All Gone

The last of my show fish went to their new home today. I'm down to the lowest number of fish that I've had in years at 34. I've got some very empty ponds and tanks right now but I'm sure it won't take long to fill them up again. From now on the space is reserved just for rescues.

well thats cool i bet your going to miss them! on the other hand rescue some much needy fish.. poor things i found a red cap that sat forever at the lfs and i called just to see if they still had him. i went and picked him and it was love at first site. he's actually very pretty and good size! why nobody wanted him i have no clue.. so he's in my home now getting spoiled like my kids! :heart

Kudo's on the rescue plans.

I'm an oddity to fish keeping in that I dont go after the big "beautiful" fish. Instead I look for the ones that probably nobody wants due to a deformity or some other undesireable trait. I mean, Goober is a great example. He will definatley not win any beauty contests. But hes a happy fish and normally he has a great personality (I think he is upset with me for pulling Patch out of his tank).

well thats cool i bet your going to miss them! on the other hand rescue some much needy fish.. poor things i found a red cap that sat forever at the lfs and i called just to see if they still had him. i went and picked him and it was love at first site. he's actually very pretty and good size! why nobody wanted him i have no clue.. so he's in my home now getting spoiled like my kids! :heart

I read the thread you posted on him. Maybe no one took him home because he was meant to be yours! I believe that paths do not cross by random chance. And yeah I miss them but they all went to great homes where they can live to great potential.

Edited by Ryukinluver

Kudo's on the rescue plans.

I'm an oddity to fish keeping in that I dont go after the big "beautiful" fish. Instead I look for the ones that probably nobody wants due to a deformity or some other undesireable trait. I mean, Goober is a great example. He will definatley not win any beauty contests. But hes a happy fish and normally he has a great personality (I think he is upset with me for pulling Patch out of his tank).

There's nothing wrong with that. Some times the ones who give us the most joy are the ones who needed the most TLC to get swimming again! I know that's true of me and my rescues!

I used to rescue Bettas from the LFS. I'd go in and see these poor suffering fish in filthy, stinky water. Nobody wanted them -- they were half dead and I just knew they'd die if I didn't do something. I used to hassle the manager to give me the sick and leftover bettas, then I'd take them home, put them in my betta hospital and medicate them if necessary then keep them in my fish room in divided five gallon tanks. A lot died, but some pulled through and when that happened it was great. I got beautiful fish that way. You wouldn't believe how a half-dead, ugly fish could improve with a little TLC and care.

Ryukin, tell me about your rescues. What do you look for in goldfish for a rescue? Do you buy them or get the LFS to give them to you? I often see fancy goldfish at the chain brand stores and some of them are swimming funny or have bad eyes.... Once you get them, what do you do?

Hi Ryukin, do you rescue anykind of fish or just goldfish? How do you rescue a fish?

I try to stick to just goldfish since I have more experience with them. I do have some tropicals and an oscar that I haven't found a home for yet. Several of the fish I have now came from a pet store that my community closed down b/c it was severely neglecting the animals it had. (I live in a very small town) One of my good friends is one of the animal control officers who helped in the seizure of all the animals from that store. Our animal control shelter is the only animal shelter here and it was grossly unequipped to care for all the fish that were taken from the store. My friend called me because he knows what an aquatics nut I am and so I did what I could to help out. I spent 4hrs sorting through fish dividing them up between the ones who I thought had a chance to make it and the ones who didn't. Out of about 300 fish I took home 140. Unfortunately the others had to be put down. From the 140 I brought home I managed to actually rehabilitate about 70 or so fish. Many of them were just too far gone despite all my efforts. When every one was healthy again all but 4 of the fish went to an auction to benefit children's charities. The Oscar was the only one who didn't find a home that day but that's just because he's so flippin BIG!

How do you rescue a fish? Well you find fish in pet stores that are sick or injured or you get them from people who don't want them any more. You take them home and provide them with the quality food, water, and medications it takes to make them well. Then if I decide that I haven't fallen in love with the fish I find it a home where I'm sure it will be cared for properly. That's how I do it anyway.

Ryukin, tell me about your rescues. What do you look for in goldfish for a rescue? Do you buy them or get the LFS to give them to you? I often see fancy goldfish at the chain brand stores and some of them are swimming funny or have bad eyes.... Once you get them, what do you do?

When I rescue fish I look for a fish that's needs to be rescued but isn't too far gone. I try to get the LFS to give me them fish and most of the time they do especially if I begin to audibly point out the illnesses of ALL the fish in that tank. (By that time they're usually ready to pay me to leave) > :) But if they won't give it then I will buy it. I have an lfs that calls me up at times and asks me to take on a rescue or two but that guy REALLY loves fish and he only calls me if he absolutely doesn't have any room for any more. And then of course since every one in my little town calls me "that crazy fish lady" people bring me fish that are sick or fish that they just don't want any more.

Every fish I get is QTed and treated for ailments A through Z and 1,2,3. I probably have enough fish meds to run my own fish pharmacy. Then once they've recovered from all that I release them into a rehab pond for about 3 to 6 months. (that depends also on what time of the year it is) Once they have some good weight on them and are fully recooped I put them on my "A" list and find them new homes.

Cool Olivia,

They used to call me the "Crazy Betta Lady" at the local fish stores around here, LOL. The poor manager always got that "deer in the headlights look" when I'd show up to inspect the betta cups.

I also used to have quite a pharmacy for my rescues. It's completely satisfying to take a fish that is near death, medicate it and watch it recover and realize its full potential. Often that doesn't happen and the fish is too far gone, but the success stories are rewarding.

How big is your rehab pond? Do you have all types of goldfish in there? In my pond the comets will not tolerate fancy tailed fish.

Great effort, btw. Keep up the good work! :-)

How big is your rehab pond? Do you have all types of goldfish in there?

I actually have six ponds right now. A 150g for smaller fish, two 250g pond, one 1500g, one 4000g, and a 1200g that used to be a swimming pool (I'm getting rid of that one soon though). No I do not have a yard to speak of. I've got at least one fish of each of the commonly found breeds for the US except for pearl scales. For some reason I don't have very good luck with those. I'm cautious when it comes to mixing commons/comets with fancys. It depends on how individual fish behave. I have a pond of just commons and comets because they don't play nice with others.

Wow. Kudos to you on rescuing goldies. I wouldn't be able to give away mine, but I guess it's different when you have a lot or keep them in ponds because then you probably don't get so attached to them because you have so many. Hopefully since you have more room you can rescue goldies in need.

Actually when I had 340 fish I still knew them all by sight and most by name. Just b/c I have so many doesn't mean I don't love each as an individual. I have to let some go though because if I don't then I'll run out of room for the ones who are still in need.

It sounds like a full time job Olivia. I really applaud you for taking on the needs of creatures that have no voice. I wonder if you could give yourself a name and set yourself up as an NGO - but perhaps that doesn't appeal to you- I can understand that. Rescue fish are the ones that capture my heart too. Everyone loves the beauties after all. I begged the store to let me have Princess (who was dieing in a tub of blue meds). She thrived for me and had such a sweet and gentle character before she passed a year and a half later. I have never owned a classic show fish but all my fish are show fish to me.

It sounds like a full time job Olivia. I really applaud you for taking on the needs of creatures that have no voice. I wonder if you could give yourself a name and set yourself up as an NGO - but perhaps that doesn't appeal to you- I can understand that. Rescue fish are the ones that capture my heart too. Everyone loves the beauties after all. I begged the store to let me have Princess (who was dieing in a tub of blue meds). She thrived for me and had such a sweet and gentle character before she passed a year and a half later. I have never owned a classic show fish but all my fish are show fish to me.

It is a full time job. If I didn't work at home I couldn't do it. I'm not interested in becoming an NGO. If I did that then people would start expecting alot more out of me and I'm givin all I got at the moment just keeping my little slice running. I know what you mean about your rescues being your show fish. My friends who show still don't get it. They said I was crazy to get rid of all the "good" fish. That's ok they don't have to get it. To each his own I say!

I went back to work and couldn't keep up with the fish room anymore, so I broke it down. It really is a full-time job to rescue and rehabilitate as many fish as you're doing, but I applaud your efforts.

I often wonder why people treat fish the way they do. If it were cuddly puppies, they might think twice, you know?

No they wouldn't think of how many cuddly puppies and kittens are starved and neglected just because people don't care. There's a lot of people in play to rescue dogs and cats and other mammals. I haven't seen a lot of people take up the cause of helping fish. I figured I needed to fill in the blank for my area.

You had to ask didn't you? :) 17 tanks ranging from 10g to 200g I keep most of the tanks in den which used to be a two car garage.

Yes, yes I did. :D I wish I had room for a 40-50 gallon tank, along with the money to get one. :cry1 But I guess I'll have to keep dreaming.

You could always save up for one. Just because I keep alot of fish doesn't mean I'm rolling in dough either. I've had to figure out a lot of ways to cut corners and manage my finances. I haven't bought a new tank in a long time but the last one I got was around $3000 when every thing was all paid for. I had to save up for that one for over a year.

You could always save up for one. Just because I keep alot of fish doesn't mean I'm rolling in dough either. I've had to figure out a lot of ways to cut corners and manage my finances. I haven't bought a new tank in a long time but the last one I got was around $3000 when every thing was all paid for. I had to save up for that one for over a year.

Yeah, well hopefully 'll be able to get a job when I move. Maybe then I'll have enough for a 40 gallon tank. I'm wanting to get a bigger tank so I can alow more room for my 5 goldfish in my 20 gallon. Though it may be overcorwded, I'm a dedicated mommy and always keep the water quality good along with my 3 Ryukins, one Oranda and one normal fancy goldfish.