Old Tank New Life

Guest laurie_strode

Guest laurie_strode

I've just brought one of my older tanks back in the house, and I want to clean it so that fish can live in there again, but there's this white film that will not clean off no matter how hard I scrub. Anyone know how to get rid of it? It's also on my hood...

Hi Laurie, what did you use to clean the tank out with? You could try soaking it in a bleach or Potassium Permanganate solution?

Here is a very useful thread in disinfecting/cleaning tanks

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...opic=41101&st=0

Sounds like water stains/marks, they are stubborn but should come off after a good soaking in a bleach or PP soulution, a scrub and a thorough rinsing :)

i was told that white vinegar will dissolve the white film (which is calcium i think) on the tank. you could use CLR as it does the same thing.

its not a matter of what you put in to clean, you just need to rinse that tank out really really well.

Yup. If it's just limescale, anything acid will do - citric acid, vinegar, or cut a lemon in half, even, and rub all around as if it were a sponge. Just try not to use a household limescale buster as they often have other chemicals too which might not rinse out and leave traces which could be harmful.