Sign in to follow this  
Guest Berserkerer

Home Remedies For Ich?

Guest Berserkerer

I can't take a trip out to the pet store right now, and my fish is displaying signs of ich.

Is there any home remedies for ich?

when my gf had ick i just used the old salt and heat method. it worked very well and cured the fish fast. i also made sure to do my gravel washes though and add back the salt that i took out out. i was in the same boat i was not able to get meds. salt is more natural but just remember it may or may not work. give it a try though :) i added 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. this worked for me and my fish was happy :)

Guest Berserkerer

What type of salt did you use?

And how much did you heat?

Don't use table salt! Kosher, pickling, or rock salt are ok if they are just pure salt. Add 1 tsp. per gallon to get to 0.1% salinity, then 12 hours do it again, and 12 hours after that do it one last time. That is 0.3% salinity, which should take care of the ich. If you change any water, make sure to add back only the salt for the gallons you removed (carefully monitor how many gallons you remove or you could end up with more salt in your tank than you want). You should dissolve the salt in some tank water before you add it and don't pour it directly on the fish or near your filter.

Temperature should be in the high 70s, but be careful not to raise the temp too quickly. Continue treatment until the ich has not been visible for at least 3 days. You'll need to do a good gravel vac when you're done to get rid of the dead parasites on the bottom.

Honestly,

salt did not work for me. After five days, my goldfish got worse. I had to use Quick Cure. This is a cheap medicine, but it worked great.

Good luck!

Biggest thing people dont realize is that you have to turn of the lights, those bugs like the light, it helps to hatch there eggs. you should just salt, heat, turn off lights.

QuickCure is fine too, it just that it is a bit harsh on some fish, and it will turn toxic if you put it into the fridge. Salt is gentler, easier to come by as well. But if you have QC, feel free to use it. I have used it with success years ago. Just make sure you have your tank lights off, since light deactivates QC. And WATCH your fish closely, better yet have a bucket with clean tank water handy in case of side effects on the fish. :)