Algae Eater

hello,

(If this post is in the wrong place please forgive me)

My algae eater died a couple weeks ago and it's time to get a new one; I was wondering what I should know about introducing him to the tank?

I have a 20 gallon tank with 3 (small) goldfish. I just tested last night and the tank parameters are great - 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites.

I had the other algae eater for years, no idea what happened to him. :(

Thanks everybody!

I am going to move this to Compatible Fish.... for there are many who are far more experienced than I with fish other than Goldfish.

I do know that a great deal depends on the TYPE of algae eater you would like to get. Common Plecos are NOT recommended for a goldfish tank. They like to feed at night - and will eat all "waste" they find sitting on the bottom of the tank. Goldfish will sit, still, on the bottom of the tank at night when sleeping - and to a common pleco, this means that they are food. A common pleco can kill a large goldfish in one night. Not good.

I think others may have a lot of wonderful suggestions for you, though - from bristlenose on out! :)

I really like my bristlenose pleco - they stay fairly small (4-5" max usually) and are good cleaners (usually). They DO need other food though, don't be fooled by the name "algae eater". They can and will, but they need something else too. I feed mine veggies and he also eats whatever the fish don't eat, including frozen shrimp, bloodworms, pellets, etc. BNs do not have the nasty habit that commons have, which is sucking on the slime coats of other fish. That is number one reason to like them really. :)

If you get a new algae eater, he should be quarantined in a separate tank just like any other addition. Watch him carefully for a few weeks to see if there are any problems. I had a pleco that seemed fine even after QT, but he just never grew and I found him dead one day for no reason. I mean to say that they can get diseases/parasites just like any other fish.

Unfortunately, you don't really have the space for any other fish in your tank. Your goldies will soon need a bigger living space themselves (at least 30 gallons if they are fancies, more if they are single tails). I would suggest holding off on the algae eater and upping your cleaning regimine instead until you can get a bigger tank. If you can't get a bigger tank, then I don't think the algae eater is a good idea. They need 10 gallons each (bristlenose, and they are the smallest adult plecos you can get), which will be a strain on your cycle. I think at the minimum you would need a 40 gallon tank to support your 3 goldies and a pleco. Just a suggestion, but your fish will be happier and healthier for the extra space and cleaner water.

I'm definitately not able to get a bigger tank, and this one has been great with these 3 fish for years now. I don't want to chance ruining that, so can you please tell me more about upping my cleaning regimine? What is the best way to get the algae off the glass? Do I have to clean the water more often?

Thanks!