Oranda In Trouble?

Guest Berserkerer

Guest Berserkerer

I walked by my tank and I saw my Oranda was lying on the gravel. As I came to the tank he raced to the top of the tank, and there were small bits of poo in the place he was.

Then he came crashing down into the gravel! :o

Then he swam to the end of the tank, bamming against the glass a couple of times, and crashing down to the gravel.

What's going on with him? All my other fish seem normal, except for my red cap.

He won't leave the filter's side, which is weird, since he always tended to stay away from it.

What are your test results?

He could be like most of my orandas, very sensitive to any changes. Is his tail red?

Almost sounds like he could of swallowed something or eaten something thats messing with him which is making him feel icky. Just in case feed him some boiled peas since it will clean out his digestive track and get him some energy.

Guest Berserkerer

I don't have any materials to conduct any tests right now.

He's swimming on his side now. He has a red dot on the top part of his tail.

Don't know if he can go after peas right now.

Guest Berserkerer

Don't think he can be saved...

He's nearly completely white and his insides are purple.

I made a mistake when I took him out. Now he's even weaker from the short lack of water between the tank and the quarantine bucket.

Won't eat when I handfeed him. He lies on the bottom of the bucket side up.

Its never a good idea to remove a severely ill fish from a stable tank into a new set up or quarantine bucket. Stress from the move and the un-cycled water can compromise the immune system.

You need to go out and buy a test kit ASAP. The first thing to do if you suspect something is wrong is to test the water. Testing can tell us many things and could potentially lead us to an appropriate diagnosis and treatment plan.

By hand feeding do you mean force feeding or just holding the food until he swims over and takes it? Force feeding can cause excess stress.

Put him back in the tank if he is alive, go pick up a heater, test kit(needs ph, nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia) and some freshwater aquarium salt.

Guest Berserkerer

I didn't force feed him, I held him gently and placed a pea near his mouth.

I've never had any reason to buy a test kit before... where might I get one?

Is it wise to move him out of the water again?

Sorry to hear that your fish is sick.I know that you don't have the test kit to perform the water changes,but if you could answer as many questions as you can from up above,that will give us some more of an idea as to what may be the problem.Post soon.

"I've never had any reason to buy a test kit before... where might I get one?"

It's important to point out that the reason to own a test kit is that you keep fish.

Water tests for PH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate need to be done on a weekly basis when performing water changes. The water chemistry will provide very important info about your fishes environment. For instance, if you have had a PH crash, or if something has gone wrong with the nitrifying bio-cycle of the tank, or if the nitrate has climbed way too high. All these types of things have an effect on the fish.

You can get a test kit (drops are best) from most pet stores or any local aquarium shop.

Really hoping your fish can be saved. :)

How is your fish, Berserkerer - did he make it?

Archived