How To Care For A Saltwater Tank?

luv4pets36

So I have only ever had goldfish and some tropicals but I have never before owned a saltwater tank. However, a family friend is looking to get rid of a 60 gallon saltwater tank and she knows that I love fish so she wants to give it to me. Of course, I would love to take it but I really don't know what kind of care is required for this sort of tank. She is very attached to the fish in the tank and hasn't had a single fish fatality since they originally stocked the tank so I want to be sure that I can give them the best care if I do take the tank. What do I need to know about the basics of saltwater? How do you condition the water? Is water changing the same?

Thanks! Any basic advise you can give me is greatly appreciated!!! :D

well i don't know much about saltwater heck i don't no anything but maybe you could ask your friend how to set it up and get them to help you along the way. i would pounce on that tank. :D

Yeah, I just am not going to have much of a chance to ask her anything about it - it is complicated to explain why but basically we are moving in a week and then I am going to be out of town for a while and she would have to bring the tank to our new house while I am out of town.... And right now she is out of town. :krazy: So I still really want the tank though!!! I just have to convince my mom that we have room for it in our house :rofl .

• 4 months later...
Guest marinefishexpert

ok first of all to get a successful saltwater tank its going to cost aroun 200 dollars for a small tank.(around 10 - 20 gallon) 10 through 20 gallons is a good start of size for a few damsels. first of heres the equipment youll need. a protein skimmer. a filter. good lighting. testing kits. salt mix or real ocean water that they sell. live rock sand. and of couse fish.

ok heres the steps.

1. hang all your equipment in the tank.(rinse them first if theyre new.)

2.fill tank with ro water.

3.add salt. half a cup per gallon.

4. mix throughly

5.add live rock.

6. add sand. (you do not need to rinse them.)some ppl add sand 6 moths after their tank is finsihed.

7.check for leaks.

8. wait 1 to 2 months to cycle your tank.im not going to get into the detail of cyclying. but as long as you wait at least a month ull be fine.each tank has its own cycling time

9. after add your fish carefully.

10. MAKE FREQUENT WATER CHANGES.!!!

11. test water weekly.

12. have fun and enjoy!

• 1 year later...

I did some research thinking I would do a nano reeftank. This is what I learned. Saltwater tanks are for the rich. lol Or at least people who have less dogs and less vet bills and so can afford to set one up. Dang just the live rocks I would need to set it up right would cost me at least 75 bucks.

Good luck

I used to do saltwater before switching over to goldies. What you need to do is going to depend a lot on what kind of tank she is giving you. If it is "fish only", no live rock or coral, it can be a bit of a pain but not too much of a learning curve going from fresh. If it's got live rock and coral, that's going to be a bit more difficult. I'm assuming that she's setting the whole thing up for you, and is giving you all the equipment and supplies, so that is a big plus right there. If she loves these fish like she says she does, I'm sure she's going to give you some instructions or books she has on how to care for them, right? And there's always the internet, there are plenty of marine tank websites/forums out there, too! I'm sure you'll manage to get the information you need, one way or another!

You are starting at an advantage, because you already know about basic fishkeeping, which is the same no matter what. You do your testing, you do your water changes (of course with salted, heated water), you add your water conditioners, do tank maintenance, feed appropriate foods, you monitor the condition of your fish. You are also at an advantage in getting a group of fish that are already established in that tank. They already get along together, and obviously are thriving in "tank life". I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be successful keeping them. Some saltwater fish are pretty hardy, it really depends on the type.

As far as what I had in the past, I kept a 55-gallon fish-only salt water tank, and a 5 gallon nano-reef. Like Hidr said, I couldn't afford to do a reef tank in the 55, I'm not that rich!

wow, congrats!! A 60 gal will be a wonderful tank to start with. Pretty pricey to outfit it with everything you may want, but not as scary dealing with sudden tank parameter changes (which is a constant nano-tank worry).

One forum that I lurk on for my own secret saltwater research (4 months in and still too scared to buy a tank - like Hidr said, they are "for the rich", lol!) is nano-reef.com. The people there know SO much. And if you are a beginner and you want to take things slowly and learn the right way, they will be a huge help. (alternately, if you fill your tank up and go out and buy fourteen yellow tangs, they may kill you). My suggestion would be to red as much as you possibly can, until your brain is gonna burst - and then read some more!

The most important thing I've learned so far is to ALWAYS GO SLOW. The only thing that happens quickly in a marine tank is disaster!

Is the tank coming fully stocked? What's all in there??