Sign in to follow this  
Trinket

Using Salt

I am considering using this method to salt my tank for my one goldfish. Can I do this with both fish even if one may not be sick?

Yes, it is fine to salt both fish at once. Though if your fish is sick, you should remove it to a quarantine tank to minimize the risk of spreading the disease. :)

well the only thing that makes me think he is sick is the red veins in his tail has become exagerate (though he isn't bleeding or anything. its just his viens) and he is constantly sitting lazily at the bottom or at least, near it. So I thought I would salt and see what happens. As it is better then just guessing and medicating. He has no other signs of illness no fin clamping, no loss of appetite. My Ammonia and Nitrite are 0, all 3 times I tested.

Does salting the tank disturb the cycle? What does "crashing the cycle with salt" mean? :whatjust:

Does salting the tank disturb the cycle? What does "crashing the cycle with salt" mean? :whatjust:

It can disturb and potentially crash a cycle yes. Especially if done too fast. Salt should be done in stages to acclimatize the fish AND bbs. When a tank is starting up the bbs are very delicate and do not reproduce as easily as a long time established tank. Salt can definitely disturb them.

If possible try to avoid salt while cycling. If you are at the nitrite phase of cycling 0.1% should be okay and actually helps protect the fish from the damage nitrites cause to their gills and from almost anything in the water but nitrobacter (the second stage of the nitrogen cycle where these bbs convert nitrite to nitrate the 3rd and final stage)are sensitive to it.

Cycling from scratch therefore I dont think it should be added (unless you get severely high nitrites - which you should not be getting if the cycle is well monitored)..BUT a nitrite tweak in a well established tank is a diff story. More robust set of reproducing bbs can take the salt and in this case its the better evil than sudden nitrites.

What happens if salt is not dissolved before putting in tank :blink:

The fish may eat it. Which is not a good thing. It won't kill them but it is not good for them, salt should be dissolved in a cup/jug of tank water or de-chlorinated/Primed water first so it disperses smoothly and evenly into the water. Ideally it should look like a cloud of white -for a few moments- as it enters with no granules visible at all.

Guest jmah

Should I use a heater with my goldfish? 40g tank. It usually stays around 64

I would also like to say that I have used salt on small fish with success. There is a belief out there that salt is bad for small fish. I never had a problem using it.

I do not know what it's effects on "fry" would be, perhaps Trinket can say, since she is experienced with fry.

The fish I used it on were pearlie babies- no bigger than the fingnail on my index finger. They had Ich and were in 3% for about 2 weeks. They both survived and showed no stress.

I have since used it on other small fish. no problems to report.

I have a question. I keep seeing references to 'fry'. At what age is a fish no longer considered a fry?

Well this is interesting .... To me when they start to get about 1" big and get color they are now in the baby stage and not a fry anymore...

Very very useful post! Thank you!

Sign in to follow this