Tanks And Housing For Bettas?

Guest Jenny Lee

Guest Jenny Lee

I know there's a whole forum section on tanks, but thats for goldfish. It burns me up to see the nnnnnn 'all about male betta' flyer that says they can live in a little bowl and keep them in these cups that are half empty. :krazy: So short of buying up all nnnnnn's stock of bettas to keep them from being cruel to fish, I guess I'll have to get my betta from a breeder in order to not encourage walmarts sales. Though I was sooooo tempted today by a scrappy little blue and red guy and the pretty pink female they had that was so lively. She won't be that way in a few days I bet. :(

Anyway, I notice that a lot of the tanks in stores around my area are by someone named 'Regent' and the tank I was looking at for a betta was a 5 gallon hex tank with a built in BIO-Wheel filter into the hood. Is this a good sort of tank, or should I avoid using the built in filter and buy a second sort of filter. I do want a hexegonal tank though, and that is the only one in my area, short of an ugly Jack Sparrow thing, and something thats only 1 gallon acrylic thing, which I've been told to avoid like the plague. o-o

I also see lots of things advertised for bettas like little plastic 1/2 gallon tub thingies and bowls. Doesn't seem right to me. :/ Bettas are still fish too.

Anyway, I figure we need a thread about betta housing and tank care and stuff, since thats one of the few topics we don't have pinned up in this section.

Oh, and this is a link that I found that I like, with lots and lots of betta info, but they do talk about tanks also.

http://www.flippersandfins.net/faq.htm

But next month is the month for my new fish! :newfish It'll be so fun! :D

Guest GunnerRomantic

your pretty much on top of things here.

1 gal. plus is fine for a betta. the hexagon tank sounds good i wouldn't worry about buying another filter the one on the tank is probably fine just remember to keep it on the low setting as bettas don't like a lot of current.

whats wrong with acrylic tanks??? my tanks are all acrylic i've never had a problem.(there also cheeper and stronger than glass tanks)

Edited by GunnerRomantic

That 5g hex is a good tank. It is actually made by Marineland, but sold at nnnnnnn under the Regent-Aquatech brand. Unfortunately, the filter output can't be adjusted. I have the Marineland branded version as the home for my betta Buster. I use live plants to break up the flow from the filter. He loves it, whether he's slinking and lurking in the plants or if he's begging for bloodworms.

Edited by br553

. I found a used tank on craigslist here in St. Louis. I plan on making dividers for it so I can house my male and female together. The lady selling it says it is a 5.5 gallon. cool. A lot of companies make stuff for Wally world and put a different name on it. The one I am getting is actually a eclipse I believe but when they make it for Wally world they put Culture brand on the side. It is the same thing

they are rather neat looking. I wondered how they are clean too. The only thing holding me back from getting one is the price. They are like $ 60 new for the 4 gallon one at vvvv. That is cool some had it at the thrift store

they are rather neat looking. I wondered how they are clean too. The only thing holding me back from getting one is the price. They are like $ 60 new for the 4 gallon one at vvvv. That is cool some had it at the thrift store

You can save a few bucks by buying it at www.vvvv.com, but be sure to use an online coupon to make it even cheaper. You can get the shipping for free, and several more dollars knocked off by doing a google search for "vvvv online coupons".

I've seen those Biorbs around. Are they easy to take care of? It looks kind of awkward.

Still trying to figure that part out. I heard that you can buy a mini pump for it, kinda Python style, but I haven't seen it yet. I did my first water change in mine today, as it's still cycling, and I took out 1 gallon with a styrofoam cup that worked just fine. :lol1

here is the gravel vacuum for your biorb. It is for all sizes of biorbs including the little one like yours . I bought one becuase us you take of off the biorb attachments on the ends you can use it for any aqaurium. I love it. It has a suction bulb attached to it to start the suction going . You have to squeeze it a few times but then the water flows like crazy. Very worth the price. they have it at vvvv. I was going to copy the add and paste but they have locked down more of the computer functions here at work and it won't let me. They have it at vvvv and it is called the Biord and Biube cleaner pump. It costs $ 8.99

here is the gravel vacuum for your biorb. It is for all sizes of biorbs including the little one like yours . I bought one becuase us you take of off the biorb attachments on the ends you can use it for any aqaurium. I love it. It has a suction bulb attached to it to start the suction going . You have to squeeze it a few times but then the water flows like crazy. Very worth the price. they have it at vvvv. I was going to copy the add and paste but they have locked down more of the computer functions here at work and it won't let me. They have it at vvvv and it is called the Biord and Biube cleaner pump. It costs $ 8.99

My local vvvv doesn't carry it, so I'm still looking. I'm not willing to buy it online because shipping costs as much as the unit itself. So until I find it, it's me and my cup. :lol1

I bet if you look around you will find it at some other lfs . vvvv can/t be the only one who has it. I just love the thing. It works great and no more sucking on the end of the gravel vac to get it going

I bet if you look around you will find it at some other lfs . vvvv can/t be the only one who has it. I just love the thing. It works great and no more sucking on the end of the gravel vac to get it going

I found it today! Yay! No more cup water changes.

Did the OP decide on a tank yet? Sorry for the hijack! :yeah:

The very best Betta tank I ever had was a Marineland Eclipse three gallon tank. It had a flourescent light so I could grow live plants for my betta and a great filtration system.

Another great set-up I had in my fish room were divided five gallon tanks. I would divide the middle of a five gallon tank, using craft mesh and the plastic spines that come on report covers. I'd glue the divider in place in the tank, then fill with gravel to hold it even better. Then I'd put in a corner, box filter on each side, so the tank had two little filters. I'd hook those up to an air pump, add plants and I've have room for two bettas in each tank. At one point I had ten of these tanks up and running in my fish room, on shelves and it looked great. I cleaned everything with a python aquarium vac.

Five gallon tanks are very inexpensive to set up, so that would be a cheaper route than $45 for the Eclipse Tank. I only had one Eclipse tank and I kept that upstairs, out of the fish room for a special betta.

Here's a pic of one rack in my fish room:

fishroomrack1.jpg

yup I am thinking of getting a ten gallon and a stand and doing a sorority tank or maybe splitting the 10 gallon up in 3s with dividers and housing my male and a couple females in their own divided seciton. here is a post from the betta site I belong to by Joby . You can make your own dividers

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BettaBreeders/i...p?showtopic=573

You have a Fish Room! Sweet!! :yeah:

I'm sorry to say that I no longer have my fish room. I went back to work and broke the room down. I hope to have another someday when I'm old and retired though, LOL. I imagine myself breeding bettas and guppies, and keeping great, large tanks of unusual goldfish, and a tank for the puffers my husband has always wanted. :-)