Nitrates In Tap Water

Hi guys, I'm helping my sister-in-law to set up a 70 gallon goldfish tank. She's just moved to a new area so I went up yesterday to start measuring up the tank and stand for the equipment (it's custom made) we need to fit filters and a lighting unit etc.. Anyway, while I was there I tested her tap water so we'd have baseline readings.

To my surprise she has very hard tap water (Ph 8, Gh 200 mg/l and Kh 150 mg/l) Anyhow, there was also NitrAte in the tap water of 20 mg/l, I'm not sure if that is the constant level as I only checked it once - I guess it would be good to check a few times over a period of time to see if it flutuates?

We have not started her fishless cycle yet, however with NitrAtes from the tap of 20 to begin with, obviously they are going to climb quicker when the tank is stocked.

My question is - what is the best way to manage a tank using tap water with nitrAtes already in it? Is it best to just to accept 20 as the starting point and try to keep the nitrAtes from climbing too high by regular water changes? And/or is it best to use something to treat the tap water with to reduce the nitrAtes when water changing? Is there a chemical resin (yeah, I don't really like these either) we can put in the filter or a solution we can use?

I explained all this to my sister-in-law yesterday and said I would try to get some opinions on it - my feeling is that you kinda have to just work from 20 being the starting point, do more regular water changes, being careful about overfeeding and stock lightly - but how about treating the water as well?

Thankyou in advance for all comments :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

Claire suggested this product for reducing NitrAtes in freshwater tanks

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=61896

Any other ideas on the broader issue of running a tank with NitrAtes of 20 mg/l straight out the tap? I gather that's quite high even as NitrAtes-in-tap-water go? I was just wondering what other people in that situation did :)

:bump:

OK, so I've also seen a NritAte filter, but I think that may over complicate things for this setup I'm doing. Can any body else recommend any other products or offer any other advice about managing a tank using tap water with NitrAtes in it already?

Otherwise, I'll think I will advise my sister-in-law to stock lightly, feed carefully and water change more, right? I'm just concerned that she may end up with a goldfish that's particularly sensitive to nitrAtes and won't like sitting levels of 20 mg/l.

Gosh, I'm lucky to have basically good values in my own tap water - it's a bother when you have to modify the water before you even use it! :rolleyes::)

Edited by mrbumblebee

I don't know a whole lot about this but have you heard of the nitratezorb pillow? I know koko uses it and people say it helps. You put it in the filter box.

20 sounds like a tough starting point. I would suggest you test it again a few times to see if thats a permanent. I hope a water person will come along and add more for you.

Thanks Imogen :) I'll look into that. I want to try and keep it as simple as possible for my relative to manage.

On another note, I was thinking about switching to Prime water conditioner myself and I was just reading through the website and it says something about higher does of Prime pushing NitrAte into Nitrogen gas (which is presumably diffused through the water) - thats the same way a NitrAte filter works isn't it? Anyway, that may help to keep levels down - I might get her to use that instead of another water conditioner.

Last FAQ

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Prime_faq.html

The Nitra-Zorb sounds interesting

http://www.aquariumpharm.com/en_gb/product...?productid=1837

I'll look into that a bit more.

The only thing is that originally we were going to have a couple of canisters (it's a 70 gallon tank), but due to the construction of the tank and stand (both custom made) fitting canisters is going to be difficult, if not impossible so we're going to go for large internal filters for now - not sure if the Nitra-Zorb pillows will fit inside the media casing, I think they're better in a canister filter. I'll have a ponder about it, thanks again :)