Cory In Trouble!

Water params:

Ammonia-0

Nitrites-0

Nitrates-0

pH-7.5

I have been cycling a tank for a while and decided to put tropical freshwater fish in it. It's a twenty gallon. So on Friday I went ot to the lfs and bought three Glowfish, a Tiger Barb, a Coolie Loach, and a Panda Corydoras:newfish! But on Saturday I noticed my barb and my Panda Cory seemed kind of lonely. Sure enough, I found out they were both schooling fish. So I got another Tiger Barb and a Golden Barb, an Albino Corydoras, a Bronze Corydoras, a Juhli Corydoras, and a Plateus Corydoras, and decided to also get a Zebra and Gold Danio to add to my school of Glowfish. When I brought my fish home, however, my new Albino Cory was acting wierd. All of the other fish were all over the tank(except for my Coolie Loach, whose always hiding), but he was just sitting there on the bottom. This morning he was sort of floating to his side and a little while later he passed away:cry1. I went to the store and got a new Albino, and he and the other fish are fine, but now my Panda Cory is expressing the same symptoms my Albino did when I brought him home! Please, I'm begging you to help! I don't want to lose my cute little Panda, he's so cute! You guys helped me so much when my Fantail Goldfish, Sunny, was sick. So please help my little cory! Thanks!

Original Stock: Three Glowfish, Tiger Barb, Coolie Loach, Panda Corydoas.

New Stock: Zebra Danio, Gold Danio, Tiger Barb, Golden Barb, Albino Corydoras(This one is still alive), Bronze Corydoras, Juhli Corydoras, Plateus Corydoras.

A total of fourteen fish.

Just went out to check on him and unfourtunatley I think he's beyond saving. He might have been dead already, but when I nudged him with the net I think I saw him move a little, but it was on the bottom on his side, and if he did move it was on his side. I put him in a separate container to keep him safe from other fish, but it may not matter, cause if he's still alive sadly he will be gone real soon :cry1 . I wish I could have helped him, but I think it's too late to do anything. Poor little guy.

I'm sad to report that he passed away this morning :cry1 . I want another, but before I get one, what was happening to him, and if it ever happens again, how do I stop it? I want to take these things into consideration before purchasing another cory. Please try to answer soon. Thanks!

I had that happen, too. I bought 4 albinos and a few other trops and put them in a qt tub. They were all fine for a few days, eating and swimming around like normal. Then the cories started dying and I lost all 4. Not sure why though. I have 6 other cories that I've had for awhile now and they are all doing well.

One thing that could cause it I think is if the ones you bought were from a recent shipment to the store. The stress from shipping and then being moved to a new environment again without time to settle in could be too much--just a guess.

You don't think this will happen to my other cories, do you? I sure hope not! Just a thought, is it possible that they could have starved to death? I feed them regularly, but my other fish like my Danios and Barbs are so fast that they get nearly all the food before any goes to the bottom where my remaining cories stay, and any that does go to the bottomis mostly eaten by the barbs that scavenge the bottom for food. I know some gets to the cories, but is it enough for all four of them? I sure hope they didn't starve, what an aweful way to die! I hope that whatever happened to them, they weren't in any pain.

If you only got them on Friday then they shouldn't have starved in a couple days. Of course they may not have gotten enough food at the fish store either--hard to say. I feed Hikari sinking carnivore pellets 2 or 3 times a week to make sure the cories get enough food. The pellets are too big so I crush them up first into smaller pieces. I also feed Tetramin flakes and freeze dried brine shrimp and some of those end up on the bottom, too.

Yeah, my gold barbs are scavengers also, but the cories must be doing ok since they've been in there a few months and have grown bigger! :D

Fishlord, your tank wa not cycled when you added all those fish to it. Also, when you start a new tank, you don't want to add alot of fish at once, especially sensitive fish like cories. It is best to start with about 3 good hardy fish of one species, then over time, add a few at a time. It sounds to me like everything happened too fast. Also, judging by the stock numbers you posted, your tank is overstocked. All of these things put together wreak havok on a new setup/fish.

What are the tank params now?

I'm not trying to pick at you, I am only trying to help. :)

I know you are not just picking on me, you're just trying to help me like you said, and right now any kind of help is really what I need. I would like to say some things, though. First of all, my tank is cycled. I think I said that in my first post. I did the fishless cycle for it. Second, I did not add all those fish at once. I started out with four Danios, a Coolie Loach and the Panda Cory, watched them for a few days, and seeing that all was well, got some more. I see now that this was a mistake. I know that I'm overstocked, way too many fish for a thirty gallon tank, and I probably should have quarrentined them before adding them to the tank. The problem was I had nowhere to quarrentine them in. But I have a really good Marineland Penguin filter that filters 200 gph, and I have been doing partial water changes daily to get everything settled and to keep the params down until everything is perfect. All my other fish are acting good, no more problems with cories or any other fish. Also, I am definetly not getting any more fish for the tank, I'd rather have a small amount of healthy fish than a large amount of sick ones. I hope I didn't sound mean in those first few sentences, just trying to give you the facts. Thanks for all your help! :D

Oh yeah, my water params! Ammonia is at 0.50, nitrite 0.25, nitrate 0, pH 7.5. I know they're a little high, but I've been doing partial daily water changes to reverse this, and I have a good filter, which will hopefully help, too.

How long have you been working on this tank to cycle it?You're saying that it's allreay cycled,but if that's the case,you'd have at least some smll number reading for Nitrates,and your Ammonia,and Nitrites would be reading 0.Yes,it's possible that you may have "bumped" your cycle,by adding the fish like you did,but my main question is was the tanking reading 0 Ammonia/Nitrite and some sort of Nitrate reading when you started?

Cories are not the best fish to get when you're starting out a new tank as they tend to be very vulnerable to any water problems.

Also,just an FYI,Cory Cats do like to school,but they really do prefer their own kind.They'll hang out with everyone if that's all that they have,but I have found them to be much happier with their own kind. :exactly

Continue to do the daily water changes,and make sure that you treat the new water and match temps to the tank water.It's advisable not to let those param numbers go any higher than they are now,especially with the Panda Cory as he is one of the more delicate.

Well it's good to hear that you are vigilant with your water changes, but I have a few concerns. First, .50 Ammonia reading is potentially deadly to fish, if not fatal. To drop that number (and nitrItes too) you will have to do daily 50% water changes, if not more often. Second, you said in your post that your NitrAtes are reading 0. A cycled tank will have nitrates. Try reading this link for more info on cycling- http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

I hope this helps you to better understand the cycling process. It's easier than it sounds. The important thing is, getting those Ammonia and Nitrites down asap. :)

It has been cycling for about a month, maybe a little less. Three weeks or so? The nitrates were about 10 ppm when everything was done cycling, and there was no trace of ammonia or nitrates, pH was still 7.5 ppm. The Nitrates have probably gone down because they were messed up when the other params went out of whack. Everyone seems okay now, but I do know how deadly bad params can be, and I'm certainly trying to get them all down to normal and settled, no matter how fine everyone looks. Thanks so much for all your help!

P.S. Devs, the Panda Cory is the one that died.