Giant Goldfish!

Well, I was at a really big petstore yesterday. They do sell bowls and stuff, but they have these few really big tanks that they put big fish in to educate people how big some of these fish really get. Well yesterday they had 3 goldfish in the "pond tank". 2 black moors and 1 red and white ryukin. These guys were the biggest goldfish I've ever seen, I couldnt even imagine 1 of those in my tank. Including their tail they were about 12 inches long! Is it normal for them to get this big? I do want mine to get big but not huge like those, they'll all be cramped in the 46 gallon tank. They also have other tanks to show how big stingrays and some chichlids get, but those goldfish amazed me.

It isnot all that uncommon for them to reach those sizes..... I would have a hard time putting some of my fish in a 20 gallon tank - they simply do not fit! :)

Wow, will my 2 orandas in a 29 gallon and 4 fishies in a 46 gallon tank grow that big? Arent those tanks a bit too small for them to grow to those sizes? I read that they get 6 inches not 12.

I have a 55 gallon and have 3 5 inch goldfish in there and I might be pushing it if I put another in there. They need enough room to swim, that is why you put a few real or fake plants and gravel and not much else in the tank, the less ornaments in the tank the better. I think there should only be 2 in your 46 gallon. I think your 29 is ok orandas don't get long they get bulky. So you will have to get a 55 gallon for your other 3 or put one in a 20 gallon. Or if you can't get another tank maybe see if someone will take one from you.

There is a whole, big picture to a fish's size - and it is more than just the size of their current tank. Everything plays a role: what environment they were in after they hatched, and what they have been fed as fry, plus their genes, amounts and frequency of water changes, quality of food, and current tank size.

Actually, I heard from several breeders that it is most important to their future quality of life that they get an excellent diet as fry - frequent higher protein meals, as well as good water. Genes of course are a major part too - you can't expect to get a giant fish from smaller parents. You might be taking care perfectly of your fish, with lots of space (talking at least 20 gl per fish here, if you want to raise a giant), and the fish could have some negative effects from something that happened before you got him.

I have a 55 gallon and have 3 5 inch goldfish in there and I might be pushing it if I put another in there. They need enough room to swim, that is why you put a few real or fake plants and gravel and not much else in the tank, the less ornaments in the tank the better. I think there should only be 2 in your 46 gallon. I think your 29 is ok orandas don't get long they get bulky. So you will have to get a 55 gallon for your other 3 or put one in a 20 gallon. Or if you can't get another tank maybe see if someone will take one from you.

I have 4 in my 55 gallon, and never plan on getting more for this tank because I want them to have lots of room to swim. Lola is a year and a half, and not very big, but I expect the rest to get much bigger than her. My LFS has several big goldies in a tank there (not sure of the size, but probably close to 75 gallons), and I love just going and watching them..helps me to think about what mine will look like in the next year or so! :heart

I have 3 in my 46 gallon and 1 new one in qt, I've been following the 10 gallons per twin tailed fishies rule though. They're all Wally world fishies, so I dont really expect them to grow huge, and I hope they dont cause I dont wanna get rid any, and I want them to have space, they're all small now and not exactly growing that fast either, even though I feed them top quality foods.

Guest Angel

I have 3 in my 55, they're big, Auron being the biggest of the "bigfats" (my term of endearment, I'm happy they're big). I had 5 until 2 came down with SBD and went to quarantine with another SBD guy. Anyway, I have refrained from getting another fish because of their size, they'd scare a little one, and they just seem so happy with the space, I'd hate to rock the boat.

Guest beemo

no orandas wont reach 12"

6-8 is more like it

moores, lionheads, ranchus all get around 6" typically, 8" is possible

goldfish (fancy) stock is so poor these days, most dont make it past their first birthday

My 6yo Telescope was a good 8-10" long (including tail) when he passed away. He started out life sharing a 3g bowl with a Siamese Doll and was in that for a year. I'm sure that situation stunted him and it's possible he would have grown a bit larger than he actually did.

Lisa

But those fish were fancy goldfish, not commons, 2 blackmoors and 1 Ryukin, they were all at least 12 inches long, but they do always get the biggest fish they can possibly find for those tanks, they dont sell them either, they're just for display and they get different ones in the pond tank every week or so, last time they had a huge koi. I really dont expect my little guys to grow that big, they're all fancy goldfish, so they should normally stay smaller than 8 inches right?

But those fish were fancy goldfish, not commons

My telescope was a fancy and, if not for the fact that he passed away relatively young and was stunted his first year, I truly believe he could have reached the 12" status.

Does anyone have a link to Bruce? :D

I really dont expect my little guys to grow that big, they're all fancy goldfish, so they should normally stay smaller than 8 inches right?

Depending on genetics/breed, it's quite possible they can go beyond 8 inches. Especially if they are given the proper, healthy environment in which to live and grow.

While I understand your desrire to not have them grow to a size you can't accommodate, I really advise against wanting them to stay small and perhaps 'stunted'. That's not good for them.

Besides, it takes years for them to reach that size, so things may change in that time for you and you'll actually find great joy and pride in your 'large' gf.

Lisa

I didnt say I wanted them stunted, I cant wait till they grow big, I just didnt want them to become huge, cause then they wouldnt have enough space

Guest beemo

bruce was on steroids, he didnt get that way naturally

when fish are measured they are measured without the tail. its body length that is measured. some fish have long fins some have short

older fish have longer fins than juvenile fish. ranchus have shorter tails than ryukins etc.

this is why you go by body length not tail

if your moore was 12" most likely he was 8" of body with 4" of tail

tail is not mass, its like a human with long hair :P

in their first year most fancies will reach 4"

if things are right they can be full grown in 2 years

Edited by beemo

bruce was on steroids, he didnt get that way naturally

Yeah, I know. That was asked tongue-in-cheek. :D

tail is not mass, its like a human with long hair

I'm in total agreement there. It's often a question as to whether the lengths given include tail or not. I remember a post on here a while back that asked about that. Some believe tail length should be included, some don't. I'm in the camp that doesn't as I agree with you - the tail is an attribute. Like my hair is. If I included my hair in how tall I am, I'd be an Amazon! (And I'm a measly 5'4")

Lisa

Guest beemo

hehe

and like my poor ranchu with the skimpy tail. sure hes about 5" in body but compared to his friend, a 3" oranda with a long flowing tail, well he just looks smaller next to him :P

dang now im in the mood for a new goldy :D

I didnt say I wanted them stunted, I cant wait till they grow big, I just didnt want them to become huge, cause then they wouldnt have enough space

My apologies if my post implied that I thought you 'wanted' them stunted. Bad wording on my part!

I agree that if they become huge and you don't have the space, that's will be a problem and I commend you for thinking about that in a proactive way.

However, if they do grow 'huge', it would certainly take a while and by then, who knows what you would be able to provide them in the way of space? I truly don't think you need to worry overly much about it right now, but it's heartening to hear that your concerned about it. That's a sign of good gf keeper! :exactly

Lisa

Guest beemo
dang now im in the mood for a new goldy

Ummmm, when are we gf-addicts NOT? :D

Lisa

ahh went into vvvv they just got in a large red oranda with an enormous wen! 27.99, hubby made a face so i didnt ask lol

maybe later i'll spring it on him :P

ooo yes back to fancy goldfish size...also their mass should be taken into consideration. these fish put out a massive amount of girth, which is why they need so much space. what adds to their waist line also adds to the poop line..they can easily poison themselves by their own waste in a small tank.

you can take a slim 6" fish but it in no way compares to a round 6" fish

one full grown goldy is equal to about 12 tetras..hehe okee its my own theory but you get the point :D

oh thanks Lisa, I do care about the little guys alot. If I ever convince my parents to build me a koi/goldfish pond, I could put 1 in there in emergency. I dont think they would grow huge in the limited space, those fish were probably raised in a pond. Their tail was probably 6 inches long, and 8 or 9 inches for their body. I known that most tropical fish here are measured with their tail, so I dont know about goldies, those were way bigger than most adult goldfish that i've seen though, they were usually 6 or 8 inches including their tail.

oh I wouldnt compare goldies to tetras, me and my brother both have tetras and those guys are poop machines, their tanks look way dirtier than the goldie tanks lol :D

I dont overfeed, eventhough my brother does :D I feed them the same amount as my other fishies, wow u should see that tank, It has sand on the bottom so u can see all the fishie poop every where lol, I really gotta clean that thing, 2 of the fish are really small too, and they never even eat all their food, the algae eater cleans up the rest.

Guest beemo

if they dont finish the food then they are being overfed

i have a sand bottom too in my community tank, it stays clean and poop free.

the trick is to have enough current in the tank so it all gets sucked up by the filter instead of just laying on the sand

one flake per tetra is all thats needed..once a day

I dont even feed them that much though, they dont eat the food that they dont see, they like to hide and only eat a few pieces that come by, the algae eater eats the rest, and he deserves some too, I dont overfeed them, if I fed them less they'd probably starve, for some reason they only eat the food that goes right by them, I put a tiny bit in each fish's territory, cause they never leave their little area, anything that drifts away doesnt get eaten, until the algae eater finds it. The big black skirt tetra barely eats anything, he's really shy, thats cause he's from our school aquarium where little kids would always tap on the glass.

The filter is too small for the tank (its the best I could do, I rescued 2 of the fish (a tetra and the algae eater) from the school tank, 1 more week in that tank and they probably would have been dead. Even though I was taking care of them, i could always do waterchanges, cause of schoolwork :D

*couldnt do waterchanges, sorry lol