Omg Almost Killed My Fish

Earlier today I changed the water in all my tanks. In my goldfish tank, 55 gallon, I unplugged my filter since it wasn't pumping water out properly because of me taking out water. I went to a late movie, got home 30 min ago. Went to put out the fish lights and fish are at the bottom of the tank. I FORGOT TO PLUG IN THE FILTER WHEN FINISHED WITH CHANGING WATER. :krazy: They went about 12 hrs without any filtration or air. :ill They were not feeling so well. I immediately go get my spare air pump out, after plugging in the filter, and hooked it up. That woke them up, they are swimming around fine. :happydance

wow that is close you will have to look out and make sure that they are alright some may still bottom sit or some may be in shock. you might get a bump in your cycle so you will have to watch that as well.

well it is goo your fish are fine now :)

I hope my cycle is fine. I just put off the light on the tank, wanted to keep an eye on them. They are doing fine, if I would have gone away for the night I don't want to think what would have happened. It is way past my bedtime 2 am here.

EVERYONE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PLUGGED THE FILTER BACK IN WHEN YOU HAVE TO UNPLUG IT.

I am really glad that you caught that in time...I know how much a heart breaker it would have been to lose one...I lost soo many fish last summer(most of my fry) do to constant power outages that cause all my tanks to get out of balance and made it so hard to keep my tanks params steady.

I woke up and the 3 goldfish in the tank are fine. They ate this morning, so thankfully everything is ok. Just have to keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels incase the cycle was messed up, if so I will be doing water changes daily to keep those down. I have a python so it won't be so hard to do that.

I did that once - totally forgot to plug the filter back in. I noticed it a few hours later, so the fish were okay. My cycle took a hard bump, though.

Worse was when my hospital tank filter got accidently unplugged. Twice. It's in a spare room that the kids use to access the computer when they come over. Apparently, the wheeled desk chair caught the cord and yanked it out those two times. The first time it was off for almost a whole day before I noticed it. I went into serious frantic mode. :krazy:

Now, I make it a habit to check the filters on all my tanks several times a day. 3x's bitten, a million times shy!

Glad to hear your fish appear to be doing well!

Lisa

With the cycle, should i see ammonia start in the tank, and how long. It is a 55 gallon tank with 3 5 inch goldfish in it. Don't want to have to check ammonia everyday, don't think there will be ammonia in the by tomorrow. Will it be doing a whole new cycle??? If so I will have to do water changes every day until ammonia is gone.

Archived