Considering A Dwarf Puffer

i am considering buying a dwarf puffer, i saw them at the local pet shop and they are so cute, the ones thye have look like a little jelly belly jelly bean(pear flaovred) all lime green with little brown dots. any advice and tips i need to know about? tank size set up, that sort of thing, the guy at the pet shop says they eat snails, and i have them in abundance i thought that this fish would be ideal to keep the population of Garyville down to a minimum.( i call all my snails Gary after spongbobs snail pet)

They can (and should) be kept in purely freshwater, unlike most other puffers. Temp around 80, neutral pH. They only grow to an inch, but are very messy eaters, so plan on 3 gallons each for stocking. From what I understand they can also be a little agressive, so a species only tank is reccomended. Also, if you get more than one, try and get only one male to 1-3 females. Feeding should consist of live or frozen foods, they really don't take to flakes. They'll eat snails as well.

They are beautiful looking fish though, aren't they?

Guest im-trying

hi, there are two types of dwarf puffers commonly available

http://www.pufferlist.com/puffer/freshpuff.php?puffid=3 i think its this one you have seen

http://www.pufferlist.com/puffer/freshpuff.php?puffid=4

With both puffers a tank of around 15 gallons is ideal becaue it is easier to keep the cycle level with bigger tanks though the first puffers can be kept in as small as 5 gallon. They dont play well with others so tank mates are a no no but i have heard a few people have sucsess with ottos with the dwarfs. Even bigger tank mates stand a threat from them as puffer fish have beaks and they can hurt a lot when bitten ive heard reports of them biting people and drawing blood lol!

Their tank needs to be well planted to hide them from each other as they can fight among them selves. The guy at the LFS was right they need snails in their diet regularly it might be a good idea to put snails in the tank before you get the puffers to establish a colony the puffers to eat, the reason for the snails is because they need to keep their beaks blunted a little otherwise you have to do puffer dentestry, i have found an article on it but it dsnt look easy really.

From what Ive read the recomended stocking is 1 male to multiple females, the top ones need around 3 gallons of teritory each and the lower are about the same but some more agressive ones need up to 5 gallons when adult.

The above links are from a great website and they can tell you everything really.

*Justin posted just before me while i was typing* glad we both agree at least lol

Edited by im-trying

thank you so much! i was only planning on getting one, is it better to keep them in groups? i will check out the links as soon as im done typing this:D

the one up on the banner for the site is the kind ive seen, but i got to looking and they are all so cute, i think its their little faces.

Edited by Hobbity1

these can be aggressive little things. i had three at one stage, but the males decided to eat each other. As justin said, despite their size, they do need a lot of room.

Just from my own observations, they seem to enjoy planted tank :)

they also tend to be pretty fussy about what they will eat. mine would only eat live food which meant having a constant supply of daphnia.

Despite their needs, they are very rewarding little fish :D

aww! its so cute! its smiling at me.

i leave for ohio for my husbands family reunion on wednesday mornign and i plan to save up after i get home to get a new aquarium, i will probobly get a minibow if i cant find a decent plain 5 gallon tank. thanks you guys for all your help.

Guest Kilope

Wow, those are incredibly adorable. o_o;; It's a shame their aggressive though, otherwise I may have put one in with my guppies once my tank is done cycling.

Simply, adorable. I wish you the best of luck and a lot of happiness. :)

I kept them in my 30 gallon for years. Even with that much space they were very aggressive and I definitely also recommend keeping them in a species-specific tank. Live snails are excellent for them, but also work on getting them to take frozen food like bloodworms and mysis shrimp.

I wouldn't recommend trying to keep more than one in anything less than a 10 gallon. And they do seem to be social fish so they would do better with company.