Sign in to follow this  
fondoo

Gigantic Hole In Head In Oranda

I have a 6 month old Oranda with hole in head disease. I've been treated it with API General Cure powder and Seachem Metronidazole for three weeks without any success. I've also been feeding him Metro-med, but he stopped eating. Is there anything else I can do right now?? I've also attached pictures of the Oranda. Please help.

Youtube video:

dsc01154dz3.th.jpg

dsc01153gd3.th.jpg

Guest beemo

oh so sorry, that does look bad

seeing that is like deja vu to me. i lost 90% of my stock with something that looked similiar to that. turned out it was tuberculosis.

ive had oscars with hole in the head disease and it didnt look like your oranda, but ive never seen a wen with hole in the head disease so i cant really say.

sorry to say but i dont think your fish is going to last very long :(

ive been through way too many of those open sores, and it was always a death sentence.

do you know for 100% that is hole in the head disease? did you get a scraping done??

several things causes those open sores...

HITH disease like you say

fish lice

skin flukes (results of a secondary infection)

septima (spell check)

possibly anchor worms

furnicolosis (spell check)

did you try treating with an antibacterial?

Edited by beemo

i got some bad news.. after work today i added the 2nd batch of salt.

i have a 20gal tank and i broke the salt into 3 batches.

.3% salt

1 TBSP=1 Gal

1st batch= 7 TBSP

2nd batch= 7 TBSP

3rd batch= 7 TBSP

few hours after the 2nd batch, the hole-in-head oranda started lopsiding.

i dont think he'll make it.

warning

youtube:

If it really is HITH hon, he needs an injectible antibiotic immediately. But I don't know if it's HITH for sure, only because they will usually lose their entire wen quite quickly once the deterioration starts...and your baby seems to have one area only that is affected.

Have you talked to a fish vet about him yet? If he is still okay (with us) by tomorrow, I'd find one right away. I'm sorry he is not doing well.

Edited by Lolafish

Fondoo, please post the answers to the questions above so you can get some moderator help, okay?

I hope your fish is still with you, Fondoo?

I am sorry to say that although somewhat rare, HIDH isn't something that can be dealt with easy, and it is fatal if not taken care of fast. And no, salt isn't gonna cut it with this one, no way.

There is really only one treatment, and that is the one that Rick from Goldfishconnection suggests. Shots, together with Metromeds and hydrogen peroxide swabs, is your only chance.

If you have a regular vet that usually treats your other animals, ask him for the Baytril or Amikacin. I needed Amikacin once for one of my fish, and although my vet doesn't "do fish", I convinced him to give me the correct dosage for the treatment, and he even gave me the right sized needles and such. I have Rick's book, and brought it with me to the vet's visit. The vet gave me the amount of meds as discribed in Rick's book, and a friend of mine did the injections.

If its truely HIDH, that is the only way to go, and from the looks of it, it does pretty much sound like it. If you have PP (Potassium Permanganate), you also can make a small solution mixed with water and swab the hole with it. But it can't be the only medicine you are using - the shots are the main thing here, combined with the Metromed.

There gotta be a fish vet in NY! Check out the vet listings in the diagnosis area, maybe you get lucky. Or the yellow pages.

Guest beemo

i kinda dont think its HITH either..it just doesnt look like it to me

open sores like that are usually from flukes gone wild, other parasites sucking the life out of them, TB, bacterial infections from parasites, bacteria in the water etc.

try a good antibacterial. ive used binox before for open sores that did the trick, but the sores did come back and the fish died anyway...but that was in my fishes case...they are all different

i hope he makes it :(

How is the fish doing?