Its Like Pouring Water Into The Ocean!

Ranchugirl

Oi, if just goldfish would spawn this easily! :thud

Our main koi pond was finished a few days ago, and we had taken out the koi from their temp home into this pond. Yeah, well, you guessed it - two mornings of crazy spawnings! Those koi, you turn around and they spawn! You change a little water and they spawn. A thunderstorm passing through, and they spawn!

So, yes, we collected another 1000 or so eggs and have them in a rubbermaid now. The first batch of fry also found their way into their permanent home this week, and doing great.

Boy, I would kill if I could make my ryukin spawn like that! :rolleyes:

Is it the pond or just that they are koi? I mean goldies in a pond might spawn a lot more in all the space

wouldn't they? Or not :D ? NEway Congrats again on another batch of babies and fingers crossed the Ryus will catch on soon :D

:o You got one of the ponds done Andrea?Well,Pics are in order of course :D

Those darn Koi must be something else to watch,no?I bet they're wild and boisterous,and have water splashing everywhere. :rofl Between you and Carol,you could start a mail order company. :rofl

It's funny how everyone but the ones you want spawn so easily. :D Good luck!

I am throughly convinced that the cold, dormant period is truly what it is all about in stubbon fish - they really seem to need it.

I did an experiment last winter. All my fish are indoors and I cannot get the tank temps below about 70F - the house is at 65-68 and the tanks stay at about 70. So I cludged up a "chiller" involving an old dehumidifyer, a water pump and an old desktop refrigerator and took two tanks of fish down to 56-58 for about 4 weeks. Fed sparingly, the fish were fine, and came back ripe and ready for breeding in February when I raised the temp. Thusly, I had 4 rounds of Ryukin spawnings of between 500-1000 fry per spawning. The fish that were not chilled (Bubba, Bear and Bertha being the prime examples - I was worried about Bertha's floatiness and did not want to experiment on her) have not successfully bred this season.

Bubba did manage to breed with Peaches in a very laid back and sedate manner - but she came to me loaded for spawning. I can take no credit for that one.

You should be able to chill your fish well in Georgia, Andrea. It gets colder there than in Florida.....

Koi will be koi - as we all know! They are the cats of the fish world! ;)

Carol, isn't that more like the rabbits of the fish world? :rofl3

Mine got cooled down nicely during the winter - more than usual with their first winter in GA. It got a lot colder here than in FL, and especially my ryukin, and my girl ranchu, have come out of that one fat and round. Especially my favorite ranchu, a calico girl, is so darn fat, it isn't even funny. But no activity whatsoever when it warmed back up in spring.

Funky with my ryukin - they all seem to be males. 5 out of 7 I see breeding stars on, one is hard to tell, and one is too small to tell. I found some very nice fish at the fish store this week, and I am going to get them tomorrow. They were labeled as fantails, but have such predominant humps that they can easily pass as a ryukin, and they also have that deep ryukin body. The store just got those in, and with a change of environment, I can easily tell which ones are the males. I just get one of the other ones without breeding stars. After quarantine, I put them into the ryukin tub - thats how I got my oranda fry (added 2 males after quarantine).

At the moment it is just too warm to get them to spawn, I think. Air temps are anywhere from the mid 90s to the low 100s, pond water is in the low 80s. The water that comes in with a water change is somewhat cooler, but that hasn't impressed anyone enough to consider spawning.

Well, I just keep waiting and feeding, and feeding some more... :rolleyes:

Sharon, I'll be taking some pictures this weekend - after the men did all the work on the ponds, they decided it wasn't their turn to clean it up, too, so today I had to remove dozens of bags of empty concrete, lumber leftovers and whatever not. Now it looks presentable.... :D

And while I watered the plants this morning 30 ft away, I heard some suspicious splashing out of the koi pond. I wonder what they were doing.... :thud

:rofl Andrea,your back yard is going to look sorta like one huge pond if your Hubby's crazy Koi don't settle down. :yikes Tell the Koi to cool it,as you need FAncy Goldfish room. :D

As for pics,I can't wait.You'll have to start a whole new post chocked full of info like size etc,how you did it,etc,as you know all us pondlovers love that sort of stuff. :D

Leave it to the"Tough guys"to not clean up the mess,no?

Anyway,I bet you'll love landscaping etc,around them,and next year will be the exciting one. :exactly

I am eager to see pictures!!!!

Actually, rabbits may make loads of babies, but cats are the sluts of the animal world - followed closely by your koi, apparently! ;)

Are you coming this August to the show? We always start at about 4 pm, drive to StLouis outskirts and stay overnight. The next morning we drive on into Atlanta so we can have lunch with my brother...... it is not that bad a drive - the worst is the part up through Indiana at the bottom of the lake. Consider it..

When I finally get these ryukins of size enough that I can predict a bit more how they will turn out, I will be happy to see if there might be one in there that is female for you - if you still want...... :D

How chilled did your goldfish get? What was the lowest temp? How did you feed them? Did you have any diseases that needed to be addressed before, during or after? Are you planning on bringing any in for the winter? (Always looking for more info!)

whats the best way to chill goldfish...

I have a few males(one from my fry a year and half ago)...they started chasing females for a week, but no spawning this year... :(

The easiest and best way is to have a dedicated fish house - as a separate structure than the main house - or at least on a different heating system. The fish in there can be brought to your chosen temperature depending on how you control the heating of the building. That is what I am designing for my new house. At this time, since I cannot have outdoor ponds (too much aggressive wildlife!), I am stuck with realatively expensive DIY chiller setups.

Placing your fish in an outdoor pond in moderate winters will do the job nicely. It can easily get to -25F here, so that is out of the question for me. I have delicate long tails on my fish..... not condusive to very low temps.

Carol, the lowest temperature (over a longer period of time, that is) was about 35 degrees air temps and the high 40s in water temperature. That should do it, I figure. Well, and since we moved end of October last year, I didn't feed them the way I would have, to avoid any ammonia and other problems. They haven't gotten the usual amount as well, but their usual diet. Which was soaked koi food (growth and color enhancing varieties) and frozen krill. That was last fall. Food was rather sparingly for a while after we moved, and that could have set them back somewhat. No parasites to speak of, and that I am really happy about, since I suspected maybe the move and different environments, plus the week in just 30 gl rubbermaids, might have brought something on - but nothing.

I will not bring them in for the winter - they did just fine last winter, and I talked with Terry about the fact that the FL winters are to mild, and not long enough, to get sufficient spawning going. So, I'd rather keep them outside to take advantage of the longer and colder winters.

And yes, I'll be in Atlanta this year. Would be a shame not to go, since its only 3 hours away from me. I think Koko mentioned something about coming too, so that would be wonderful. And YES, I definetely am interested in some of your fry. That would be wonderful - especially those broadtails. :heart Or Phoenix

Maybe, I am not sure yet. I would hope so, for three reasons: Finally meeting you, finally meeting John Parker, and seing Peter and his wife again. And of course meeting Ron and Ken, if he decides to make the trip again.

Ron will be there with this year's spawnings and a bunch of choice fish. Ken will not - he got a great big booking for a wedding on that weekend and could not pass up the money - he makes ooodles more at a wedding than at a show......

I will, of course, be here, but you do not have to drive all the way to meet me - I do not know if I am worth that - I might disappoint you! John Parker will be here. Peter and his wife, will, of course be here - his wife tends to show up at the end of the show and the awards dinners. :)

Geez, Carol, don't talk like that!! Are you kidding me? Besides that being a great show, you'd be the main reason I would love to come up there. Isn't it amazing how fast it is already July?? Only one more month!! :thud

Are you planning on showing some of your Phoenix too?

Eros will be entered, providing his tail is in good shape. It has been for most of 2 years - no problems or redness. Those show tanks can play havoc with those tails, though. I may or may not enter any of the females. They have been beaten up a bit breeding this spring..... There is one red and white female who is really pretty.....so she may come. I also may or may not bring the blues - they are not particularly elegant - but interesting. I may ask Peter if he is bringing any. I will not be bringing my black - she is going red anyway and is too ...... gravid to come most of the time....

I am counting the days. I start adding mud to the tanks and food when I return from CA - and start prepping...... Sterling, Toby, Nigel, Freckles, Clementine, BlueMoon (depending on tail), Kermit, ERos, Bubba, Peaches, Phinious, and may be a couple of other adults will be going. I am going to take a collection of fry from all the spawnings - mainly for an opinion - on all kinds of conformation questions.....

I am eager. I want to buy air stones and possibly a new air pump. I want to see the orandas at Ron's - I need a nice male oranda. :bounce :

Just out of curiosity - what is the mud good for?

That'll be interesting about the fry and how they fare under a judge's eye in ways of confirmation, the standars and such. That will give you so much insight in what to look for in a fry. For example, I personally am still fascinated with what accuracy judges look at ranchu, and when I see just a ranchu tail, other people see so much more. This whole thing is such a great learning curve to talk to people personally and see the differences from a professional's eye.... :thud

But one thing for sure - with your collection, I can just guess who will bring home the most trophies... :thumbs:

I look for the back in the ranchu - and rarely look at the actual fins on the tail.... strange, huh? I guess that came from the seminar that we had last year - where John explained in detail what he was looking for in the entire package of ranchu - back, tail, head, etc. I find that the curvature of the back holds much more facination to me than the tail tuck or tail conformation.

I actually have a few fry that I continue to watch that may fall into the category of less-than ranchu - the backs do not have the full, perfect arc of a tight circle, but they are pretty symetrical and fairly rounded. I think I would place them as Lionchu if I were to place them. Unfortunately, Lionchu will have no place in the judging of a UK judge - another reason why Bear will be staying homethis year. If there were a Lionchu category he could do well, but he does not quite fit into either end of the spectrum of ranchu/lionhead.....

Ryukin is, first, about the tail, and then, as they develop, the body type truly separates the different fry..... some quickly develop into several classes - ones that have bodies that are as deep or deeper then they are long, and those that are not. Ranchu fry are all about the back curve when smaller. The phoenix are not well enough established to be much more than with or without dorsal or tails that are long or not...... There is little actual matching quality there, yet. I am simply hoping for reasonable conformation carrying the blue color. I can work on better conformation as I get more fish - and branch out to various lines. 3 male blues do not a line make!!!!!

I really hope you can come up..... That would be WONDERFUL! I was very disappointed last year when you'all did not make it - and Georgia is really not all that far. With closing on the property and my grandson's birth, I will not make it to the show there, but hope to in the future!

:)