Giant Goldfish!

Shamu23

Guest beemo

thats really sweet that you rescued them :)

i hate critters in classrooms, they always get abused in some way :(

so all you have is one tetra and an algae eater? is it a pleco or a chinese algae eater??

tetras should be more active than that. it could be that the algae eater is harrassing him at night or it could be that you just need more tetras.

usually they shouldnt be kept less than a school of 6

I have 3 tetras in there, I think its a chinese algae eater, the school tank was a tiny 5 gallon hex aquarium, way too small for the algae eater, thats why I asked if I could take them. They're in a large rubbermaid, eventhough I only have 12 gallons in there because the filter is only for 5 gallons.

My main goldfish tank has 2 lionheads, the smaller one is 10" including tail, and the bigger one is 12". I also have a oranda about 14" including tail and a shrimpy oranda about 6".. he just doesn't grow :( .

I probably over feed them.. but I give them plenty of space in my 72gallon tank and lots of filtration and I'm pretty good with water changes. When we are at the pet store my girlfriend always says "these are jumbo goldfish? but they are so small!"

Its genetics for sure.. but taking good care of them with a decent amount of space and good filtration, water changes and good food goldfish can get a lot bigger than the goldfish you see at the store.

My oldest goldfish is a small ryukin who is seriously stunted.. she is 6" but lived in somewhat crummy conditions when growing up. I think good conditions in the first year make a massive difference.. its just hard seeing a huge aquarium with like 2-3 fish in them... so you don't see them often.

Just putting in my 2 cents.. :)

Archived