if you want to get the snails back in asap. If you're at .3% right now 3-4 33% water changes should make it safe for the snails to go back in without hurting your fish.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I know Snails do not like salt but mine do fine with a little bit of it in the water as well as melafix in with the bettas they are in with. It does not seem to bother them.