Id For These Guys?

I would say they are snails. :rolleyes:

Great photos!

say, are those snails getting ..."friendly"?

As you have probably guessed, I have no idea about snails. I just love the photos though!

say, are those snails getting ..."friendly"?

I think the one is hitching a ride because the glass bowl was a lot harder to hang on to than his buddy's shell. :exactly

Oh!!! When I saw the word bunyip, It sounded like bunny-yip in my head -- which I thought was kind of cute :rolleyes: . Then I clicked your link and needless to say, I was a bit surprised. Nope, no bunnies there :blink: . Sorry, really off topic there. I just have the same snails in my ponds and I too am trying to figure out what they are. The only answer I have gotten from people so far is "those are pest snails... you should kill them." So I'm interested in what people say about them besides confirming that they are, in fact, snails! :rofl

The only answer I have gotten from people so far is "those are pest snails... you should kill them."

To whom are they a pest?

They haven't bothered me yet. :rolleyes:

Nice pics of those guys.

As far as I can tell by the pics,they do seem to look like Physid (pond/pest snails) to me.

These guys are hermaphroditic,so they need no one to help lay the eggs. :blink:

The bad thing about these snails are,that although they look just as cute as any other snail,because of them being "hermaphroditic",you can have 2 that you see around for a few months,and 2 months later ,there may be 300 or more.

I once bought plants on line that I didn't disinfect enough,and ended up with these guys because of it.It literally took me 5 years to have my tank snail free again. :krazy:

Depending on food source ,determines just how fast they reproduce.

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/r90020.htm

Thanks Devs! Well the reason that those snails have taken over my half barrel pond is because I put a plant from one of my big natural ponds into the half-barrel pond. So I can just move all of the adult snails back into my big pond as they show up. :D No big deal!

yup I was just getting to say that those looked like pest snails. They multiply like crazy. They will rapidly overtake your pond. It you want to get rid of them try adding some aquarium salt to the water

A couple months ago when these "pests" were itty bitty things, I took one from the pond and gave it to my Betta as a friend. Someone else said her Betta got on well with a snail.

My Betta saw it. He was delighted, and dashed over to play a game of "me great white shark - you slab of bacon." :blink:

He grabbed the snails foot and "shook it like a Polaroid Picture." Little snail popped out of the shell, Betta swallowed, and an empty shell tumbled to the bottom of the container. :o

I didn't try that one again,

A couple months ago when these "pests" were itty bitty things, I took one from the pond and gave it to my Betta as a friend. Someone else said her Betta got on well with a snail.

My Betta saw it. He was delighted, and dashed over to play a game of "me great white shark - you slab of bacon." :blink:

He grabbed the snails foot and "shook it like a Polaroid Picture." Little snail popped out of the shell, Betta swallowed, and an empty shell tumbled to the bottom of the container. :o

I didn't try that one again,

OMG. :rofl

OMG. :rofl

That was pretty much my reaction.

Oh come now, think of the poor snaily waily... :(

.... :rolleyes::rofl

My goldfish would love some 'pest snails' -I don't think they'd last a week in my tank. -Lets just ssay, I've given up on trying to keep snails, they're just like really expensive hors d'ourves for my goldies. :rolleyes:

It is a sad thing that these snails make soooooooooooo many babies, or else I would love to have a few! But I think that my white and my gold mystery pair will have to do for now. Good luck with them!

hey Dan did you change your User name? and btw I love your new siggy

Yup! I changed it.

That's pics of all my critters, from the first. I still have the betta and the two on the right.