Dropsy

hlim

Hello!

I know there are plenty of topics on dropsy and treating it, but I wanted to start my own thread to address some of the more relative/personal questions of mine.

One of my fish, Sploodles, has just begun to show signs of dropsy. In the main tank, there is a salinity of .1% (aquarium salt) which I think has led him to retain water to develop this dropsy. I did a complete water change in the main tank to make sure no one else develops the same problem, and have put Sploodles in a 10 gallon QT. I put in the heater from my main tank and have gradually turned the temperature up to 82 degrees F have also added 1/8 tsp of Epsom salt to help extract the fluids.

How long do I keep him in that tank w/ the salt? I read that Metro-meds is good for treating the first signs of dropsy, but I only have Medi-gold. Will Medi-gold help with dropsy at all? What addition steps do I need to take?

The problem with my QT is that it is bare, with only an airstone and a heater. Shall I get a filter as well since it will be very dangerous with high nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia levels? I am considering buying the All-Glass size 10 starter tank because it will come with everything I need; hood, heater, & filter. What do you guys think?

I hear that dropsy is very hard to cure. I really love this fish and will try to help him as much as possible. He resembles the fish in Shamu23's avatar, very adorable, haha. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, everyone!

hLim

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

medi-gold is a medicated food, and as far as I know it should do some good. Make sure the medicated food is the only thing Sploodles eats (Adorable name, btw.) A filter is an excellent idea, I would strongly recommend one but could you use media from your established tank? My only concern with the all-new setup would be that the filter isn't seeded with beneficial bacteria and also that activated carbon can filter out meds you put in the water.

All fish owners should have a hospital tank of some kind ever at the ready. Getting a 10 gal basic setup would likely be a good investment, if you have the money. For future, put the filter that comes in the 10 gal kit on your main tank so it's always full of good bugs when you need it.

As for treating dropsy specificly, I've had no luck. I lost more than one fish that way.

I wish you all the best, I'm only sorry I can't tell you more.

The raised temp. is good.

The epsom salt is good. it should be a total of 1/8 teaspoons per 5 gallons.

I don't know much about medi-gold, but I do know that Maracyn II is good against dropsy. You might consider using that.

That's all I can say. I hope that's useful.

Oh no! Do you have any decorations that are hollow, or have holes for the fish to swim through? (statues etc. can be hollow) Hollow decorations are a breeding ground for bacteria and especially dropsy. Shamu23 told me that, talk to him for more advice.

Hello! Thank you for everyone's quick replies!

MissDraven: Putting the kit filter into the main tank when the QT isn't being used is genius!! Thank you for that tip! Haha, and thanks for the compliment. My girlfriend named all of my fishies, haha.

MyGoldfishIsLumpy: I will try Maracyn II for dropsy tomorrow then, and thanks for reminding about 1/8 per 5 gallons. Thank you!

Saiyori: No hollow ornaments, only silk plants. Thanks though!

Sploodles is still very active in the tank, swimming back and forth, but his condition has only worsened; the dropsy is much more noticeable now than before. Before I put him in a QT, I was watching him with a flashlight for about an hour, wondering if he really had dropsy. Now, it is pretty obvious... :(

Another thing I have noticed about Sploodles is that his cheeks have gotten puffier. What is that a sign of?

Thanks everyone..

hLIM

I heard that Maracyn II is a relatively weak antibiotic compared to what vets use, but is still of value if used early enough.

I would suggest Maracyn Plus as it is a broad spectrum antibiotic, kind of a combination of Marcyn and Maracyn II. When treating bacterial infections, I've often used both, but now that they've come out with Plus there's no need.

Dropsy is almost always fatal, so if there is a vet you could take him to, now would definitely be the time. Where do you live? maybe someone here could reccomend one nearby.

*virtual hugs*

Hi hlim! I'm sorry Sploodles has dropsy. I have metromeds. PM me with your addy and I can send you some. You need to act fast to save from dropsy. I have heard metromeds are very good. Let me know if you need some... All the best to you and your fish.

Good morning everyone.

Sploodles did not swell very much last night, so I'm very happy. I'm from San Francisco, but I think I will hold off on taking him to a vet just yet (it will be way out of my budget, sadly :( ).

Today, I have to go to my LFS to buy another heater (currently using the main tank's), filter, and some meds.

fish, I don't think I can use the pm feature just yet. I ordered some Metro-meds, but I think it will take until Thursday to reach me. If you can reach me on AIM, h0tcurry, or e-mail, hlim@ucdavis.edu, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much everyone..

hlim

Well, San Francisco will have a wider range of avaliable things to help sploodles, but I hope he makes it!!!!!!!!!! :heart

I'm sorry hlim I was doing 5 things at once and thought you are talking about the metromeds. They'll be removed if you leave the carbon in while dosing the tank. I am really not sure about the salt - I have never used carbon.

hlim- you are right metromeds is a stonger medigold. Are you still running maracyn. I remember your other thread and have been confused with the 2. . Anyway the medigold should be good for now till the metromeds come. If you are running the maracyn you'll need to take out that carbon as you have done and can use it later if you want to clear the meds. Dont forget to rais ethe temp slowly for dropsy, warmer water helps. Good luck to you and lots of strength to Sploodles :) .

Good morning again!

Sploodle's swelling has gone down considerably :) :) :) !!

How long do I continue the salt treatment? I am changing the water once everyday, should I redose the 1/4 salt everyday as well? When am I able to reintroduce him into the main tank, after 2 weeks of Metro-meds? Gah, I'm so happy for him (knocks on wood, hes not out of the woods yet), thank you for everyone's help! :bow emoticon:

I am not using any meds but Medi-gold & Epsom salt. I took out the carbon anyways.

hlim

Edited by hlim

whenever you've salted your tank, be sure to replace whatever you take out, so if you're removing water make sure the water you add is salted accordingly. I'd keep up with the salt for a while longer. Make sure Sploodles is all better, and done his meds at least.

I'm so happy to hear Sploodles is doing better. Made my day, really.

MD

hlim- you are right metromeds is a stonger medigold.

Is that what it is? I thought it was a different medicated food. I have noticed that goldfish love the medigold but I can tell that they don't think metromed doesn't taste all that great.

When my Oranda Sash developed dropsy, Rick at the Goldfishconnection told me to use metromed. I paid to have the metromed shipped overnight. Along with the advice of the mods on Kokos, I raised the temp to 80 degrees, used epsom salt and fed them Metromed. Sash's scales started to return to normal only after a couple of days. Metromed definitely saved his life.

Is that what it is? I thought it was a different medicated food.

Well it is different and perhaps more powerful in that it contains metronidazole and oxytetracycline. That's a broader spectrum antibiotic combo in that it also works on some protozoan parasites. I think the ingredients in the medigold (ormetoprim,sulfadimethoxine,kanamycin and oxylinic) are effective in combination against most gram neg and pos bacteria but don't have that added 'parasite' punch.

I've never used Metromed (only medigold) but as you have found and many people say it seems to be powerful stuff and works very fast. It's so good to hear that fish like Sash and Spoodles can recover so fast from dropsy -which is so scary- using it.

Aww thank you MissyDraven, you're very sweet. :D I read your thread a few days ago and I'm really glad that Furball is improving too!

Jack of Hearts, thank you for sharing that story with us. I'm glad that Sash has overcome dropsy and it gives me a lot of hope for Sploodles as well. :D

I've been reading a few other threads here about dropsy, and I'm wondering if dropsy is likely to return in the future, or can it be completely cured? I am assuming that Sploodles has impaired kidney function because of his negative reaction (dropsy) to aquarium salt (<---- taken from mrbumblebee's response in Trinket's salt thread). Will Metro-meds be able to help him with this? I am wondering because in the fall, when I have to return to school, I will only be able to see my fish about once every 2 weeks to a month. I am afraid of his condition returning when I am gone.

I don't think it automatically follows that a reaction to aqaurium salt necessarily triggered your fishes dropsy, it may have done or there may have been underlying stresses too (weren't you treating for ich at some stage too - secondary bacterial infections can follow and can overwhelm a fish, hence dropsy being one of the outcomes possible)

My comments were with regards to the negative effects aquarium salt may have on some fish, although as I said - these are indeed rare - kidney impairment being one of possibilities. Of course, my understanding is that this has been linked to dropsy as a syndrome but it doesn't automatically follow that it was the initial cause in itself.

Just wanted to clarify that as I don't think people should feel unduly worried about using aqaurium salt for one of it's many worthwhile uses - it's one of safest, reliable and treatments available

I hope your fish recovers well - you have had lot's of great advice and you seem on the right track. As to Dropsy returning again, my understanding is that it is a possibility but I think you should concentrate on getting him over this as best you can right now, we never know for sure what the future will bring. Best wishes to Sploodles! :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

Ah, I understand now. Thank you for your help!!

It seems like one of my other fish is having a negative reaction to the salty water as well. In an area where he has lost his scales, his flesh is swelling and protruding out (picture the cotton coming out of a tear in a teddy bear). His scales are sticking out in this area as well, but I don't think it is dropsy. I added some Melafix this morning. I will try to take a picture tomorrow morning. What could this be?

would be nice to see a pic. I wonder if its not fungus. Attaches to and attacks weak fish. You know you can keep the tank in pitch dark for a day and fungus dies. It is like a plant- needs light. Its a cheap and effective cure for fungus! But if it is columnaris appearing....that wouldn't work.

The salt reduces the osmotic differential between the fishes bodily fluids and the aquarium water so I doubt it would be responsible for this swelling.

How are your water params today?

Hmm... can it be fungus even if there is sometimes visible blood spots? Here is Pudgey:

His injured side (click to enlarge):

img0298kb1.th.jpg

His other side:

img0292ba6.th.jpg

How his scales are popping out at the infected area:

img0297en7.th.jpg

My water parameters are:

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 5 ppm

Ammonia: 0 ppm

pH: 7.6

Thank you..

Yes it can be. I looked at your pics and this is a possibility. Here is a picture of a commom water mould/fungus that is in all aquariums but has attacked a stressed or weak fish.

This is the saprolegnia water fungus

saprolegniafungus.jpg

Can you see in this pic -red spots where bacteria has entered the weakened area?

Does this look like what is on your fish?

It has also raised the scales in the infected area. Is that normal as well? It would seem like something is coming out from the inside to raise the scales like that.

But if it is really saprolegnia water fungus, how should I treat that?

I only have money for 1 QT which I am already using for Sploodles. How shall I treat Pudgey?

Thank you for your help again, Trinket!! :)