Dropsy

hlim

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello!

Hmm.. by floating I meant idly drifting around. Either today or tomorrow, I'm gonna take apart and clean the whole tank. It's almost time for school and I want to do one last major cleaning before I must go back!

SB has been more active. I can't help but to feel that he is really lonely all by himself in the big tank. I noticed a red sore a bit below his anus a few days ago. I don't know how long it has been there because it's not very noticeable.

On another note, my Oto has been restless lately. He's been acting like my old CAE, trying to attach onto SB's side. I actually saw the Oto scratching. Maybe he caught gill flukes too!! :o I'm gonna leave these two fishies into the quarantine and transfer Sploodles, who seems all better (thank you everyone for your help!!), into the main tank after I finish cleaning it.

• 2 weeks later...

Strange about the Oto trying to attach to the goldfish - they usually don't do that at all. Since Sploodles is doing so well, how about the others - any improvement on them? I hope you still will be able to check in here every now and then with school going on. :)

Hello!

I'm sorry for the long time intervals between replies. I just got back home last night to check on the fish. Sploodles is doing really well. He's back in the main tank and seems to be growing! My mom has been assigned to feed my fishies. Is it normal that they are getting plump and larger at the same time, or is it unhealthy (that they are plump now)?

SB still has minor fin rot that has not progressed since the time I left for school. He's staying active in the QT and eating well.

My oto died last week actually, on the day that I left. In the morning I found him floating, but still alive, on the surface, nose up. His belly was very swollen too. It was strange because he seemed just fine the day before. I put him in a 5 gal bucket dosed with Epsom salt. He died within a few hours. :( Do you know what may have been wrong with him? He was in the QT with SB. I've been treating that tank with Prazi-Pro because both of them were scratching their gills. I wiped the glass very often for any possible eggs and put a slice of zucchini in the tank for the oto to eat, since there was guaranteed to be no algae.

RIP Mr. oto! I didn't even get the chance to name it yet.

If in the future I buy another oto, should I buy them in pairs for companionship and/or first put them in QT?

Thanks so much for the help!!!

Hlim

Good news about your fish, Hlim! :thumbs: However not so good about the little oto - I am sorry he didn't make it.

With the little things, its hard to tell what is going on with them sometimes. I have seen some otos with swollen bellies, and most of them had been in tanks with other fish that had been sick with something bacterial. Might be that the little fellow also had some bacterial issues going on. I have seen those guys being pretty hardy, even towards salt, but maybe he didn't do too well with the epsom salt. :unsure:

I have not seen those little otos being effected one way or the other by a companion - I had my oto for at least 3 years, and he never paid any attention to anybody except the food on the back walls. So, I think its a matter of personal preferance if you want to get two next time. :)

As to feeding your other fish when you are not home, I would prepackage their food into zip loc bags and have them handy somewhere near the tank. I get the sneaking suspicion that your mom might overfeed them. Not that I blame her - they can get that terrible puppy look, and you'd think they were starving the way they look at you. I guess your mom just caves in every now and then. :D With the prepackaged food, all she is supposed to feed is whatever is in one bag for that day, not more. And hide the rest of the food container somewhere.

Since the immediate emergency pretty much is over, I'll put your thread out of the emergency room, but PLEASE, if anything should pop up again (what we don't hope), feel free to come back to this thread at any time. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! I just got back home to check on my fish, SB. His fin rot has not gotten any better. How should I go about treating it? Should I buy another bottle of Melafix, or try a different product? I am only staying until Sunday noon, so I can't use any treatments that are too complicated. Okay thank you!!!~