Symptoms Of Gill Flukes?

Oh no! :cry1

That was sudden.

As prazi doesn't harm the cycle, would it be prudent to run it, as a preventative?

I'm not sure if the others would agree?

The only thing that makes me wonder about the gill disease is that the inside was meaty-looking, not pale. You guys are more experienced than me so I'm not meaning to disagree - just wondering.

- this was so sudden I'd just hate the fish to wipe out, too.

:heart

Edited by Pixiefish

Pixie, I'm no expert either but I just got this from my fish medicine bible: "The gills of fish that have died from bacterial gill disease are red with patches of rotten tissue" I'm thinking that's another difference with a fluke infestation where the gills will be pale. I wonder if Erin saw any peeling of skin on the gills?

Im sorry about Jelly, Erin. :(

With my own fish that had gill flukes the main symptoms was excessive air gulping, mainly after meals and a lot of split fins. When they were quite heavily affected they were lethargic and clamped with a moderate amount of bottom sitting. No flashing or flicking and gill colour was actually healthy.

When a fish has flukes and you add prazi you will see a very definite reaction, lots of gill fluffing (like they are 'choking') and the like. For fish that don't have flukes, when I have added prazi there is zero reaction.

Good website:

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/disease/flukes.htm

That's a good informative site Yazoo. When your fish had flukes did you scope? If Erin could scope the gills to see if there are more than 2 flukes there she would know wether it's necessary to medicate her other fish. The article does say flashing is the first symptom of flukes and I personally wouldn't want to medicate a fish for flukes where there is no flashing or scoping ID.

Thanks for all the comments guys. As far as Chiclet is concerned, still acting fine and begging me for food right now! As you may or may not remember he had a couple cases of popeye not too long ago. This is long gone and he is acting great. I wonder if it would be smart just to try the Prazi. It cant hurt can it? Does anyone know where I can buy some?

Hey Erin, I've just been thinking.

Were they both new or just Jelly? Because, if you look at Toothy's thread on QT proceedure he says to raise salt to 0.3%, run prazi first, then treat for big nasties (lice/anchor etc) and bacterial disorders only if you see signs. Prazi doesn't harm the cycle - would you only need the small size? I'm just wondering if that would be worth considering now just as a safety measure for the oranda (sorry - can't remember the name)?

Edited by Pixiefish

Hi Pixie,

Jelly was the only new one. I only had the ranchu in there because I only have one QT and he had popeye. I had the salt up to 0.2% with PC. I think I may raise the salt to 0.3% now and just watch and see how Chiclet fares. He still seems fine.

Besides Jelly dying, Chiclet is fine. I was forced to move him back with the others because I have a fish with dropsy in the QT now. I am not having very good luck at the moment. :( This can be moved from 911 though. Thanks Laurie!

Erin, I am sorry that your fishie didn't make it... :(

I would definetely getting the Prazi, especially if you buy new fish quite often (cough, cough, I think I am looking in a mirror right about now... :rolleyes: ) because you really should be making Prazi part of your quarantine routine, like Paul suggested in the quarantine thread. It is such a great medication, and well worth every penny of it. You can call Rick Hess from Goldfishconnection and see if his Prazi is a bit cheaper. I think he has two different varieties of it.

I am sorry that you lost Jelly.... I know I am a bit late, here, but I did want to chime in a bit with just an observation....

Gill Flukes and Body Flukes, do, most often, go hand in hand. If you see one, you most likely have the other, too. The gill flukes are far more damaging to the fish - and can cause all the symptoms you were describing.

A fish can carry quite a load of flukes with no outward signs. Then, when some stressor happens in the fish's life, the flukes can finally be seen as they cause multiple symptoms to be seen. A new home and tank could possibly be enough of a stressor to cause this reaction.

When a fish has flukes, the parasites will open up the skin/gills to many other infections. It is rare to see an "active" case of flukes that does not have a bacterial infection accompanying it. In small fish, this bacterial infection can be quickly devastating. Internal infections as well as frayed fins, fin rot, red body sores, or just rampant, run-away bacterial septesemia can be precipitated by flukes - and kill a fish.

IT is often important that when treating for parasites, you treat for bacterial infections at the same time. Also, if you identify flukes as part of an active problem, treatment for bacteria is usually warrented.

I would see if you could scrape any flukes from Chicklet. If so, treat. He may well be hearty and strong enough that he can be carrying a large load of parasites and still not show any outward symptoms. If a stressor of any nature comes along, though, the flukes could cause far more devastating effects....

Prazi is a GREAT medication. Well worth every penny. It has a shelf life of years and years and years - does not effect the filter and will zap even the most resistant flukes on a fish, given enough treatments. I have people that regularly dose their ponds with PRazi - once every month on the first - to keep flukes under control - with no consequences other than to keep the flukes down to a controlable "roar". I like to identify and erradicate - treating until a fish scrapes clean.

Thank you Carol for the informative read! Unfortunetely Ive lost Chiclet too. :cry1 He was murdered by my pleco after getting caught in a hidey log.

After I move I may invest in some Prazi, sounds like a good thing to have on hand. :)

Guest Shiollie

I was just trying to research about my little ones and came across this post.

I just want to say how sorry I am for your losses.....R.I.P Chiclet and Jelly