Furball Needs Help!

MissyDraven

post-7419-1187400510.jpgTest results:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 15

pH 7.0 (added buffer powder to up this a smidge)

Tank Size 50 gallons

Filters : Fluval 105 and Emperor 280

Waterchanges: 25% twice weekly

Occupants: 5 goldfish, one small 2", four large 6+", two dojo loaches and a few snails

Water Additives: Amquel Plus with every waterchange, as well as buffer powder as needed.

No meds added, no new fish added

I feed Oranda Gold every day for breakfast, then for an evening meal I feed bloodworms, frozen community food, my own recipe, algae wafers, shrimp pellets and peas each once a week. I also fast my fish every Tuesday

Unusual Findings: Furball's got a swelling of some kind, 4-5 scales are sticking out, one is red, it looks like a whitehead. Otherwise is behaving normally, eating well and such.

Here's a pic. Please help Furball. I really love this fish.

post-7419-1187400510.jpg

Update

The whitehead opened and released a small amout of exudate. I put light pressure to draw more of it out and cleaned the area with 3% peroxide. I have medicated the main tank with a dose of melafix. Pending recommendations from more expert fish keepers, my plan is to see if this does the trick. I am prepared to use a hospital tank and medications/medicated food if needed.

Please, any experts out there, what do you think?

Sounds like a plan, MissyDraven... :)

Since the blister opened in the tank, it has released quite some load of stuff that was in there. Lets watch the other fish, as well as Furball, of course, so that nobody else gets another "dose" of it. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention that it opened when I was trying to get a better look at it. I had Furball in a small bowl with a powerful light shining at him. I dumped the water the wound emptied into down the drain before cleaning the area with a bit of peroxide and putting Furball back in the tank.

I've salted to .025%. I want to give Furball somewhat of an edge, without hurting the other, more delicate inhabitants of the tank.

I'm also using a huge net to separate him from the others at feeding time. I'm hand feeding Jungle medicated food, while the other fish are getting their usual diet.

Thanks Ranchugirl!

:) Glad to hear that Furball seems to be showing signs of improvement,though continue to watch very closely.Most times any red sores with those white pimples are often bacterial,and although Melafix may be showing it improving,it may not be enough to rid the fish completely.If you have any Medi-Gold,I'd start the fish on that for a two week period. Good luck. :)

Nothing more to add to Devs' advice - and good that the puss stuff didn't end up in the main tank! :thumb: