Oh No!

Two nights ago I was watching Dyson crawling up the glass. Once he reached the waterline, he stopped, then fell to the bottom. He appeared to be fine so I thought nothing of it. Last night, I noticed he has a crack in his shell. An hour later, there is a hole next to the crack. He was moving around the tank like normal. (I found the tiny piece of shell that broke off.) This morning, I see a bit of his body (?) poking thru the shell. :yikes He appears to move and act like normal.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/Crit...holeinDyson.jpg

You can see the hole appearing as a dark spot in the pic, right next to the spiral part.

Will he be alright? I am so worried. I will check water params and post back.

I can't really see the hole you're talking about very well. Can you take Dyson out of the tank for a quick photo? Can you tell if the edges are starting to regrow over the hole or not? It should look like thin almost clear shell growing back around the edges? Do you have calcium supplements? If so, you should add some.

Is his body sticking up into the hole? Is he acting normal/eating? Do you have some dark leafy greens you can make for him so he can get some extra calcium in his system?

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/CritterKeepr/hole2.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/CritterKeepr/hole1.jpg

These are the best pics I could get of it. Can you see it better? I can't tell is there is any regrowth, maybe too early to tell? I have Kent Liquid Calcium that I add to the tank daily- 1 drop per gallon. (10 gallons total.) When I took him out of the tank, I got a better look at the hole, and it looks like the tiny piece of flesh receded back into the shell. When you look at the top of his shell, it almost looks like his body is pulled away from the shell. Does this make sense? I know that his color comes from his body, not his shell. So the part of his shell near the opening is pale, more translucent. You can't really tell in the pic.

He is moving around normally, but I have not seen him eating. I put squash in last night, but don't think he touched it. I have romaine lettuce, so I will boil a piece and stick it in the tank. I am praying that he heals.

:) I am pleased to report that Dyson's shell is repairing itself! As soon as I got home today, I ran in and took him out of the tank to see. The new shell growth is growing in translucent, almost didn't see it at first. About 3/4 of the hole is covered! I am so happy! :heart He is acting just fine. I fed boiled romaine lettuce last night, and by this morning, most of it was gone.

Pics of his new tankmate to come...... :D