Symptoms Of Gill Flukes?

Hi guys,

I was wondering how you pinpoint gill flukes without a microscope? I have a new fish that seems to gasp for air even though I just added a strong airstone to the tank. Water params in QT are good. He underwent a round of PC and salt. I just added another PC tablet tonight(the other dosage is out of the tank now). There is another fish in with him who seems fine, for now.

Hey Glitter

have you seen any flashing? Is the respiration rate faster than normal? Do the gills appear gaping or inflamed?

These are the indications as far as I know.

Hopefully someone senior will jump in soon.

Hi Pixie!

I have not seen any flashing but the respiration is definitely higher than normal. His gill "flaps" are kinda out but I dont think they look inflamed. Looking from the side the insides appear dark pink.

Erin, from what I've heard gill flukes without body flukes is extremely rare. With flukes there would surely be flashing. Bacterial gill disease on the other hand you'll see discoloration, white patches or streaks on the gill flap and breathing difficulty. Are there any other symptoms? Do you have plenty of dissolved oxygen in the tank, esp bubbles at the surface- I imagine you do- but if there are respitary probs he may need more than usual.

Guest Lranchu

Hi

I think he is just hungry. Feed him a little more and see if he stops gasping. As mines always gasp when hungry. But once he gets full, back to normal.

Thats the weird thing, he doesnt appear to be sick, physically he looks perfect. I have a very strong airstone in there so there is tons of air.

Lranchu, he won't eat, no matter how much I put into the tank so I dont think hunger is the problem.

Yeah Im pretty stumped. Ive only had him a couple of weeks and he was totally fine until after I came home from Niagara Falls. He was floating upside down and couldnt right himself. Now he swims upright but the gasping... Ill get a video of it if that would help?

Also, we were only gone ONE full day.

Edited by glitterfish

You didn't mention the floating upside down before, which would make a difference. That, along with the gasping could point more to bacterial infection.

But having said that - although he is breathing faster than the oranda, he doesn't look to me to be gasping and he's swimming OK.

What do the others think?

Out of interest, what happened when you found him upside down? How long did it take for him to regain balance?

Now he is upside down. :( He would take a long time to right himself. He has been upside down now for a good 1/2 hour.

Fred, they appear to be dark pink. I could try a Maracyn treatment.

Edited by glitterfish

Wow, he definetely looks like he is in distress, Erin - that belongs into the 911 section. I'll put it there for you.

I also think in the direction of either bacterial gill problems or flukes. His breathing would be a good indicator. Kind of our lungs, if they are damaged by gill flukes, he isn't able to get oxygen in as much as he usually would, hence him breathing harder, trying to compensate for that. And if you think of us humans being deprived of the necessary amount of oxygen, or brain gets deprived, and we kind of act funky. That could the be reason for him floating the way he does - he simply doesn't know where up and down is. He doesn't look to me like he is even trying to right himself.

How many days of PC have you had so far? Did you do a waterchange between the first and second dosage? If you did, you might have taken out too much of the meds, and not put enough back in. PC would take care of the flukes, but if the infestation is heavy, you might need a stronger dosage of the ingredient Praziquantel.

Andrea, The first time I did do a waterchange between the first and 2nd dosages like it said on the package. This time I put one tablet in and ran out so I ordered more and they should be here soon. Where can I get the med you speak of? How do I know if its flukes or a infection? :hmm

Ranchugirl - I'm really interested in how you would differenciate between the bacterial gill infection/flukes that you suspect, and an internal bacterial infection affecting the SB.

Are there differences in the symptoms which would rule out one in favour of the other?

Glitter - hope the fish gets better soon. I was so surprised to see the upside down picture after the earlier one where the swimming seemed just fine.

Thanks Daniel. :hug

Now I am worried about how to prevent this from happening to Chiclet, the ranchu in the same tank. He is acting fine, eating, full of breeding stars but I cant put him with my other fish now since Jelly might have passed something on. :hmm

Oh no I am so sorry Erin :( That was so fast! At least he didn't suffer for very long :cry1

It is only my opinion but I just cannot believe this was flukes. I know how flukes are and the fish flash something terrible and it is highly infectious. I think it was a bacterial gill infection which can flip a fish over very quickly. Princess had a bacterial infection inside and I saw nothing till she got floaty...I should keep Chicklet separate for a little longer to see if he has any symptoms but it seems like he may be all-right.

Again- I'm so sorry, Jelly was a lovely fish :heart