Sign in to follow this  
Guest smiley

My Pearlscale May Have Gas Bubble Disease?!?

Guest smiley

-How long has the tank been set up? 1 year

-Water test readings:

--Ammonia:0

--Nitrite:0

--Nitrate:5.0

--pH:7.6

--KH:?

--GH:?

--Water Source (tap or well) tap

--Water Source Readings (used as a baseline for above):Tap water has ammonia in it.. .25

-Water Temperature:78

-How much water the tank holds:20 gal

-What kind of filtration:Bio wheel Penguin 150

-Water conditioner used:Prime

-Routine tank maintence:5 gal 1x a month amd try to do 1 gal 1x a week new filter 1x a month and Aquarium salt

-What, how much and how often do you feed your fish? 1x per day switch peas, Alegae Wafers, Hikari Lionhead sinking mini pellets (goldfish store said ok for fantails) and Tetra sinking sticks.

-Tank inhabitants: 2.5 in Pearlscale and 1.5 in Black Moor

-New fish or plants added to the tank? What type and when? Were they quarantined:NONE

-Medications used:NONE

-Describe what problems you are seeing: Bubble on her body next to pectoral fin and 1 small one on her butt. She seems to get a swollen eye every time I feed her then by the next day it goes away. Then 4 days ago I thought she was loosing 2 scales, but then what I thought was scales was actually bubbles.. My Black Moor has been sick since I got him and Pearl has always been fine except for the eye and now bubbles. Now that they have gotten bigger I have gotten them a 40 gal tank. I thought I was a good fish mom but I am now doubting myself.. I searched and found contrdicting things about the rare gas bubble disease but am unsure. I hear it is lethal!! Please help my babies..

Ps I also have an airstone in the tank

Edited by smiley

I am in no position to help, but do you by chance have any pictures that you can show us?

if you can upload it to something like Photobucket.com and then post the link, we'll be able to see it.

Sounds more bacterial than anything else. You need to do more in the way of water changes per week. Try doing half the tank twice a week and dont use cold water, try warming it first.

A slightly bigger filter with more media in it might help too.

Guest smiley

hmmm.. the tank is a 20 gal and the bio-wheel 150 is for a 30 gal. A bigger filter may make too much motion for the tank.

Edited by smiley

u could get a slightly bigger filter, the bigger the better, as long as its not too big

The other thing you could do is get a another smaller filter and have that in addition to the larger filter. I have two in my tank and my fish do fine with the current since there are still a couple places where it's gentle so they can rest.

Smiley, any news on your pearlie? Are the bubbles still there? :)

Guest smiley

hey there Ranchugirl... I finally got the meds 11 days later.. My 1st shipment never got to me. The supplier sent me another shipment. So I put the Prazi in the tank and found out I do not have enough to do the treatment suggested on GAB. I have also been feeding them the medi-food

She seems to be doing the same, her poops look different than they have before.. I think that is a good sign. the 1st bubbles popped and came back a few times. now they are gone and a new one popped up in a different spot. she also has what looks like a deep bruise. not on her skin but deep, and its about a 1/2 inch behind her gills.

Her eye still swells up when she eats.. it's the strangest thing.

Edited by smiley

Guest smiley

So AWESOME... I explained to Ed at Goldfish Utopia my predicament and he sent me enough to do the complete treatment at no charge. What a great person! Retailers just don't do that kind of stuff. It reminds me of the stories my grandma use to tell me about, like the Andy Griffith show and Mayberry.. Again I thank everyone of your for your input and suggestions. I just cant say it enough.

Anywho, no progress seen yet. Pearl still has strange bubbles coming out in different places.. I will keep you posted.

one of my pearlscale had a similar tumor few months ago. I had a topic in here to ask people how I could cut/remove it. However, I decided to leave it alone. Few weeks later, it fell off. I have no idea what it was though.

Smiley, I am really sorry about Pearl. May she go to heaven in peace.