Popeye? Help!

Test Results for the Following: i dont know my water perameters because no place near me sells the testing kits and ive heard the strips suck, so i change do partial water changes very often.

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level out of the Tap?

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20

What is the name and size of the filter/s? whisper internal 10 to 20(i think)

How often do you change the water and how much? at least 40 percent every few days as needed

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2

What kind of water additives or conditioners? wardleys chlor out

Any medications added to the tank? malafix

Add any new fish to the tank? no but i did get some snails, but they came from a friend who is as much as a nut about her fish as i am so i am sure they are healthy, i quarnteened them for a week or so before adding them to my goldies tank.

What do you feed your fish? flakes, some green beans or peas once in a while.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", popped eye on my black moore

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? frayed fins, some sores they are pretty much healed by now

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..?

he seems to like to sit in the corner at the top of his tank near the filter.

well i think my fish has popeye but it doesnt look like pics ive seen, i need help, ive treated him with malafix(sp?) and its helping his tail to heal(i think he got into a fight with his tank mate, shredded tail, sores on his belly, both of wich are on the mend) but his eyeball is still popped out, not the socket(or whatever its called) but the eye itself is swollen, it looks like his eye is inside a little bubble, its so hard to look at him.

his tankmate(a regular calico fantail) is just fine and flourishing, but poor wasabi just looks as if hes wasting away, i dont think hes eating enough cause he has lost his beautiful egg shape and looks far to skinny compared to his brother, they are the same age, but sushi is much smaller. im so worried and i cant think of what to do , i feel terrible. please help me.

Edited by Hobbity1

Hello.

Sorry to hear about the fish.

I'm going to wait for someone more experienced to drop by, but I'm wondering about this.......

Are you sure the tattered fins and sores were due to a fight? I mean, had you seen them fight? It could be this was the result of a bacterial or parasitical problem which could explain why the fish seems to be wasting.

You really have to get a water test- kit. Fish keeping without one is impossible. You can order one online if there's nothing near you.

Also, you didn't say if the tank was new or how long it had been running - this is very important to know.

Post back and let us know.

PS The strong possibility is that this is the beginning of dropsy which will need medicating quickly.

Edited by Pixiefish

im sorry it took so long for me to get back to you, i dont have internet at home anymore, the tanks been running for about 6 months now, and i did not see them fight, but beings he looked pretty beat up i just figured that was a likely cause as this hapened overnight.

bad news is that he seemed to go pretty much south by the time i got home from posting this and wasnt moving much at all, poor thing didnt even react when i picked him up in the net.

i had read that thta is not a good sign at all so i tried to snare him again, same thing, no reaction, he was just about gone, so decided it was best to put him to sleep.

it was so hard to do it, i was a wreck, but he was clearly in pain of some sort and not doing good at all, i judt couldnt watch him struggling anymore.