All-natural Calcium Sand

I was given a bag of All Living Things? All-Natural Calcium Sand, the person that gave it to me had a lizard but had given it away. I was wondering if I could use it as a substrate for my snail tank. It says its natural, untreated, uncolored Calcium Carbonate Sand. An alternative to Silica Sand. Here is a link to it, Calcium sand

If it is OK to use for snails would it also be OK to use for fish if I decide to add a goldfish to the tank?

It would be okay but as a calcium based sand, it would dissolve and raise the pH and KH of your tank water dramatically. Generally you only want to use calcium sand for animals that need a very hard, alkaline water like saltwater, brackish or African cichlids. For snails alone it should be all right though you should acclimate them to the harder water slowly.

What if I put in like a handful or so every month or whenever I see it dissolve? It would help with their shells right? It's OK if I don't use it at all, I was just thinking of what I could do with this stuff. I also have hermit crabs but I don't know how well it will be with the humidity, I don't want it to mold. I have heard about calci sand with crabs and the people that use it usually switch to play sand. I already have sand from the beach that I use for them, so I'm out of ideas. I wish I could just return it but I doubt they will take it back with no receipt.

I had to go out to vvvv yesterday (to bring the dog to the vet) so I thought I would take the chance and try and return it without a receipt and they had no problem with it. I bought what I thought was black gravel with some of the money, it said it was black on the bag and looked black so I got home, rinsed it off and dumped it in the tank (of course I watched out for the fish). Well it's not black, it's grey and it looks horrible mixed in with the black I already had in there. So now I'm in the process of picking out 5 pounds worth of grey gravel. :mad:

If you are looking for a substrate for a snail tank, I have an excellent one for you. It naturllally buffers the water to the right parameters for apple snails, and it is super easy to clean and take care of.

vvvv listing - Aragonite

I use this in my snail tank, it it does a wonderful job. You can find it in any LFS that sells tropical fish supplies.