My Goldfish Have Ich

I have 3 goldfish in a 55 gallon tank. I have no water problems:ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5. It is a mature tank. The only explanation for the ich is when I forgot to plug in my filter after cleaning tank, it was like this for at least 12 hrs. The fish were at the bottom of the tank and I knew something was wrong, then I realized about the filter still unplugged. They were very stressed for some time. A couple days later, noticed my black moore not swimming right, looked like swim bladder. Then yesterday was looking at them and seen white spots and knew right away it was ich. I ran out and bought some quick cure. Now I have a 55 gallon, I am in canada so not us gallons. Took out carbon inside of filter. I had just changed water so I didn't do another before meds. I put in 30 drops knowing that us gallons is larger than in canada aquariums. The instruction on the bottle was 1 drop per us gallon. I think a 55 gallon in canada is a 65-70 us gallons. They have an air pump in the tank and I put a heater in there and have been slowly raising the temp of tank. It is now at 82, and I put it up a touch, trying to get it up to 85, that is what i read that it speeds up the ich cycle. I know to continue treatment for 4 days after ich is gone to make sure they are gone out of tank.

Do I do any water changes when treating tank, or do i do that after treatment is done???

How long should it take to get rid of the ich with meds and increased temp??

Am I giving enough meds or too much for the size of tank??

Am I right when I say 4 days longer after ich is gone, or should I treat tank longer than that???

After ich is gone will I have to change the air stone, clean out filter (hang on filter), if so is there anything else I have to make sure I clean so ich doesn't return???

Hello Love G,

I'm so sorry no one is around or answering you.

I'm afraid I am not familiar with Quick Cure and only know the salt cure. Is a Canadian Gal the same volume as UK? My converter only offers UK or US doesn't mention Canada.

Somehow there is very little help at the moment which is very upsetting when you have a problem. Can you try PM ing someone you have seen give good help before?

Hey there! Let's see if we can help out your fish. I have a quick question for you first though, you said you have a 55 gallon in candian gallons which are smaller than US gallons? but then you said you think the tank is about 65 or 75 gallon in US? I am a bit confused about that. Knowing the deminsions of your tank would help out a lot, then someone that is a lot better at math than I can give you the exact gallons of your tank which will help out in any type of ich treatment you start or any future treatments you might need. i just used a converter on google and came up with a 66 US gallon tank is a 55 gallon candian tank so I guess Canadian gallons are larger? But I would measure it and see if someone could tell you for sure I would hate for you to be under or over treating your tank.

I have never used Quick Cure but I was doing some reading on the forum and it said that you should do thirthy percent water changes a day and make sure you leave the light off as it will deactivate it. Also as is the case with any ich treatment make sure you vaccuum the heck out of the gravel because the ich will come back if you don't get rid of all of it. You should check out the thread by Ranchugirl in the treatment section hopefully that will answer your questions better than I can. Good luck with your fish! I hope they get better soon! Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along! :)

Edited by Maceo

My tank is 4 ft long 18.5 in tall and 1 ft wide. So how many us gallons is that so I know whenever I have meds that has it in us gallons I will know how much to put in.

I have put meds in there for the third day, I will put off the lights and do a 30% water change today and do a good vaccuum of river rocks, or should I do more since I haven't done any since I started meds. When should I do the water change, I already put today's meds in the water. If I do a water change should I put more meds in there or leave it until tomorrow.

The fish are looking better, the white spots have gone away quite alot, so this is the crucial time for the treatement since the bugs or whatever they are called are in the water now.

Edited by love goldfish

calculated 55 imperial gallons is 66 us gallons. Now I am confused of how to figure out how much meds to put in. Like I said before I have been putting in 30 drops. They say put 1 drop per US gallon. Now how do you figure that out since the us gallons are larger than my 55 gallon aquarium. :blink:

I ran into something saying

1 U.S. Gallon = 0.83267 Canadian (Imperial) Gallons

1 Canadian Gallon = 1.201 U.S. Gallons

so now what, I don't know how to figure that out

Edited by love goldfish

Well I did a 40% water change before feeding the fish and putting in meds. I looked at them and the spots are gone and they are looking better. :) My blackmoore was the one that was having hard time swimming properly, it was looking like swim bladder, but now I know it was from the ich, she is swimming alot better now. Not back to normal yet, but should be soon. I will continue the meds for at least 4-5 days and hopefully that will kill off any ich in the tank. Quick Cure is very good, I will not use anything else next time there is ich in any of my tanks, just wish I could figure out how much meds for my tanks since they are imperial gallons and not us gallons as it says on instruction on the bottle. Hope someone can help me to figure this out so I know if I need to use Quick Cure on one of my other tanks.

so a 55 us gallon tank is a 45 imperial tank meaning i would put 45 drops??? Is that right. No I am trying to get to us gallons. Hmmmmmm. I am not good at this kind of math. I am soooooooo confused.

Somebody help please

Edited by love goldfish

so a 55 us gallon tank is a 45 imperial tank meaning i would put 45 drops??? Is that right. No I am trying to get to us gallons. Hmmmmmm. I am not good at this kind of math. I am soooooooo confused.

Somebody help please

You said your medicine bottle said to use US gallons, so then 55 would be the correct dosage, assuming you calculated your volume correctly.

I'm sure you're figuring it correctly. Don't worry. :)

Well, I'm not sure how you're doing your calcs so........let's start again.

As your medicine treats in US measures you need to calculate your tank capacity in US Gals. Forget the imperial value as it's not needed here.

A tank measuring 48" x 18.5" x 12" = 46 US Gals.

So you use 46 drops, right? :rolleyes:

Ok i was right, i put in 45 drops of meds in this morning. Thank you for the help. I know now how to figure it out. Just wanting to make sure that the right amount of meds going in, important not to use to much. But the 30 drops i have been putting in helped the fish thankfully. And I have been leaving the light off, just on in the morning to check out how the fish are doing.

woah thats confusing, I didnt know there was such a thing as canadian gallons, I live in canada, not sure where the tanks were made, but does that mean they're not measured in US gallons?

Well, the first thing is to estimate your tank capacity by using the link a few posts back; you can decide whether you need the answer in US or UK (Imperial) Gals. Or you can just use litres.

Once you know the exact capacity of your tank/s you can decide which system you want to use depending on where the medicine is from.

For the purposes of estimating space p/fish I usually go US just because 10 gals is easier than 8.?????