How I Solved My Fry Filtration Problem

Guest Yeah its me

Guest Shiollie

I have 30+ new fry that just hatched 2 days ago. Having that many in a 10 gal. I knew more filtration was critical so after releasing the fry from the breeders net, I put the extra filter in the net with a piece of sponge at the bottom of the net to catch the falling water.. viola! No bouncing fry from the water flo and I have extra filtration!

Very inventive!! :thumbs: One more good idea on how to add filtration to a fry tank - it is tricky, since there aren't any filters out there specifically for fry( except the sponge filter).

Guest Shiollie
Very inventive!! :thumbs: One more good idea on how to add filtration to a fry tank - it is tricky, since there aren't any filters out there specifically for fry( except the sponge filter).

Thank you! The fry are important to me. I knew I had to have more filtration... they are starting to poo.. and it is very hard to see them right now because they are so tiny, they seem to like the bottom because that is where the algae and the shrimp are, you cant see them untill they move, counting them is an exercise in concentration!

• Supporter

Is that a Whisper in-tank? I was afraid they would get sucked into the intake at the bottom, do you have something over it? Just curious because I lived with a sponge filter for 4 weeks, then added a teeny Nano filter that did very little but cycle the tank. So I have been battling the same thing! Thanks.

Guest Beverly

Jen, yes it is, but I also have a breeding net (very cheap.) and I put the filter in there and at first the water return was too much for the babies, so I cut a small piece of filter media (2x2) and put it under the filter return.. no more problems. Look at the pics I posted.