What Kind Of Snails Do I Have And Other Quandries.

i had my friend give me some snails, they are small, i think they are just common pond snails, there are 3 different kinds as far as i can tell, some are shapped like a cone or spike, some liek a regular snail you find on the ground, spirally shells, like a cinnabun, and the others are shaped like a tiny conch shell.

some have their own tank and a few are in my big tank with my goldie, they seem happy and all, and i love to watch them, but im courious as to what kind they are and what if anythign else i need to do to keep them happy.

i feed them algee pellets, but im at a loss as to how often i need to feed them, so i feed them maybe 3 times a week, every other day or so. they like live plants too, so i feed them some of them when i get them from my friend and they love it.

i love to watch the tiny babies grow and flourish, and i was confused when i read on here that they are considered pests. any information would be helpful to me.

oh, and since i cant tell the boys from the girls i named them all gary after spongebobs pet.

well im not at home right now but google had lots of images that helped so here goes...

i have some of these...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/invisigoth_/sdfa.jpg

and some of these...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/inv...oth_/snails.jpg

and ive noticed one that looks like this...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/invisigoth_/vbnc.jpg

this one is the only one i can tell from his brothers and sisters, lol.

Milaysian Trumpet Snails are the long cone looking ones

Pond Snails are the conch looking ones - those breed insanely fast and don't need a mate, so you will have trouble keeping your populations down!

Ramshorns (Planorbids) are the last photo

As for how often to feed, I just drop in some softened veggies a few times a week, plus they get whatever leftovers the fish don't eat. The ramshorns I have like algae too, so they eat that in between my feedings.

You should try to feed veggies that are high in calcium (think dark leafy veggies, like kale and broccoli) and mine really like squash like zuchinni and summer squash, which are easy to prepare and cheap to buy. You can also look into calcium supplements for your water, which will help them maintain good healthy shells. They can't eat just algae wafers, so definitely start feeding some veggies (I leave it in there until it gets gross, but it's usually gone by then!) and they will also eat fish food, whatever you have is fine.

They are considered pest snails -especially the pond snails because of their hermaphroditic breeding. I would personally try to get rid of those ones now before you have a population explosion, which can overwhelm your cycle.

oh, they have their own aquarium to live in, so im not worried about population just yet, i plan on getting a dwarf puffer to keep the population down some once i get back home from ohio.

tried the veggies and fish food, they loved it, greedy lil things all clumped up on it so i broke it up and put little pieces in each corner so everyone had a chance.

Yeah, it is a myth that snails can live on algae alone. They actually will not touch it unless they are to the point of starvation. I feed my apple snails some of my progold about two or three times a week. They need high calcium levels in the water, and you can help them get more calcium by adding a cuttlebone (in the bird supplies of your LPS) for them the chow on. You can also put bits in the filter, it will dissolve slowly and release calcium into the water.