Those Poor Fish!

Shamu23

Sorry, I have to share this with u guys, I had a horrible experience at a store that will remain unamed, yesterday. There was a tank with aquatic frogs and baby bettas, and all the frogs except for 3 I think were dead. Then almost all the tanks had dead fish. The goldfish section was the worst. All the lionheads except 2 had dropsy, but the other ones were bottom sitting with clamped fins. There were dead fish that were being eaten by the other starving fishies. All the koi were in the smallest tank they had with the red cap orandas and lionheads with dropsy. There was a dying red cap oranda that had only one eye, I really wanted to get that one, cause I mean, who is gonna go and buy a dying fish with one eye? That poor fishie doesnt stand a chance if someone doesnt rescue it, I would have if it wouldnt have been for my parents, and since I dont have room for more fish I could rehab it once its healthy, but my stupid parents dont get how much that poor fishie was suffering. They also had all the shubunkins in one of the smallest tanks, and all their fish were really skinny, I dont think they feed them at all, they were so thin.

I just had to share this horrible experience with all u fellow goldfish lovers, may those poor fishies that pass away rest in peace :cry1

Report them to your animal control authorities. If the fish look like that then I promise they aren't the only pets suffering in that store. Just because your a kid doesn't mean you can't make a difference. Talk to other adults (teachers, your friends parents, ect.) You will find adults that will back you if you look for them. Our community shut down a pet store just like that and we all had to pitch in to rehab what animals we could save because our animal shelter simply wasn't big enough or equipped to deal with the numbers and special need of all those animals . I took 140 fish. Some one took 50 reptiles. Another person took on 85 small mammals and yet other people took on birds, cats, and dogs. And it all started with one person standing up ans saying that this will not be tolerated. You can start the rescue but you can't stand alone on it. Involve your community. I promise you aren't the only one who noticed or who cares.

Its not a petstore, they only have fish and a few other aquatic animals (I think u all know which store Im talking about), and I know that they dont feed them, cause once they opened the little closet thingie to get a net and all they had was 1 can of tropical food, unopened. About 2 weeks later I went there again, they still had that same can unopened, untouched covered in dust, so they probably dont feed them anything at all, one betta that I got from there was eating its own poop from the bottom of the container. Its so sad to see them like that, and sometime soon, i'll go there with my friends and talk to the manager, cause those poor fish, snails, shrimp, hermit crabs, and frogs are all suffering. They leave the same food for the hermit crabs in the cage for about a week, and it gets all gross, smelly, and covered in flies. They dont have any extra shells in there either. I asked my mom if we could get all those fish and rehab them, cause I cant stand seeing them like that, I will do something about it.

I think I know which store you are talking about and it shall go unnamed here. I definetely agree with you. This store should get out of the business of selling fish because they are kept in the most deplorable conditions!!! and worst of all nobody seems to care!!!!!! :mad:

I'm sorry to be so upset but that is how I feel.

About 11 years ago, I worked in the pets department of the company I think you are mentioning. When I was able to transfer to pets, I was shocked, in retrospect, by some of the methods that were used in fishkeeping of the department. The filtration systems that were used were 100gph HOB filters. The filters had not been cleaned in so long the output was almost non-existent. The best I could do (or was allowed to do) was to rinse out the pads. The way the display tanks were set up made it impossible to remove the filter boxes to give them a good scrubbing. The food that was fed to all of the fish was a bulk, brown flake food, again the only kind that was allowed.

On the plus side, all of the tanks did have a trickle water filler along with a drain so the tanks were always getting a minimal supply of fresh water. Although, I think that was meant to top off the tank water when a fish was sold. We also had a Python that I think the department manager bought with her own money. That was used about once a week. The department manager and I did our best with the supplies that we were given to keep the fishies as healthy as possible under the circumstances.

no, not all the stores are bad, theres one here that takes REALLY good care of their fishies, I still am amazed by how good they are to those fishies. But that one that Im talking about is probably the worst. I could cry, cause of those suffering fishies :cry1 . The store is 1 hour away, but thats one of the closest places to get fish, and I got most of mine from there. One of my friends has agreed to come with me sometime to talk to the manager about the conditions the fish are in, its so terrible. For some reason I still really like that store, I just dont like how they treat the animals, afterall, they're living things too. I will let u know once we've talked to them, that could still be a while, but I will talk to them, no matter what, something needs to be done.

I know which store you are talking about. I was at that store a couple days ago and all the fish tanks were empty. Yayyyyyyyy, they are not dealing with fish anymore. All of those stores should do the same. It was so nice to see no more fish. My exboyfriend would go in there and count how many dead fish were in the tanks, so sad.

This is a really old subject that seems to come up constantly. :blink:

As much as it sucks,all fish stores lose fish for what ever reasons.Shipping /stress,etc.,bring in many fish that are all ready sick,or fish with low immune systems that are placed in not so nice environments-therefore making the fish more vulnerable to anything that may all ready be in the tank with them.

As for the place that you're talking about,it's an old complaint,and they've been bashed tons of times for it.When it comes down to it,it is not a Pet Store,therefore you can expect to see more problems than the rest.Inexperienced people are hired, and come and go constantly, and are just placed in that department with out any real training on how to care for these fish.Even sadder is the fact that they buy low-grade fish,and it's probably easier to let the fish die and get a new order in, because medicating/treating would cost a lot more I'm sure.

You can talk to Store Manager's.Sometimes it may make a difference,but most times,it doesn't seem to help,especially when that department's not one of their biggest or most profitable departments.

I've gotten to the point where I buy no fish from this place if I can help it.Sounds sad,but I've been in the aquatic hobby for years,and it took me a long time to actually realize that it's a no win situation.For every fish you may save,there are hundreds that die on a daily basis. :( Most times when you bring new fish home ,and you don't have the knowledge or experience to back it up,you increase the chance of infecting any healthy fish that you may all ready keep,sometimes doing more damage than good.

These poor fish start out on the wrong foot,at an age in their life where it all makes a huge difference on their health/size/long term health,so a lot of times,you may "save" a fish,only to find out later that it died way before it's time because of long,established problems early on in life.

One of the best ways that you can fight back,is to not buy fish from stores that have this sort of reputation.If people do this,then that department makes no money ,which in the end will cause Manager's to close down that department.

There is no point in continuing to buy fish in places like this,that continue on with the same negative care,because by doing that,you keep it opened for more..

I just want to add that around here,we have quite a few of "those stores". Most keep their fish in deplorable conditions,but we actually have one or two that are way better with their care and health.

I know a few other well known pet stores, and as great as their tanks look,there are also a lot of health issues with their fish and care,so it's not always just the Department stores. :blink:

the store once had empty tanks too, but within a week they filled them up again and got new fish. Its one of the only places where I can get fish, other stores are much further away and since the trip is shorter its less stressfull for the fish. I will still try to talk to the manager, cause I know most are bad, but this store is really bad. A different one further away has seperate filters and medications for sick fish, and they take great care of the fish, better than any petstore.

I cant believe what I saw and heard today. I oficially hate that store and Im never buying anothr fish from there :cry1 . There was about 5 people buying fish there today (all buying goldfish). The one lady and her daughter wanted to buy a fantail. The employee person asked how big their tank was, and they said it was the same as one of those behing them. It was a little betta bowl no bigger than 1/8 of a gallon. I know its none of my business but I felt like I had to do something. So I interrupted them and started telling them that goldfish get huge and will die in there, and they wont have any oxygen. The lady working at the store just kept arguing the exact opposite, she said they needed lots of room to swim, and she said that that would be plenty. Eventually she just gave me that "you're just a kid, you dont know anything" stare, and turned around. I left, feeling very upset. The mom of the girl, didnt really wanna buy a goldfish, she wanted a betta, but they bought the goldfish anyway. Eventhough I really dont want that fishy to die, I know it will, so I hope they soon learn their lesson and realize that that kid who doesnt know anything could maybe be right. I started a petition thingy, hoping to get enough signatures, to maybe convince the store that maybe they shouldnt be selling fish. I already got my parents signatures, my brothers and my own. My friends will all sign, and maybe our employee guy, who refused to sign once already, maybe he'll decide to sign afterall.

R.I.P. little fishies. The one with the one eye was gone, almot all dropsied lionheads were gone, and lots of others. Im pretty sure I know what happened to them :cry1

really? Well, we can at least try. Im sure lots of people in our town would support us, especially all the old people lol, they'll do pretty much anything for us kids. I wonder if that poor fishie that they sold is still alive. They told them to do waterchanges no more than once a month. I cant believe they would tell them that :cry1

Thats a great idea, i'll have a look at that and i'll let u know if I do it which I probably will, I gotta read through all of it first. Thanks for the idea :D

• Admin

You know you can do an online petition too.

Hope this helps

If you do one online I will sign it.

I dont mean to sound mean but your sig is HUGE 94KB people with dial up are having problems when they see your post. Its almost 1MB, Please condense it down so that the page loads up faster for others.

Thanks koko

You know you can do an online petition too.

Hope this helps

If you do one online I will sign it.

I dont mean to sound mean but your sig is HUGE 94KB people with dial up are having problems when they see your post. Its almost 1MB, Please condense it down so that the page loads up faster for others.

Thanks koko

Oh I'm sorry. sure no prob I'll just remove it until I get a chance to work on a new one. I promise I'll try to make the next one smaller :D

I think I know the store you are talking about, and the one nearest us seems to take good care of the fish. I know, because every time my DS INSISTS on seeing them. He's already a fish enthusiast at the tender age of 2 1/2, LOL. I've watched them clean out the tanks and feed them, and although conditions are not ideal, and they do lose some fish on occasion, I think that is true for any pet store.

Shamu, I don't disagree. My store is in a nicer neighborhood, so that may have something to do with it, IDK. I've definitely seen some pretty bad stuff, even in some stores in nicer neighborhoods. Maybe it just comes down to who is working that area, adn how much they really care.

I know exactly which store you are talking about. I don't live anywhere near Canada(I live in Ohio, U.S.), but all three of those stores in my area have the exact same conditions. On my last visit I saw two Fantails with a major case of fin rot(ones tail fin was about a centimeter from being completely gone, surprised it could even swim, poor thing), at least five Commons with white spot, about three cases of dropsy, and many other ones. Thats not the only problems, either. The poor things have about ten fish or more in a ten gallon tank, and over fifty poor little Commons in one twenty gallon, not to mention at least one fish dead in every tank. Goldfish were not the only ones suffering, either. They had the same conditions in all of their tropical freshwater and saltwater tanks. The tarving fish were eating the rotting and diseased carcases of their dead friends. I am feeling sick just typing this, and as soon as I found your petition, I was quick to sign it. I love what you are working for and know without a doubt that this stores fish cruelty has to be stopped. Best of luck with your petition!

Archived