Snails And Goldies

dana

I know not to put a snail with a goldie because the goldies would possibly torment it and injure it, but what if your snail is large (2 inches in diameter) and the goldie is a baby? I'm thinking of getting a baby goldie, but i do NOT want to put my snail at risk! I love this snail. No joke. Are there any breeds of goldies that might be less harmful to a snail? Like one of the more visually impaired types? Thanks guys!

I just thought i'd add that currently the snail is alone in a filtered 5 gallon tank, and i have an empty, running 10 gallon tank that is waiting for a new inhabitant. I'm just trying to figure out wheher i could get away with my snail, a new goldie and only one tank.

Well, I have a little gold mystery snail (1/2 in. in diamter) that I goy yesterday, and so far, my betta or 1 1/2 inch baby fancy hve not touched it (same size tank as yours). What kind of snail u got? lol mine likes to float, and crawl all over everything.

Guest GunnerRomantic

you could probably try it with a visually impaired fish like a bubble eye and monitor them closely, I don't thing a bubble eye would give the snail any problems. i had a snail in my tank b4 and my fish just ignored it even the commons.

I find my full grown goldies tend to nibble at the mystery snails in the tank, but I've never seen any really significant damage. (That wasn't all better in a day or three)

If you're really protective of your snail, I wouldn't do it. Maybe get the snail in the 5 gallon some neon tetras to keep it company?

• 1 month later...
Guest Capucine

How is this going, Dana? What have you done?

I'm not experienced at all evidently, so don't take my word for this... But I have a snail with my full grown goldies (mind you one is sick and the other is too interested in it's own reflection, lol), and I've had snails with goldies in the past when I was a kid, and they all get and got along really well. They never really notice each other, I have found. But, every creature is different naturally. If you feel lucky, put the snail in and watch for 15 mins to see if anyone is bothered, but if you reeeeally love your snail that much, I wouldn't risk it. Fish can definitely torment snails depending on how interested they are.

That's just me. ;)

I keep several snails in with my goldies and I've never ever had a problem. Even my new goldie doesn't bother the snails and they're a new thing to her. I've had the snails since before I got Scud and he was one of those dinky $1.99 fish from mmm so he pretty grew up with them.

while you can get keep snails with goldfish it is not adviasable as the snail can become nibbled on by the goldies and then he will not come out to eat and starve to death

Guest Ink Fish

Hi,

we used to keep our big golden apple snail, Esmerelda in the tank with our goldies they never bothered her, but she as quite a confident. Our previous snail big Bertha was much more timid and used to hide in her shell when they came near. So I guess it's down to the personality of the fish and of the snail. Also, a telescope would be best coz they're very short-sited. Just remember snails need 2.5 gallons each so your 10 gal tank is gonna be maxed-out unless the goldie is tiny.

i have kept several snails in with my gf even the really tiny ones and have never had a problem they live longer in a cooler tank and as long as he gets enough food he should be fine.

Archived