Community Tank With Females

love goldfish

I have a 30 gallon and had a few bettas in there before. One female was left with some tetras. So I went and bought 6 more females for the tank. The one that was in the tank before I bought them were flaring at the females as they were being acclimated. I was concerned but kept an eye on all the babies, the new ones are quite small, for a while and yes my original female starting nipping and fighting with them :wa . I told my son if she started any problems with the new little ones that he has a betta for his room, well she is going there soon. I have her in a jug, only used for tanks, until he gets home and he sets up his tank. She is the prettiest and I told him to take very good care of her, but I will make sure of that. So that is my story, if you start a female community tank make sure you get them at the same time or the same size.

IMO bettas are all different and size/age have never been a factor for me. How long did you quarantine them and condition them? Any betta will fight if not prepared.When breeding its recommended you condition for 4 weeks mostly to get the eggs goin' but for females who are going into a community I recommend 2 weeks condition after 2 weeks quarantine.

I bought them at a petstore, had nothing to do with breeding them. If there is a territorial, larger fish in tank and you add some more, there could be problems. If you had no problems then that is good, doesn't happen to everyone. She is safe in my son's bedroom in her little tank. She is fine. For me I have never quarantined my fish and had no problems. Some people swear by it and that is great. I don't have the room for a quarantine tank and never seen the reason to quarantine any fish from the others IMO.

Ah, I should have been more clear on the breeding part. I only mention it because if the male and female aren't conditioned then they will rip each other up, same principles for introducing female to female. Oh, I've had problems, it just never been an age/size factor because aggression is a personality trait that can be solved with conditioning.Age/Size come into the equation when you add an unstable fish to a stable community. Naturally the smaller ones will be weaker to a large aggressive fish, however they won't have problems if the fish has been conditioned to live with other fish.

Putting fish in quarantine is important because you don't want to be spreading diseases that could wipe out you whole tank. Most think that because bettas are house individually at the stores that there is no risk but in truth there is just as much of a risk because you have no idea is the breeder shipped the batch and they all had internal parasites or some other disease. Quarantine for bettas can be done with a small tub or even a plastic critter cage placed on a counter or anywhere it can fit. All you need to do is watch the betta to make sure no disease pop up. By not quarantining fish you are putting the others at risk which isn't very fair to them.

Guest sandie66

Wow that's odd. I have a sorority with about 10 or 11 girls. I swear a couple of them are giants, they are just huge. Some of them are just tiny little things and I have had no problems. Maybe your "girl" is a short finned boy????

that was one of my thoughts too Sandie. could the one you think is a female be a short finned boy like a plakat ? But that being said girls do fight over territory when they first get introduced like Kissy mentioned. usaully the tank will settle down once they become used to each outher .

No i am sure they are all females, not males. I couold have waited and been patient and it probably would have settled down in the tank but didn't want my bettas hurt in any way. My 6 females are doing great in the tank. They will be happier soon, I put in 5 plants, co2 and getting proper lighting for more plants. Soon it will be full of plants and I will never see them, they will always be in the plants somewhere. I don't think I am going to go crazy with plants, but it would be nice to have a semi planted aquarium, I love the look.

That will help the girls out a lot if you have a place for them to hide from the the girl that is bullying them. It may settle down soon after you plant your tank. sounds like you just have an alpha female on your hands. She is like me she thinks she is the queen. :bingo:

I took the large bully out and put her in a 3 gallon tank in my son's room, he loves her. Just have to remind him everyday to feed her, needs to get used to feeding her as soon as he wakes up. I wake up and feed my dog, cat and fish even before a coffee and smoke. He will get into a routine and I won't have to remind him anymore. Just have to tell him when it is time to change the water, but that is not hard. I have a gravel vac he can use and doing 2 water changes in 2 days will equal 100% water change. I now have a python so I don't need that gravel vac anymore. Yayyyyyyyyyy, no more pails for me, bad back.

My son might want a male betta soon, maybe when plants get more fuller in tank I can get him one and add the large female back in tank. What do you think, would that work, maybe she wouldn't be the alpha female after being out of the tank for awhile.

That could work. They may have their pecking order established by then. That is an excellent way to teach you son responsiblity. I feed my two and the snails before I eat and make the bed in the morining too.

Archived