What Filter To Buy?

Hey,

Iv got a approx ~55 gallon tank, with 1 'hang on' filter, and 2 smaller internal filters (with a common goldie, and a fantail). Not too sure how much litres they turnover though, and not sure of brand/models.

My question is .. is it worth buying a cannister filter or something?

If so, how many litres should my tank get of water being turned over, and if you could recommend a filter. My budget is around $200

~thanks

i was thinking a cannister filter? as i already have a HOB filter, and 2 internal ones.... a cannister would keep the water cleaner?>

Here in the States,the Aquaclears have always been known to be a good filter with a bang for the bucks. Recently though,there was a huge raise in cost though,which has now made the price totally ridiculous.

If looking at Power filters,I'd consider 2 of the Emperor 400's.If looking into the cannisters,you can't go wrong with the bigger Eheim's.A lot of people also like the Fluval Cannisters also :)

I agree, adding a canister filter into your filter-mix for a 55 gallon tank could be very beneficial.

You could either add a smaller one in with the filter types you have already have or a larger one and take out a one or two of your exsiting filters (use the filter media from them to seed the new media in the canister) if you wanted to create more space.

Aim for 10 x's an hour plus for goldfish tanks. You need at least 550 gallons per hour filtration. Work out how many gallons per hour your existing filters do altogether and seperately and then you can work out what size canister you want - like I said a larger one or medium/smaller one and what your options and priorities are - you have many combinations you can do.

Personally, If I was going to add in a canister I'd want one powerful enough so you could phase out a couple of your Internals - that would create more tank space and give a less clutered environment and as a good filtration upgrade. However, you have lots of options and it's up to you.

Maybe take a look at the Fluval 05 range and the Rena filstar xp range. Eheims are popular too, but cost more.

You have a good budget there - for either second hand or buying from new. Take a look around at prices in your area and take a look at the makers websites too.

Like I said, personally my starting point would be to work out how much filtration you have already and whether you simply wanted to replace or add capacity. A canister filer is a good addition to a larger tank and can host a vast amount of beneficial bacteria, whereas internals and HOB's are good for mechanical filtration as well as biological filtration. Hope that helps :)

Edited by mrbumblebee