New Goldie Owner

Guest Avy

Hi everyone! I just got two goldies yesterday and after reading through your forum a little I have a lot of questions for all of you.

First off, here are some pictures of my goldfish and their tank, they're in a 30 gallon acrylic tank with an eclipse hood.

The tank:

Tank.jpg

Pudge:

Pudge.jpg

PudgeAgain.jpg

Jack:

Jack.jpg

JackAgain.jpg

I think Pudge is a chocolate oranda, and I want to say that Jack is a ryukin, but I'm not sure, any ideas? Also, what do you think of the tank set up? I'd like to add some plants and whatnot, but I have to wait for my next paycheck before I can add to it...

Second, at my LFC, the best food I could find was Nutrafin Max Color Enhancing Floating Pellets. Has anyone used this food? Is it good for my fish and, if not, what should I be looking for? I also have freeze dried blood worms, algae wafers, and frozen peas that I use to supplement the diets of my bettas and otos (three bettas and two otos in a split 12 gallon tank), can I use any of these to spice up my goldies' diets?

Thanks so much for your help, I'm so glad that I found this site! :D

i would say pudge is most likely an oranda but as for jack i am not sure either.

onto the food question i have used nutrafin max floating pellets they are so annoying they are the only food which i know for a fact does not sink at all. they should not be fed as a staple food as they are for colour enhancing purposes and they have very little proper nutrition. you can try looking for either nutrafin max sinking pellets, omega one sinking pellets or you can order some progold off the internet. oh and as to what you use to supplement your betta's diets they can all be fed to goldfish. peas are good if your goldfish become constipated or bloaty

if you are interested into getting some progold here is the website which sells it http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/lis...php?parentId=14

that website is also good for purchasing some meds if your fish becomes sick so you might like to bookmark that site

Edited by rock4life

Firstly can we have information about your filitration

I see ur tank is little bit turbit. And then ı recommend to take off glass in your tank and try to redecored your aquarium with plants rocks. in that way it will see more natural.

thank you

Firstly can we have information about your filitration

I see ur tank is little bit turbit. And then ı recommend to take off glass in your tank and try to redecored your aquarium with plants rocks. in that way it will see more natural.

thank you

Agree with the strong-looking current in there, but as for decoration it's really up to the keeper whether she wants it natural-looking or not. Personally I think it's very unique and have no problems whatsoever.

Btw, Pudge is definitely a Chocolate Oranda, and Jack is handsome-looking Fantail with slight thickening on the head :)

Edited by d_golem

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

Daniel, thanks for the website, the food looks great and they have amazing prices on Prime and a few other things. :)

Wolkcano and d_golem, thanks for the input on my tank, is the strong current really a problem for goldfish? They seem to like it (they'll swim over there, get pushed down a bit by the current, and then do it again.) Also, thanks d_golem for telling me the breeds!

I like your tank decor. It's very unique. Those other foods recommended are really good but I prefer hikari as a staple diet for my orandas. I seem to have better wen growth and more vivid color patterns with that food. It's color enhancing and nutritious. Be fare warned about color enhancers though I've found that if I feed them to black/combo fish or all black fish they tend to turn all orange. That's annoying to me if I buy a black moor or red&black fish. I bought it because it was the color pattern it was in the store not because of what I wanted to change it to.

Thanks again for the great welcome, from what I've seen this is one of the friendliest forums out there. :)

Nabki, thanks for the info on the current, and for the heads up about Jack, glad to know he might keep his black now, rather than be surprised when it happens.

Ryukinluver, thanks for the info on the hikari food. I feed hikari bio-gold to my bettas, and I love it, it would be great to get the same brand for my goldies.

The tank is very pretty!! Your fish look just big enough to get stuck in those vases, so keep an eye on them and remove them if you notice them getting too curious!! Goldies are notorious for getting stuck in places you wouldn't believe! Also, the water might get stagnant inside in the tall vases, so try to swish them out fairly often to keep things fresh. You may give up on the decor after a while of being a goldfish owner - I did! They are just too messy and destructive to keep things so pretty for very long. I've been converted by Daryl to the concept that the fish ARE the decor. :)

Welcome to Koko's!

:D

imtammyo, they're still to small to get stuck in the vases (one of their favorite things to do is swim inside them, look around, and swim back out) but I'll definitively be keeping an eye on them. Thanks for the tip about swishing the water, I'll have to do that.

Ooh, I just thought of another question: how old would you guys guess they are? Both are about three inches long including tail, if that helps any. Thanks!

well i would not know how old they are but my guys are rougly 3 - 4inches and they are under 1 year old but then my guys a shubies not fancy goldfish so yours may be older than a year not sure

darn no edit function i wanted to say ryunkinlover the reason your wens on your orandas are great is because hikari is a food made for improved wen development in fish that grow wens

Edited by rock4life

Very pretty decor AND goldies!! As for the turbulence they will be fine. I have an AQ110 on my 30 gal tank & it REALLY pushes some water thru there!! But there are places for them to get to relax......some. Mine also seem to, at times, "play" in the water flow!!

As for your vases you'll just need to clean them out at every weekly water change. That goes for ANY kind of decor that holds water. Sometimes I have some little bottles that I put in my tanks which I just pour the water down the drain during water changes & have never had a problem. You'll be amazed at how much sediment will gather under the stones in the vases.

Now this may be just me but I no longer buy floating foods. I used to get pellets & flakes but I feel these can add too tendencies towards floating issues in goldfish. Plus goldfish are foragers & really like poking thru the substrate. I feed mainly Mazuri Gel food & chopped up veggies & fruits. IF I use goldfish food I only use sinking crumbles. When I had some pellets I only used them when I soaked some in some tank water & then squeezed them out....they tend to hold air. Same with flakes when I used them I soaked them first & made sure they sank.

Enjoy! And keep the pics coming! We :heart goldie pics!!

Edited by Jeana727

ootcha nice post Jeanna, I agree that goldies are foragers :thud the tank may be redecorated by the fish :D !

And also that sinking food is way better longterm. Those are 2 beautiful fish -congratulations :)