Sign in to follow this  
love goldfish

Just Got Moore And Comet From Friend

:newfish . That is good for the fish. My ex boyfriend's son brought over his 2 goldfish since he is moving too far and can't take them with him. It was surprising to find out that the goldfish were 2 and 3 yrs old. The comet might be 2 inches and the black moore looks like it might be 1-1 1/2 inches. Of course he had them in a very small tank. He should have known better, he seen my 55 gallon for 4 goldfish when he would come visit and see his father, when we were living together. I am afraid that the internal organs being squished for so long might cause problems and they won't live long. Is there a chance, now being in a 55 gallon that they will grow some, I know they will never be the size they should be. They are used to no water changes :ill , I was surprised when he said when the water evaporated he added more water. I said to him "So they are used to high nitrates and bad water, you could have killed them". He didn't have a response. He heard the stupid rule that they grow as big as the tank they are in. :krazy: . They are doing fine with my fantail and redcap oranda, even though the fantail, Speedy is huge. He seems to protect smaller fish and stay close to them. Any problems I should be looking for.

They must feel like they are in a mansion being in a 55 gallon with lots of room to swim. They are healthy, I looked at them closely no problems with infection or ich or anything i have read about or experienced with my fish with illnesses. I will take a few pics and get them up soon. Just woke up and need to find my digital camera.

No one going to have any thoughts on this or advise. I have been waiting for a reply. The fish are doing well and eating, just need to know if there will be problems later with them, since they were in such a small tank for so long.

I do not really know too much about stunted growth, but I have read that the physical appearence of the fish stays small due to cramped living conditions, but the internal organs continue to grow the way they were meant to grow, leading to big organs being pushed together in a small body. I do not know when this will start to show signs of trouble. But they are small for the type and age of goldfish that they are.

They sound healthy and I am glad you were able to help them. Good luck and looking forward to pics.

I wish I got more than one response, I know alot of people in here would have some advise but don't know why no one else responded. I will have pics soon, just haven't had time to get digital camera and take them.

Edited by love goldfish

I wish I got more than one response, I know alot of people in here would have some advise but don't know why no one else responded. I will have pics soon, just haven't had time to get digital camera and take them.

What kind of advice are you looking for? I wasn't really sure from your post.

Otherwise it sounds like you've brought them home and put them in a good environment. You want to be careful since you adding them to an existing tank. It might be good to treat the whole tank as if it were a quarantine tank and everyone in there just arrived. I like to start treating mine with PraziPro and keep them lightly salted (0.1% - in case I have a filter blip from the added bioload) after they've had 2-3 days to settle in and I'm sure there isn't anything really urgent to deal with.

chances are they wont live much longer, sadly they will probably suffer a very painful death, it is great that u rescued them, at least now they can enjoy their last weeks or months or however long they have depending on the fish

I hope they have more time than that. They are so cute. I just lost my black moore I had for 5 yrs and I don't want to be losing anymore anytime soon.

Well, a lot of times, fish kept in a small environment for the beginning of their lives will only be semi-stunted. It is possible that these fish will still grow a bit given a good home. Granted, they will never reach their full size potential, it is still quite possible that they will live full lives with you. My mom once had a feeder fish, (many years ago before we knew anything about caring for fish), who lived for 7 years in a 3 gallon bowl and never grew longer than about 2.5 inches. :ignore I know that is horrible but my point is that your goldfish may still live despite their ordeal!

Well, at this point their health is a matter of luck. :idont There have been severely stunted fish that lived happily for years and there have been ones that lived very short lives.

In any case, they are probably happy about the better tank conditions. :)

Good luck!

with ur good care they might live a little longer, it kinda depends on the individual fish