Found Ghostie Wrapped Around The Intake Tube This Morning

GoinNuts

She was lodged in there pretty good and probably had been that way most of the night. :( I've got the filter turned off and will leave it off for an hour or so. Istill have one filter - a much less powerful one - running, but I thought it best to give her relief from the stronger current for a bit. I also have salted to .1%.

She's pretty badly shredded and bloody. She's trying to swim, but ends up at the top, floating upside down or on her side every couple of minutes. :cry1

Is there anything else I should be doing? Poor girl. She just can't seem to ever catch a break. :(

Lisa

Catch a break? Does she have other troubles lately? Fill us in, since that might give a better picture of what might be wrong with her.

Being caught in the filter intake is a sign of the fish being very weak - any healthy fish can swim away from about any powerful filter without getting caught. Even my slow bubble eyes swim away just fine from any intake tube. My guess is that you'll find her caught on the other filter as well sooner or later.

Until we know what other troubles she had, I rather hold of on recommending anything. Weak fish can't handle most other meds, but I would put in a low percentage of salt, just to assist her bruised body at this point, and give her somewhat of a soother. 1 teaspoon per gallon is low enough without doing any harm to a weak fish.

I am sorry that she seems to continue with troubles. :(

Catch a break? Does she have other troubles lately?

Ghostie is my 6yo China Doll and she's never been a 'strong' fish. She's had varying degrees of SBD since day one and came down with a horrid case of Septicemia earlier this year. It took months of intense treatment to pull her through that, but I don't think she every 'fully' recovered in that it took it's toll on her.

Since then, she's gone more than 'normal' floaty and upside down on me several times. She's had times where she ends up on her side at the bottom, as well. She always fights, though, and comes around. Even when I think she won't last another minute and I have the clove oil ready, she pulls through time and time again. She has such a strong will to live, I can't bring myself to use that clove oil. :(

She's been solo in a 20g since the bout with Septicemia and my params are:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 10

AC50 filter

She's on a diet of gel food, brocolli, peas, Omega One sinking pellets and Medi-Gold (when needed).

Lisa

Oh Lisa,so sorry to hear that Ghostie is dealing with probs again.

When we dealt with her last illness,we did talk about her always being a more vulnerable fish to SB and other issues.

I think for now,I'd do the low salt like Andrea mentioned,and if you have any of those slotted floating baskets (from the dollar store) that would help keep her away from the currents a bit.

Just out of curiosity,how often,how much brocolli and Omega one do you feed?

I had recently stopped some of those foods because I swear they made my floaty fish even floatier.Could be coincidental with Ghostie,I don't know.

How's she faring today?

Hi Sharon. Sadly, I had to make the decision to let Ghostie go last night. :cry1:cry1 :cry1 She was just having to struggle too hard and was going into a tight curl, spending 90% of the time on her side at the top. I could've kept her going, and I wanted to, but it was heartbreakingly obvious that she was in a lot of pain and I just couldn't let her continue to suffer.

I used a clove oil bath and she went very peacefully and very quickly. I'm plagued with doubts this morning as to whether I did the right thing or not, but I like to think she's all happy and healthy again and swimming along with her best buddy, Goldie, somewhere in fishy heaven.

Thanks for all the help you've given over the past months with her. You, and others here, helped me have her in my life for much longer than I would have and for that, I will be forever grateful. :heart

Lisa

Lisa, I am sorry that you had to make that decision.. :( Definetely looks like you made the right one, though, but still, the loss isn't any easier. We always want to make it better, and it is so frustrating when we can't....

I am sorry that this was necessary, it takes a lot of courage to do something like that, something I don't tink I would hav in the same position. Just think, when you go to heaven, you are gonna be MOBBED by fish!! :hug

:cry1 Hey Lis,I'm so very sorry to hear of Ghostie's passing. Please don't feel bad though hun,as it was a judgement call ,that I would have probably did the same way. :(

Humans have a selfish way of never wanting to give up on the things,people,animals, that we seem to need in our every day lives. often times,we hold on,to our pets,knowing that it's only a matter of time before it happens,because of our needs.By making that call,you were very unselfish,and you gave Ghostie the chance to end it peacefully ,without extended pain and suffering,and for that ,I give you some shared tears and a big ole' hug,as you were very brave.

Don't dwell on it though as it only makes it harder(I am the worst for that) :o

Remember all her happy moments,and how pretty she was. :heart:heart:heart