Hospital Tank

Chrissy_Bee

Hi everyone,

I'm not going to put all the perams because this has to do with a hospital tank I'm going to set up this afternoon.

My lionhead Elaine has developed really bad sbd over the past few months (I think it was caused when I had some pH problems) and the time's come to seperate her from the other fish. She just lays on the bottom and today I noticed her tail is really looking frayed. Some may think it's time for me to put her down but I dont' have the heart, she still tries to eat like a little pig and swims around as best she can. My question is, what should I do with the small tank I'm setting up for her?

I have a spare 10 gallon and Aquaclear mini, and plenty of cycled filter media to put in it. I'm going to leave it bare bottomed so she doesnt' hurt her fins anymore by rubbing them. I'm wondering if I should bother with meds? I think I'll put in melafix just to help her tail, but her sbd seems like it won't go. I've treated her with medigold twice with no improvements...but I am willing to try anything. Suggestions???

Thanks,

Chrissy

Poor Elaine. You know I did the same with my pearlscale and she is quite happy on her own in the barebottom 10 gallon with nothing in it. She shuffles along the bottom and sleeps next to the one ornament ( a stone). She eats like a pig too. The melafix is fine -it is so gentle and a little salt perhaps for the tail but for the sbd I would concentrate on diet. 3 days peas only and then one day fast? Then plenty of veggies/gelfood. See if it helps at all. I am afraid my pearlscale has been the same way for over a year and a half and I too cannot bring myself to put her to sleep either.

Is her poop fine? No sores? If so she doesn't need the medigold in my opinion. The tailrot should heal up very well with no stress, good water and the melafix. Fins crossed that she improves in the new set up :heart .

Thanks for the help. I just put her in the tank. It's been so long since the poor thing got her share of food that I hand fed her a bunch of pellets, she didn't even try to shy away, just gobbled them up! I put melafix in the water and I'm going to start the pea diet tomorrow.

Other than the inability to swim and tattered fins she seems ok, no sores or anything. So hopefully she'll at least stay the same and maybe even get better.

Chrissy