Boy And Girl Together

dickey_moe

Is it o.k. to keep a male and female in the same tank as long as you use a divider?

Should they not be able to see each other? Will it make them both dysfunctional to be together?

will they tear down any barrier to get together?

As long as the tank is large enough to divide (They should have at least 2 gallons each, preferably more) and the divider is stable and tall, it should be fine. If its flimsy or you don't lower the water level they can usualy jump over. I keep my male and female in tanks right next to eachother. They've been there for almost a year and they really entertain eachother, both flaring several times a day, without stressing.

Thanks!

it's a 5 gallon tank. I would say they each have at least 2 gallons each, so I'm good there. They can see each other a little through the holes in the barrier but the barrier is not permanent yet. I wanted to try it out before I did anything. The male flares from time to time whe he sees her, but he dosen't seem overly concerned .

I am worried a little about the female. She is not eating much.

Although people have kept both male and female Bettas together in one tank,it usually doesn't work out in general.Just when you start to become comfortable,you're going to find that the majority of Betta's will attack each other at some point.The only time that I was to ever do this was with 3 very young siblings that I got from a Breeder,and that only worked until they were around 6 months old.When I spawned my Betta's,even the babies didn't take that long to begin showing those traits,and I had to separate them.

You can try and take that chance,but to me,that's like asking for trouble. :unsure:

As for your Bettas,how long have they been in the new tank?Water params good?

Are they brand new fish to you,or have you had them a while?

Most times if it's all new to them,they will calm down after a few days and begin to pick up a routine,including food. :D Every once in a while,you may run into a couple of Betta's that are just too stressed out because they do share a divided tank.You'll just have to keep your eye on them and make the call.Their personalities are just all so unique,so it may take some careful watching to decide what's best for them. :D

Keep us posted.

Archived