Parasite Clear

Guest Kilope

Guest Kilope

So my goldfish has had decreasing health for about a week now. She hasn't eaten in about 5 days and she hasn't pooped in about 3. She will sit at the top of her tank or at the very bottom but tends to sit very still. She gasps for air and has clamped fins, she'll sometimes violently dart about and has just taken to sitting behind the filter.

On Saturday, my other common goldfish, the only other fish in her tank... died very unexpectedly but started showing similar symptoms only 12 hours before his death.

The tank is nine days old and no, I didn't let it cycle... but I've been doing daily water changes of about 20-25% (sometimes I do every other day but it's usually every day,) and yesterday I did a big 50% water change and scrubbed all the items which I now know was not wise as it sets back the cycling a bit. However I was determined to try and get rid of whatever caused the sudden death of my goldfish.

The tank is a 40 gallon tank with a filter that claims to work for 40 gallons but I've been informed that it may not be good enough for a goldfish tank. My pH is about 7.2, my nitrate at about 0-5, my nitrite at about .001 (not quite zero but incredibly close.) And my ammonia levels are currently just above .000 JUST above.

I treat the tap water with Stress Coat and a small small bit of Prime (every other time... not enough for the whole tank but just to keep the ammonia less harmful.)

And just recently I added four tablets of Parasite Clear. While some of the symptoms my fish were displaying suggested ammonia burn etc. getting the ammonia levels to nearly 0 were uneffective in making them healthier and then one of my fish died. I let the tablets dissolve first before I added them in and now the water is a bit tinted but I'm guessing that's normal since the dissolved tablets made the water I dissovled them in a dark orange.

The box says to do a partial water change within 48 hours after adding them and then to do another treatment.

I don't know which parasite she has, or if she even has one for that matter but many people here have told me that it seems like she has a parasite and that I need to treat it. Within minutes after adding the Parasite Clear she was back to sitting at the top right beside the filter and I'm wondering how long it will be before I notice a difference in her health? I am aware that if it's not a parasite she won't change but I'm wondering at what point should I realize whether this treatment is working or not.

Edited by Kilope

Guest Kilope

Pixie: Parasite clear says and I quote: "removes external and internal parasites from tropical (is that a problem?) fish including flukes, internal worms, lice, anchor worms, and flagellates..." I'm assuming that the word tropical may come back to haunt me but it says it's safe for freshwater fish and it was the only Parasite Clear that I've seen and many people have been recommending it.

Plus toothless gave it a great review in the product/medication forum.

The only thing making me nervous about it is the warning: "This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer." :blink: Yikes. Um but if you think it's flukes well it's one of those that it says it can get rid of with only two treatments max... so that'd be good. But I'll wait and seek a second opinion. ;)

Um, another question: would I be able to see flukes? It shows them on the box but I can't tell if it's trying to show what they look like under the skin or not. And once more... would they cause her to stop eating? (I'll look them up now).

Yup yup yup, thank you for your advice. With school finally over I'm feeling a bit more confident about Peanut... of course when I'm incapacitated after my surgery on Thursday her tank may have to go unchanged for a few days. :(

Guest Kilope

Yay! Peanut's pooped again! Not a lot and it's red (but so is her food) still though, she's pooped!

Which must mean she ate at least a little bit sometime recently. Yay!

Was this Parasite Clear's doing? :D

Poop has never made me so happy.

She's still sitting by the surface though. :(

Guest Kilope

Yet another note... I've just noticed that Peanut's underbelly is quite dark looking. Perhaps her pooping isn't as good as a sign as I'd hoped?

There's just a small line in the middle of her underbelly that almost looks black. It wasn't there before. Should I be concerned?

And her unwillingness or... inability to swim around seems to have gotten worse. I'm hoping she's just a bit stressed and needs to rest but I put my little net in and got to a point where I was just about touching her and she barely flinched, while she usually will dart away. I take it that it's not a good sign. :(

Sorry, I'm getting a tad antsy because I want to know if there's any indication that the Parasite Clear may be starting to work. Or if she's just getting sicker.

Oh Kilope, I really can't advise you on the meds because I don't have the personal experience with them and would hate to tell you the wrong thing. I'm sure someone will advise soon.

The black marks could be ammonia burn - the fact that she's in an uncycled tank it makes it very probable. They are usually an indication that healing has already begun.

Hi Kilope,

I'm far from an expert but most problems with fish in tanks that are not cycled are water quality related. I would do a large water change (50-60%) depending on your test results and add a full dose of prime to your tank if not a double dose. I'd continue to fully dose your tank with prime with each water change. Eg. 50 gallon tank, I capful of prime.

As far as flukes go parasite clear is very helpful as I'm sure you read from Paul's post, it contains praziquantel. Prazi powder is another option but quite pricey. For now I'd do a water change, feed sparingly to keep the ammonia levels down and go from there.

Is there any way you can take a photo of the black stripe on her belly?

I'm sure one of the experts will be along soon.

Hang in there!

Kate

Guest Kilope

I did another ammonia test, assuming that I'd need to do another water change to lower the levels, however to my surprise I have basically .000 ammonia in the tank. :blink: I'm still not super knowledgable about the whole cycling process but doesn't that happen when it's half way done?

In any case... I did a strip test (it tests for things like nitrites/nitrates, pH, chlorine... etc.) and all my other levels seemed okay. Nitrite was somewhere between 0 and .5, a partial water change will correct this right?

Peanut continues to sit at the top of her tank gasping. I was a bit worried that maybe there wasn't enough air in the water but I have four airstones in there and the filter provides a steady stream of bubbles.

Oh Peanut, I'm trying to make you better but I can't figure out what's wrong.

I'm planning on doing another Parasite Clear treatment tomorrow (48 hours after the first one), I would wait longer but I'm having surgery Thursday and you need to do a partial water treatment with each Parasite Clear treatment.

The water is currently looking quite cloudy but it's been like this since I first added Parasite Clear (although now it's not orange tinted) and I believe it's just because of that but it may need to be mentioned.

I feel a little stressed out because I'm using a product that has a warning that it contains a chemical that may cause cancer, and I can't seem to get any solid advice on it. I'm just feeling really antsy because she really looks like she's barely clinging to life. I've been feeding only once a day since she never eats anyways and maybe she'll get hungrier and want to eat but she hasn't touched anything. Ah!

Sorry. I appreciate the support you guys are giving though. :)

I did another ammonia test, assuming that I'd need to do another water change to lower the levels, however to my surprise I have basically .000 ammonia in the tank. :blink: I'm still not super knowledgable about the whole cycling process but doesn't that happen when it's half way done?

Your ammonia reading is close to zero because there's only one fish in such a big tank and that fish is not eating and only pooped a little, that's why the ammonia is low. Ur cycling process is only just begun and with only one fish in there it's gonna take much longer for the cycling to finish.

Hi there. :)

I noticed that you haven't mentioned raising the salinity. When cycling new aquariums with goldfish in them, it's generally recommended to raise the salinity to to at least 0.1% for the nitrIte phase. This level of salinity and above provides a certain amount of protection from nitrIte poisoning due to cycling or bio-filter failures. To attain that salinity, dissolve 1gram per liter in newly drawn or aged water to add to the tank. This is the surest, most precise way to dose. Otherwise dissolve 0.13oz per gallon OR 3/4 level teaspoon per gallon. Keep in mind that when dosing by volume suggestions and care-sheets are ALL referring to medium grade salt crystals such as Doc Wellfish's aquarium salt. Also, salt cannot be filtered out nor can it evaporate. So, do not add salt to water that you use to top-off the tank from evaporation and be precise and careful about your maths and the actual gallonage of the tank.

The black line is definitely a sign of ammonia burns which signifies healing and that the ammonia is no longer present. This is reflected in your test results as well. Not to mention, she ate and pooped. It's no coincidence. However, the nitrIte phase is the one that can do some immediate damage as well as cause long term health effects. The salinity level I suggested above while help but only to an extent. Luckily, you have Prime. From here on out, use Prime, double dose at every waterchange. Forget about the stresscoat. It's very useful in some instances such as pH crashes but not here. Stick with salt and prime for now... ;)

If your fish does indeed have a parasite, we can and will assess that once the tank/filter has reached an equilibrium. But, in the meantime, try to give us a good description of previous and present swimming patterns or body movements/actions that seem out of place. With the correct combination of symptoms, I can often link parasites into the equation even though the cycling process produces some similar symptoms. In fact, each time you post, give us an update on present behavioral observations.

Good luck and post back soon..... :)

I'm glad to hear that Peanut is showing some signs of improvement!! :D Every little thing is a small success and you can take comfort in the fact that you are doing all you can to help him.

I wouldn't worry about the cancer warning on that box. I have used that product before with success and I think they must place the warning for legal reasons. In lab tests, they must use extreme amounts of the medications in order to discover side effects, proper dosages, etc. They may have found some cancer related to the product, but I'm sure it was only after repeated dosing at high levels for long periods of time. If used correctly, the product should not harm your fish. They've discovered that the oil used to deep fry french fries can cause cancer also, but how many fries does one have to eat in order to develop cancer? It's just a precaution against lawsuits.

You can find the aquarium salt Paul mentioned in the same aisle you found the Parasite Clear at your pet store. The one I usually find is in a blue box, a cardboard milk container looking thing. Get the big one!! You will save some money that way and you will use up the smaller box quickly. Do NOT use table salt (it has anti-caking agents in it that can harm your fish).

It may take a bit for Peanut to start feeling better. Keep his tank relatively dark and quiet so he can rest up and get well. Keep an eye on him and keep us posted! Good luck with your surgery as well!

Hun? I've just thought of something.

I am I mistaken, or are those test strip the ones you borrowed from your Mom's hot tub?

If so, stop using them and get yourself a proper drop tester ASAP!.

The ratio tested for in fish tanks is PPM - parts per million. I can't imagine the hot tub results need to be THAT precise. In which case, your nitrite score might be a great deal higher on a proper acquatic drop test result than it is on the hot tub strip! If I'm right, it will explain why your fish is gasping - nitrite blocks the uptake of oxygen.

So, even if the strips are in line with acquatic ones I would still get the dropper kit because strips are never as accurate. When your tank is cycling you must be as accurate as possible.

Can you post back?

PS. Hope your surgery goes well.

Guest Kilope

Pixiefish: No, see... the hottub test strips do chlorine and pH and some other totally unrelated stuff. The one I'm using is Jungle's 6 test in One Strip Quick Dip.

While it may not be perfect it's at least an indicator if a problem should arise.

Hm, I'd read about increasing the salinity however I'm almost afraid to touch salt because I've had a bad experience with it and other marine creatures (all my Sea-Monkeys died.) Plus once the salt's in there, the only way to get rid of it is to get rid of the water.

Ummm... Peanut hasn't eaten nor pooped since that post. And her tail is now kinked up slightly but noticeably. That's not good right? (In salmon it sometimes means they're sick, I think.)

I'll try adding a very small amount of salt when I do a water change/my final Parasite Clear treatment. Like a teaspoon.

Hey! Peanut made it through another night, even if she's barely alive.

P.S. Thanks Pixie! With any luck they'll finally be able to control my seizures.

Edited by Kilope

Guest Kilope

Hm... I guess it is brain surgery. Wow. How did that not occur to me earlier?! :blink:

They're not going to be poking around my brain or anything, they're just putting a patch on it that is suppose to regulate my brain waves. It's not really that dangerous but thank you! I'm more nervous about being put to sleep than the actual surgery. And then I need bedrest for at least a week. :( Not looking forward to that.

But um, thanks! It's good to know there are people who are concerned for me out there. :heart

Guest oranda_22_2

do you mean bed rest at home or in the hospital if its the hospital ask if you can keep peanut in your room just to be able to watch her/him

Guest Kilope

Um well I'm spending a minimum of two days there afterwards... then I can (supposedly) come home and I'm suppose to lie in bed/couch all day for an absolute minimum of five days and the only exception is quick trips to the bathroom.

Ugh, I'm starting to feel super nervous about the surgery. I get to take valium though before I go into the hospital which will make it better. :) Like my mum says; valium makes everything better.

I don't know that moving Peanut for what will likely be two to three days makes sense. I've found that her poor health causes me a lot of stress and the doctors won't even let my friends visit me in hospital because they don't want any added strain. I just hope that the measures I took today will keep her alive until I'm back on my feet.

I added a teaspoon of aquarium salt. That may not be enough but it's still more than there was before. I also did a 25-30% water change with Prime and I did another Parasite Clear Treatment. It's the best I can do.

Ah! I'm really nervous. Wish me luck!

I'm not getting any sleep tonight, I'll tell you that much.

Bye guys! :iwill Hopefully after this my seizures won't control my life anymore! :)

Wow! I am soooo excited for you! I know someone who's had the operation your going in for and it's helped him immensely. He explained to me about the positive feedback loop that occurs and how the patch stops the process from snowballing into a seizure by emitting electrical impulses the interfere with the misfires and some more stuff I can't remember. It's all terribly interesting....

As for your fish, I sure hope you're going to have someone else taking care of them while you're resting up from the procedure. Don't go doing anything foolish like straining yourself...... :unsure:

Trust me on the salt. The directions I outlined above will get your fish through the cycling phase quite nicely. Just be sure that the ammonia remains below 1ppm and the nitrIte remains below 2ppm.

Good Luck! You're going to be a new person after this! :D

Paul

Guest Kilope

Eh, I'm still in the hospital because they want to keep me for another EEG for a few days :( It's sucks having things glued onto your head running all through your hair (where they didn't shave it at least :cry1 I miss it.)

They let me have an hour of computer time today though, the internet connection messes with the EEG reading so I have to be careful. It may still pick up a major seizure but it won't record it accurately. Still they wanted to 'reward me' for having such good earlier readings.

So far I've had one seizure but it was only about 30 seconds and they told me that it probably wouldn't happen again for a long time after comparing it to the other recordings they've had. Yay! :D

Recovery isn't fun though. The pain medication they have me on makes me vomit and feel very very sick.

Sadly though, when I woke up to go into the hospital, Peanut was floating on the top of the water, dead. :cry1 Although I was really upset, in some ways it was almost a relief. She was so sick and I know I did all that I could for her with the Parasite Clear, daily water changes, and even the added aquarium salt. I'm going to miss her but this experience has left me a little more interested in owning guppies. Not because I don't feel like I can own goldfish without killing them, but because they're less maintainance and they won't produce ammonia (from what I've read.)

Who knows, I may get another goldfish but I'd like to thank all of you for your help and support. I may get to enjoy my summer now that my seizures may finally be under control. I think. My doctors have told me that there's a signifigant improvement in my EEG reading so I'm guessing it's helping a lot.

Eep! I have to go for now. Bye!

So sorry your fish died while you were having your proceedure. Sometimes these things can't be helped. :cry1

But I'm glad you've come through your surgery OK and am hoping the prognosis will be very good news.

Keep us posted and don't overdo it.......... :D