Giant Fish

Do any of you get the magazine, it is called Aquarium Fish Magazine or something like that? It had an article in it about a fish called a black pacu. It was huge, and the lady wrote the magazine and asked how she could move it. It weighed 30+ lbs! It was huge!

Ah! One of my all time favorite fish. They are gentle giants but they are given the nickname "tank busters" because they get spooked easily and are so large that one bad crash into the glass could send them and the tank water onto the floor.

I love big fish. Arapima Gigas is one of my favorites as well but they are more suited for zoos.

If you look around they is a rather popular forum dedicated to monster fish. Pacus defiantly aren't the largest. If you find it, be prepared to be shocked.

"Monster Fish Keepers" or are you talking about a different one?

And yeah, some of those fish are just amazing!

Yup. Suppose I could give the name...haha didn't want to upset Koko by posting a link to another forum.

They are amazing. My LFS gets monster fish like the ones on that board. So far no Pacu over 15 pounds but they had an adult silver arowana for $150 and they had the prettiest shovel noses. I wish they got some more rare fish but they mainly stick to rare reptiles. If common plecos weren't so dangerous to goldies I would snatch up the 18 inch one they have for only $20!

Guest im-trying

I love pacus, especialy black ones ive heard that the red ones can be a bit more agressive. I really want to build a huge pool for some oneday. Ive seen a 4 footer before it was in the "returns" section of a local fish farm. They have loads of big fish in pools in there like plecs, pasanguias etc general fish mis sold.

I think the only way to move a fish of that size is to put a harness around it and transport it in a tank or a big polystyrene box. Tricky stuff to move fish of that size but i think it would be doable.

One cool looking fish Kissy :D

You sure would need some size of tank to house a fish that size.

Thanks for posting the pic, I couldn't find a good one. There are some type of pacu at Seaworld Orlando in the exibit with the manatees. They are some massive fish, but I am not sure if they are black pacus. They probably are though.

They are also called tankbusters because they get to big for almost every tank people put them in if they are keeping them as pets. :D

Archived