Woot! Pond Babies!

Guest Yeah its me

Guest Shiollie

I have a 700 gal pond in front, I just got done feeding the big fish and saw a lily flower that was pushed against the rock so I moved it and what do I see... a bunch of little fry looking back at me! They look to be about 5 days old. I am just going to let nature take it course because there is no way I can get them out, and I still have the fry that I brought indoors while still in the eggs.

I just took a closer lookaround where I see the big fish munching at the WH and there are babies so small you can barley see them to newborns still clinging to the sides can you say population explosion??

Oh Dear....

Edited by Shiollie

Guest Fish Breeder!

Congratulations on the babies! I get my goldfish to have eggs, but all of my eggs turn out white :ill . Maybe they werent fertilized? I just dont understand why ALL of my batched turn white!

Guest Shiollie

Fis Breeder, the only thing I can think of is that maybe the male you are using is sterile?

I had to cut down a bunch if picker plants that seem to love the pond area and got real close to the water and just below the surface is about 100 eggs that are in various stages of growth, I can see the eyes and the shape of the spine, I took some pics so maybe you can see them too.

Guest Shiollie

These are the eggs, if you look close you can see the eyes and the spine. There are alot of eggs in various stages, the big ones look like they are about to hatch.

eggs.jpg

This is a pic of a fry that looks like it just stopped clinging.

DSCI0109-2.jpg

And this last one, I am thinking that it may be a minnow fry and older than I thought, It is very dark in color.

I actually thought it to be around 5 days.. but that was when I thought it was a goldie. What do you think?

fiveday.jpg

The camera is a concord 3045 and pics were taken in macro with 4x zoom.

Guest Fish Breeder!

i see little eyes in just a few of my eggs! I can count about 10 that i can see (the rest are beyond plants) I actually can see them moving around (probably trying to get comfortable lol!)

Can the eggs with the babies in them get fungusy? Or are they too far in development to get fungusy?

Also are goldfish fry hardy? Or will many of them die?

What does sterile mean?

Haha im so sorry for asking all these questions i hope you dont mind! Thank you so much for the pictures Shiollie!

Guest Shiollie

Thanks Trinket, the eggs have hatched and the fry are just beginning to swim but they are staying very close to the walls, I tried to count the different hatches by the size of the babies and the best I could come up with was 6 different spawnings.

Take a breather fishies!! :blink: