Sign in to follow this  
Guest nessa73

Black Spots

Guest nessa73

Hello,this is my first time on here, and i dont know if im doing it right.I have a yellow goldfish, hes perfectly healthy,lives in a biorb60 with two other fancy fish and a tiny goldfish, he seems perfeclty healthy apart from the fact that hes turning black???Its happened with him before, the others are fine,the black is under his chin,lol, his tail fin and his back fin, it just looks like someone has coloured him in,Like i say he had it before but not this bad, and that went on its own..We're just totally stumped as what to do about it,is there anyone who can help me with this puzzle,hope so,bye for now..

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Can you try to answer as many of the questions in the box above (you can copy and paste) as this will enable us to get a better idea of what's going on. If possible a picture or two would be great too.

Do you know what the Ammonia, NitrIte and NitrAte and pH readings are for your biorb? The reason I ask is that black markings immediately bring to mind what we call "ammonia burns" this can be due to toxic levels of ammonia building up in the tank, if the biologocal filter is not established or if the water volume too small. Although, if only one fish has it that may not be the cause. How long has the the biorb been setup and is the filter fully working? How often do you change the water and how much?

Another explanation is that it may just be that your fish is developing normal black colouring/markings - a picture would help us to say for sure.

Post back soon with the above and someone experienced will be able to help you better :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

MrBumblebee, Your post got through first! :) The only thing I can say now is that the tank converts to about 15 us gallons. (60 liters.)

Edited by MyGoldfishIsLumpy

I'd be interested to see a picture too - my three year old six and a half inch fantail started "smudging" and because it came with bottom sitting I freaked. After treating her and seeing that the black marks became more smudgy and spread, I am begining to think it is her color changing - can you give us a pic?